PDA

View Full Version : SPCA says dogs canines have been filed by hunter.

Kasomor
04-06-2014, 11:07 PM
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153934537685207&set=pb.47468265206.-2207520000.1396850394.&type=3&theater

http://www.spca.bc.ca/news-and-events/news/news-ruby-west-van.html

What complete BULL S**T this is!!

Spy
04-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Absolute BS! There are many ways those canines could have been worn down.A friend had a dog that constantly picked up stones for you to throw for her. Her canines were worn down, they were nearly non existent. The dog was obsessed with rocks and stones.

keoke
04-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Tenis balls are very abrasive on teeth. My moms border collie has worn her canines right down from playing ball.

SPEYMAN
04-07-2014, 12:22 AM
The SPCA is against any kind of hunting. If you find a breed that may be suitable for hunting and tell them you are going to use the animal for hunting,you will be turned down for adoption.I will not support the SPCA in any way.They,like PETA,have a political agenda and the animal comes second.

Spy
04-07-2014, 01:01 AM
The SPCA is against any kind of hunting. If you find a breed that may be suitable for hunting and tell them you are going to use the animal for hunting,you will be turned down for adoption.I will not support the SPCA in any way.They,like PETA,have a political agenda and the animal comes second.Are you been serious, did this happen to you? Thats f...ct I will not support them if thats the case.

Spirit's Master
04-07-2014, 07:37 AM
The SPCA can turn you down for a wide variety of reasons. And for the going rate of the medical bills and adoption fees and who knows what history the dog has, most people looking for a hunting dog would be better off purchasing a dog from a reputable breeder.

And as is seen in this article they seem to like to tug on the heart strings of the uneducated and easily swayed.

cwf

Spy
04-07-2014, 07:41 AM
Well I will be calling them today to make a complaint & urge the rest of you todo the same...

BRvalley
04-07-2014, 07:54 AM
The SPCA is against any kind of hunting. If you find a breed that may be suitable for hunting and tell them you are going to use the animal for hunting,you will be turned down for adoption.I will not support the SPCA in any way.They,like PETA,have a political agenda and the animal comes second.

this happened to me...after moving to BC and being settled for 2 yrs I tried to adopt a dog through the SPCA, a hound first and then a 3 yr old lab, soon as I mentioned hunting over the phone my application went dead, not approved and no reason provided, no offering to help me find another dog.

I also tried to volunteer when I was in Vancouver but was rejected...they suggested I could donate money...

Foxton Gundogs
04-07-2014, 07:56 AM
Posted up on my web page wit a request for readers to call and complain

BRvalley
04-07-2014, 08:23 AM
I've just emailed and will call when I get a chance

Dragana Hajdukovic is branch manager at the west van location....interestingly the same place that rejected me

Phone:(604) 922-4622

FirePower
04-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Total balderdash, I will be calling to voice my oppinion of this unfactual propaganda and the withdrawl of my long time support.

Iron Glove
04-07-2014, 08:55 AM
I guess without knowing the back ground of the dog, it's difficult to say if her teeth were in fact altered by / for hunters but it does seem unlikely. As others have said it's more likely that the teeth are ground down due to rocks however that's more of a Lab thing than a Toller thing. Our 13 year old Toller has had a number of teeth removed due to cracking due to an early age auto accident and a life long diet of bones but rocks, she's never been interested in them. Now, Daughter's Lab, that's a whole 'nuther story with a recent life saving series of operations due to ingesting a rock and now major dental work due to rocks.
The SPCA is not overly anti hunting however one only has to note which branch is involved and appreciate that the branch has to appeal to the locals for financial support - West Van ain't exactly hunting friendly.
Cute dog, hope she ends up with a nice family.

Sasquatch
04-07-2014, 08:57 AM
The ignorance of some people knows no bounds.

Filing down teeth....they must make this stuff up as they go along.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-07-2014, 09:05 AM

A spokesperson for the BCSPCA was just interviewed in the fight against the grizzly hunt. Gusee which side she was on?? :?

Sasquatch
04-07-2014, 09:15 AM
I guess without knowing the back ground of the dog, it's difficult to say if her teeth were in fact altered by / for hunters but it does seem unlikely.

With all the hunting dog owners on this site and the thousands of dogs they have known and hunted with collectively - I ask anyone who has ever known, witnessed or seen a hunting dog that has had its teeth filed down to step forward and say so.

It would be an absolute first from my experience.

Foxton Gundogs
04-07-2014, 09:24 AM
As a 3rd generation gundog breeder/trainer I have never seen nor heard of this 'procedure'. "Trimming" a retrievers canines would not only serve no practical purpose in it's retrieving ability but in fact be counter productive as good canine teeth aid in gripping dead or crippled game birds without having to 'crunch' down. This is just another example of PETA like tactics employed to tug at uninformed heart strings.

