PDA

View Full Version : Provincial parks and Big Oil don't sound like a good match to me...

parkerbrom
04-07-2014, 02:08 PM
this is some ol' bullshit
http://action.sumofus.org/a/bc-parks...mining/?sub=fb (http://action.sumofus.org/a/bc-parks-open-oil-gas-mining/?sub=fb)
A series of laws and loopholes allowing oil and mining companies to operate within our provincial parks.
I am a geology student and future employee of these industries but this does not work for me!
What do you guys think? Sign the petition spread the link please
Cheers gents, Parker

HarryToolips
04-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Glad you found a petition.....

Seeker
04-07-2014, 04:00 PM
signed!!!!

two-feet
04-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Yes this is terrible. Im signed up.

kilometers
04-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Yep bs. Sighned

Quesnel Kid
04-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Signed and sent on. This stuff makes me so frustrated why does Canada feel the need to bend over for big business. What happened to democracy? I sure as hell did not vote for this.

buckguy
04-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Total BS! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Signed.

J_T
04-07-2014, 05:50 PM
I care about 100% of the land base. Not just parks. Actually in truth I care less about parks than the rest of the land. I can't say I would sign this.

What do we know about the background. Sure, on the surface they (the article) want you to be afraid of something. Stating Extractive Industries will have the 'right' to do certain things. You can't do something on the land, just because a law changes the status of a park, a company must have rights. Those rights can only come if the legislation responsible for administering those rights is changed. And that is a different conversation.

Confused
04-07-2014, 06:31 PM
this is fear mongering at its finest

Stresd
04-07-2014, 06:40 PM
No way I am signing. Typical scare tactics. The sky is falling. Odds are really good that if you follow the money, they are backed by Tides Canada (Tides foundation US) who are also big backers of the the Anti Griz hunting and anti wolf kill, climate change BS extra.............

Surrey Boy
04-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Signed and sent on. This stuff makes me so frustrated why does Canada feel the need to bend over for big business. What happened to democracy? I sure as hell did not vote for this.

I voted for this, as did many more.

Think of drilling wells as controlled extraction of toxic waste, being proactively removed before it spills everywhere in front of Jed Clampett.

Bear Chaser
04-07-2014, 07:02 PM
I can't be bothered to follow the link because I don't think it's an issue. There are pipelines all over the province including through Jasper National Park.

Andy83
04-07-2014, 07:05 PM
I wrote an email to my MLA regarding this, and received a detailed reply. I can't post it here off of my phone, but I would forward it to someone who could.

Caribou_lou
04-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Im ok with it. Tired of fear mongering in this province.

Gumsehwah
04-08-2014, 02:38 PM
I'm not OK with it.
There's enough places for pipelines to go without going through Provincial parks. If they want to put a pipeline through, then they should BUY the land at market value.

Gumsehwah
04-08-2014, 02:41 PM
BTW, Surrey Boy IS right. . . We DID vote for this. In a democracy, we get what was promised.

Surrey Boy
04-08-2014, 03:07 PM
IMHO, a pipeline does the same amount of damage as a powerline right of way.

Frosty
04-08-2014, 06:45 PM
IMHO, a pipeline does the same amount of damage as a powerline right of way.

The one thing about powerlines is that we don't have to clean up electrons...

dana
04-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Yea, mines in parks are a good thing ;) i wonder what the point of our Provincial Parks is if we allow resource extraction in them? What are they for then? Yup, I signed about a week ago.

J_T
04-08-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm not OK with it.
There's enough places for pipelines to go without going through Provincial parks. If they want to put a pipeline through, then they should BUY the land at market value. Well, I'm not sure there are 'enough' places for pipelines. Geography will typically determine the most appropriate location for a pipleine. That aside, I guess the question I would have, is when we create a park, and we take it out of the economic equations, should Parks Canada be compensating local communities that lose their economic potential?

J_T
04-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Yea, mines in parks are a good thing ;) i wonder what the point of our Provincial Parks is if we allow resource extraction in them? What are they for then? Yup, I signed about a week ago. The only reference to mines I read, was simply to get the readers attention. Having mines in a park will take more than changing a park act. It would require legislative change to areas available for acquisition of a right. That said, my question would be, if I can drill a hole from outside a park, and determine a viable resource beneath a park, and all of the mine access can be achieved from outside a park. Does a park hold the rights to the sub surface?