PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Kestrel knives

Chopper
04-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Kestrel Titanium knives ? Im still building my sheep hunting kit and was wondering if anyone has any good feed back.

The ideal of being ultra light and impervious to the elements Is appealing. Im wondering how these knives hold an edge

Thanks

http://www.kestrelknives.com/models/

spear
04-07-2014, 04:07 PM
I've got one, prob order another soon.

Great knives, a bit of flex in the ultralight versions but great blades an crazy light.

albravo2
04-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Very nice looking knives. Think they will be lighter and sharper than a cheap Havalon? My Havalon is not a thing of beauty but it is light and sharp.

Ringo 7MM
04-07-2014, 08:53 PM
forget it john h they are to expensive

Chopper
04-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Very nice looking knives. Think they will be lighter and sharper than a cheap Havalon? My Havalon is not a thing of beauty but it is light and sharp.

I have been running a havalon and really like it , Im thinking of adding a kestrel to my kit along side the havalon

Chopper
04-07-2014, 09:14 PM
I've got one, prob order another soon.

Great knives, a bit of flex in the ultralight versions but great blades an crazy light.

What kind of usage do you get before it needs a sharpening ? I will likely continue to use my Havalon to cape game and was planning on using the kestrel to debone

North
04-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Havalon is the only knife I take on a sheep hunt. Those knives look nice but hard to beat the price point and convenience of Havalon

Chopper
04-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Havalon is the only knife I take on a sheep hunt. Those knives look nice but hard to beat the price point and convenience of Havalon

Not worried about price to much ... Non guided hunting is not very expensive compared the other hobbies ive given up ... Like drinking at bars lol

Dirty
04-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Read up about them online. Titanium doesn't hold an edge well so they treat the alloy with a coating. Essentially you cannot properly sharpen them without sending them back to be re-coated. I'd rather invest my money in a cheapo havalon.

Chopper
04-08-2014, 12:55 AM
Read up about them online. Titanium doesn't hold an edge well so they treat the alloy with a coating. Essentially you cannot properly sharpen them without sending them back to be re-coated. I'd rather invest my money in a cheapo havalon.

That's not exactly what it says on the site ... It says you only sharpen one side and if you want them to sharpen the knife or replace the steel you send it in only paying for shipping.

Im still wondering if the knife will hold an edge while deboning a whole animal ? I don't really want to add a sharpening kit to my pack when im packing a Havalen. I just want a stiffer knife for deboning.

I guess ill buy it and if I don't like it ill take it to the dump

TexasWalker
04-08-2014, 01:06 AM

That is lame.

Chopper
04-08-2014, 09:29 PM
That is lame.

from what is posted on there site the statement is not true ... it specifically says you sharpen one side

StoneChaser
04-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Pretty hard to beat an $8 Victorinox Paring knife and a Havalon in my experience.

Chopper
04-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Pretty hard to beat an $8 Victorinox Paring knife and a Havalon in my experience.

biddy of mine im going to sheep hunt with this year actually just said the same thing