BRvalley
04-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Just found this, for anybody that still donates

HUNTING POSITION STATEMENT

The BC SPCA is opposed to the hunting of any animal for trophy or sport,

including canned hunts, whether or not any of the meat is consumed.

Where hunting is practised for subsistence purposes, it must be carried out in a

humane, responsible and sustainable manner by qualified and experienced

hunters, abiding by applicable laws and regulations.

Hunters should make every effort to minimize the infliction of pain or suffering by

using techniques that cause instant death. Bow hunting is not condoned by the

BC SPCA as it does not meet these criteria. The BC SPCA is also opposed to

the hunting of all animals using dogs or other animals (e.g. falconry), due to the

stress it imposes on the hunted animal and the risk of injury to the animals

involved.

http://www.spca.bc.ca/assets/documents/welfare/position-statements/hunting.pdf

Foxton Gundogs
04-07-2014, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=BRvalley;1486466]Just found this, for anybody that still donates

HUNTING POSITION STATEMENT

The BC SPCA is opposed to the hunting of any animal for trophy or sport,

including canned hunts, whether or not any of the meat is consumed.

Where hunting is practised for subsistence purposes, it must be carried out in a

humane, responsible and sustainable manner by qualified and experienced

hunters, abiding by applicable laws and regulations.

Hunters should make every effort to minimize the infliction of pain or suffering by

using techniques that cause instant death. Bow hunting is not condoned by the

BC SPCA as it does not meet these criteria. The BC SPCA is also opposed to

the hunting of all animals using dogs or other animals (e.g. falconry), due to the

stress it imposes on the hunted animal and the risk of injury to the animals

involved.

http://www.spca.bc.ca/assets/documents/welfare/position-statements/hunting.pdf (http://www.spca.bc.ca/assets/documents/welfare/position-statements/hunting.pdf)
The opposite is actually true. When dogs are not used the instances of dead birds lost and cripples escaping to die a slow painful death is increased dramatically

Foxtail
04-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Wow, what a joke! I had a springer that liked rocks too.

BRvalley
04-07-2014, 10:12 AM
The opposite is actually true. When dogs are not used the instances of dead birds lost and cripples escaping to die a slow painful death is increased dramatically
[/SIZE]

precisely one of the points in my email, but am doubtful I will get a reply from anybody at the spca

I had heard about their anti hunting statement but never read it for myself until today, wish I had took the time to read that before I had made donations over the past couple years

Cami
04-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Oh well someone again how has no clue
Why would somebody go threw the effort of cutting the teeth and the ditching the dog - its a wast of money but who know lots of wak jobs out there.

Iron Glove
04-07-2014, 10:44 AM
With all the hunting dog owners on this site and the thousands of dogs they have known and hunted with collectively - I ask anyone who has ever known, witnessed or seen a hunting dog that has had its teeth filed down to step forward and say so.

It would be an absolute first from my experience.

Don't get me wrong, I have never, ever heard of it myself but not knowing the actual situation I can't say conclusively that it didn't happen. Highly unlikey, yes.

Sasquatch
04-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Don't get me wrong, I have never, ever heard of it myself but not knowing the actual situation I can't say conclusively that it didn't happen. Highly unlikey, yes.

I can't say conclusively that aliens didn't descend from Pluto and shorten the dogs teeth either - but they have about as much evidence that a hunter did it or they would have included it.

Kasomor
04-07-2014, 11:14 AM
I guess without knowing the back ground of the dog, it's difficult to say if her teeth were in fact altered by / for hunters but it does seem unlikely. As others have said it's more likely that the teeth are ground down due to rocks however that's more of a Lab thing than a Toller thing. Our 13 year old Toller has had a number of teeth removed due to cracking due to an early age auto accident and a life long diet of bones but rocks, she's never been interested in them. Now, Daughter's Lab, that's a whole 'nuther story with a recent life saving series of operations due to ingesting a rock and now major dental work due to rocks.
The SPCA is not overly anti hunting however one only has to note which branch is involved and appreciate that the branch has to appeal to the locals for financial support - West Van ain't exactly hunting friendly.
Cute dog, hope she ends up with a nice family.

I was made aware of this BS from the SPCA from a Toller site that I belong to.

When you state that "that's more of a Lab thing than a Toller thing" you do my breed a disservice. You have no idea how many toller owners posted that their dogs teeth are worn down from ROCKS!! I personally have seen MANY tollers carrying around and chewing on rocks. My dogs do not do it but just because they do not does not mean others don't. Good grief, it's a DOG thing, not a BREED thing!

My oldest dog does have one canine missing and the bottom one IS filed down on the same side. Why? Because of a tumor in her mouth. She has a very difficult time picking up ducks because of that.

Canines are used to grip game. NO HUNTER is going to file their dogs teeth down!!!

Thank you to all who have contacted or will be contacted the SPCA I posted on their Facebook site.

