PDA

View Full Version : Seeking info on any Logging activity in the Chilko & Taseko Lakes area (5-5 and 5-4)

Junmity
04-07-2014, 01:49 PM
I have the opportunity to hunt with a friend that has been hunting this area for the last 20 years... He hasn't been there in several years and wanted to make sure that the place was still in tact.

I couldn't see any activity on the 2013 forest services tenures map but first hand knowledge is always best.

You'd be saving me a 8 hour drive to do some scouting.... If anyone has been in the area and can speak to any logging activity I'd appreciate it.

Out of respect for his hunting spot, I've kept the area broad but any activity in that general area would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

junkyard_g
04-07-2014, 01:55 PM
can always phone the local forest service office. Ask for whoever is in charge of operations/roads. They usually have a pretty good idea of whats going on where and whats still driveable. FSR's are their jurisdiction.

chilcotin hillbilly
04-07-2014, 07:09 PM
5-5 is getting hammered and will be for the next 5 years. I was told any availible timber is coming out. This sucks as they are ruining alot of moose habitat in the process and providing way to much access, pretty soon there will be no trees for the moose to hide behind. With the FN's doing the logging there is not a moose that is safe.
I don't know much about 5-4 so I can't help.

Sitkaspruce
04-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Talk to BCTS at the local office and then get a hold of the logging companies who log the area and get them to send you their FSP maps. Some companies even have them posted on their web sites.

Also, go to IMap and add the cut blocks to the area where you hunt. Click on the block and it will give you the info on date logged and block size.
PM me for info on how to do this.

Cheers

SS

Stresd
04-08-2014, 07:19 AM
5-5 is getting hammered and will be for the next 5 years. I was told any availible timber is coming out. This sucks as they are ruining alot of moose habitat in the process and providing way to much access, pretty soon there will be no trees for the moose to hide behind. With the FN's doing the logging there is not a moose that is safe.
I don't know much about 5-4 so I can't help.

x2 . 5-4 hammered big time as well. Just talking to one of the Ranchers from east of Big Creek the other day who has been having a lot of issues with the logging that is being done.. I have Hunted the area for over 40 years. But between the Local FN's , wolves and logging there is no point going for Moose anymore.