AND thank you for posting the SPCA position statement on Hunting. That says it all!!

FirePower
04-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Well stated Kasomor

Iron Glove
04-07-2014, 12:41 PM
I was made aware of this BS from the SPCA from a Toller site that I belong to.

When you state that "that's more of a Lab thing than a Toller thing" you do my breed a disservice. You have no idea how many toller owners posted that their dogs teeth are worn down from ROCKS!! I personally have seen MANY tollers carrying around and chewing on rocks. My dogs do not do it but just because they do not does not mean others don't. Good grief, it's a DOG thing, not a BREED thing!

My oldest dog does have one canine missing and the bottom one IS filed down on the same side. Why? Because of a tumor in her mouth. She has a very difficult time picking up ducks because of that.

Canines are used to grip game. NO HUNTER is going to file their dogs teeth down!!!

Thank you to all who have contacted or will be contacted the SPCA I posted on their Facebook site.

AND thank you for posting the SPCA position statement on Hunting. That says it all!!

Linda, I'll stick with my assertion that it's more of a "Lab" thing than a "Toller" thing based on my 13 years experience with OUR breed. I can count on zero fingers the number of Tollers I've seen with rocks in their mouths yet I would need a computer to keep track of the number of Labs. Maybe we just hang out in different circles.
It's also based on discussions with my Daughter who was a Vet Assistant for years ( now an Animal Technician ) who saw many cases ( including their own Lab ) of ground down by rock canines and it was almost always Labs.
Based on her stories of some of the things she has seen I would not rule out that there are some "hunters" or better put "irresponsible dog owners" who have altered their dog's teeth for various purposes thus my comment about it being highly unlikely, but not impossible.
I've come across many SPCA workers who have no problems with releasing a dog to a hunting family, regardless of the "official" position.

quaint bucket
04-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm stopping my donations to SPCA now.

Foxton Gundogs
04-07-2014, 01:23 PM
ALL dog breeds do the rock thing I don't mean every dog in every breed does but it is definitely not breed specific or even breed 'heavy', as Kas says it s dog specific.. My guess is that because you have seen more Labs do it is simply a matter of numbers. There are just way more Labs to be observed on a daily basis than Tollers.

Iron Glove
04-07-2014, 02:00 PM
ALL dog breeds do the rock thing I don't mean every dog in every breed does but it is definitely not breed specific or even breed 'heavy', as Kas says it s dog specific.. My guess is that because you have seen more Labs do it is simply a matter of numbers. There are just way more Labs to be observed on a daily basis than Tollers.

You may well be right however I'm just going on my experiences with 100's of Tollers and zero are rock hounds.
Get 100 Labs together down at the river and I'll bet a good percentage are playing rock collector.
Now, one could say that our male Toller quite likely has rocks in his head, but that's different. :mrgreen:

Everett
04-07-2014, 04:43 PM
My male blue heeler has never touched a rock in his life and all four of his canines are worn down.

Kudu
04-07-2014, 05:29 PM
My male blue heeler has never touched a rock in his life and all four of his canines are worn down.

his son on the other hand is a rock munching machine.................

Blindeyes
04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
What would you use that dog to retrieve ? Field mice. Oh please.

yamadirt 426
04-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Well ive never like them and i dont trust them. I guess thats why ive never told them the truth when getting the animals I have. Yes yes, they will be house cats , or no this doberman im getting is not a watch dog he is an inside animal too. And christ how is a dog suppose to defend himself against a pitbull or havenese without teeth at the dog park. Ive never heard about this anywhere and I studied alot about gun dogs before i got one.

fowl language
04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
is there an interest to get on board and take this to the press. I have the connections but I would like a bunch of people to stand up and be counted as hunters and animal lovers. foxton and my self will pen a letter but only 2 people does not have much effect. how about it.....dale

Everett
04-07-2014, 06:58 PM
his son on the other hand is a rock munching machine.................

Crap Bushmill and Jamie are going to be so disappointed to find out there son is a rock head:-D. Boomers old man is serious stick head though, mom is way smarter she is only interested in chewing food.

NitwiT
04-07-2014, 07:01 PM
just read the article for what it says, "don't injure the birds". I dont know about you guys, but the birds that I take down are most seriously injured, albeit dead.

Ambush
04-07-2014, 07:04 PM
is there an interest to get on board and take this to the press. I have the connections but I would like a bunch of people to stand up and be counted as hunters and animal lovers. foxton and my self will pen a letter but only 2 people does not have much effect. how about it.....dale

What do you need?

Chopper
04-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Tenis balls are very abrasive on teeth. My moms border collie has worn her canines right down from playing ball.

YuP this is a big one ... Tennis balls are brutal on dogs mouths

DBM
04-08-2014, 12:30 PM
They're not much better than the humane society as far as I'm concerned.