PDA

View Full Version : Do your kids show a real intrest in hunting?

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-21-2007, 07:11 PM
I am the proud father of two beautiful girls,my older daughter has been out hunting a few times with me and really likes it ,she talks about hunting with me and wants to get a gun and license in the futureI am very happy that she enjoys my hobby,on the other hand my friends kids dont like hunting at all and wont even eat the gamemeat I know this really bothers him.So I was wondering what are your kids like when it comes to hunting.?:|

bsa30-06
02-21-2007, 07:18 PM
My daughter freaks out when we get out of eyesight of the truck, my oldest boy has tagged along a few times and was with me when i took my bear last year but doesn't seem to have any motivation to go and get his license or core, and my youngest boy will not leave dads hunting gear alone and loves to look at all the pics of animals you guys post here, and can name just about every one of them and he's only 3, so maybe i have a chance yet.I really wish they were all into hunting but you can't force them to like it.

lip_ripper00
02-21-2007, 07:20 PM
one of my daughters I'm sure will hunt the other not, however they both love game meat and fish(they both fish). Some of their friends give them a bad time sometimes because of my hunting, but the bitching stops when the pepperoni comes out:lol:

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Heres one from last fall. :|

3kills
02-21-2007, 07:34 PM
nice pic BHF...my kids talk about it and they have gone out one a drive for spring bear with me last year...we will see i m gettin them a .22 this spring and going to get them shooting we will see how far it goes i really hope they get into and stick with it...

hunter1947
02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
I am been trying to get my son interested in hunting ,he is 15 now ,i have taken him on two moose hunts up at hudson hope bc ,he does show some interests on the hunts but not a to much ,i take him out on the hunts on the island but still he shows little interest. What i do is ask him what he wants to do on our hunt ,i come down to his leavel and do what he suggests just so i don't push him over the edge.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif hunter 1947.

.308win
02-21-2007, 08:35 PM
My oldest daughter 10yrs likes to tag along on some of my deer hunts, she really likes to go shoot a few rabbits and likes to plink the .22. Planning on getting a new .223 or .243 for her to shoot and see if she likes it. Oh yeah she pretty much only likes to eat game in burger form!

willyqbc
02-21-2007, 08:39 PM
My son who is now 7 LIVES for hunting and shooting. He's been going with me since he was about 2 and has been in on around a dozen successful hunts including moose, bear and deer. its gonna be a long 3 years wait for him to be able to take his first big game animal.

Chris

BCLongshot
02-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Well I know I don't look 42 ! lol lol

My Wifey poo, Son (18), Daughter (21) who's also getting married, and future son/law are taking the CORE this Saturday. So ya 4 sure they're interested.

Notice how I didn't put my woman's age pretty smart hey ? I blame that on my Uncle too.

dana
02-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Both my kids are huntin maniacs. My son is a chicken killing machine. My daughter can't wait until she's 10 so she can kill chickens too. Both love being in the bush, camping, hiking, shed hunting, you name it.

frenchbar
02-21-2007, 08:58 PM
My 13 and 15 yr old sons love to come hunting with me.the 15 yr old got his first muley last year hopfully his younger brother will take his first this yr with his 243 win he got for his birthday. i think there going to be muley crazy like their old man .

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Dana, I was wondering when you have found a bucks shed antlers and the next year you have found the same bucks new shed or sheds how far was the distance from the previous years sheds?:|

Phil
02-21-2007, 09:12 PM
I have two sons and one daughter. My kids love to come with me on chicken hunts. They do the spotting right now and I do the shooting. They love to fish, infact they fish more than me cause I'm either taking out a tangle or paddling the canoe. Ive had them all shoot a .22 as of two weeks ago and they can't get enough of it. Their favorite meal is deer chops with mashed potatoes. They would eat every fish they caught too but I'm trying to teach catch and release. Their favorite make beleive game is camping. When I ask my boys what they want to be when they grow up they occasionally say "hunters". Ages 7, 5, 3.

eric
02-21-2007, 09:18 PM
3 boys and all love to hunt, the one boy got his first elk this year, antlerless leh, will be out again this weekend to see if we can find another one for the youngest one

bsa30-06
02-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Well I know I don't look 42 ! lol lol

My Wifey poo, Son (18), Daughter (21) who's also getting married, and future son/law are taking the CORE this Saturday. So ya 4 sure they're interested.

Notice how I didn't put my woman's age pretty smart hey ? I blame that on my Uncle too.

Dale, sounds like your going to be dragging the whole troop around with you.:lol:

rollingrock
02-21-2007, 10:03 PM
That's why I just bought a 4 door 2007 Canyon! :DBoth my wife and daughter love hunting.

willy442
02-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Two kids, daughter not a chance. Sons first kill was her pet squirrel at the base camp,soured her for life. Had to eventually put all small game on a bag limit for him. Now he lives and works to hunt and fish.:)

gameslayer
02-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I have 3 kids and they are all interested, 8 year daughter,4.5 year old & 2.75 year old sons. The boys make shooting sounds at the tv when they see game on tv (trying to get them to stop that embarassing in public) and my daughter had me bring in moose and deer racks to school for show and tell. I had 25 kids and 3 teachers doing deer grunts, bull & cow calls it was a blast. I hope to do some grouse hunting with them this year. I am a stronger believer in teaching them about our ecosytem and nature and how we are all part of it wether some are willing to admit it or not (grocery store meat buyers in denial but quick to judge others).

Will
02-21-2007, 10:21 PM
My Boy Loves Hunting...He's always asking to come when I go out now.
He accompanied me on a few Roadtrips last Fall with Mommy's approval finally......
We had a Blast.shot some Grouse and he Loved it.
We both cannot wait for his 10th (he's 6 now) should be some Great times ahead for Us 8-)
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/IMG_0947.JPG

And He fetches Grouse like Nobodies Business.....He's a Trooper !:lol:
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/IMG_0944.JPG

oldtimer
02-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Well you all know WillyQ is my kid and he grew up to love hunting and eating the game. Started him at about 5 or 6 I think and as stated here he started the grand kids at about 2. He should have mentioned that the grand daughter when she isn't talking has a pretty good set of eyes for spotting deer and even if she isn't into hunting as much as her younger brother she is definitely a carnivore when it comes to game animals. Mike

johnes50
02-21-2007, 10:27 PM
My daughter who is 17 has always wanted to hunt and fish with me, so I take her whenever I can.

My 19 year old son wasn't very interested in hunting when he was younger, he just wanted to shoot my guns. I always ask him if he wants to go, but he was never too interested. I think he was a little afraid of the bush.

But he graduated high school last year and told me that "you've been asking me to go hunting for years and I'd like to start going." So he's been going with me since last year. I didn't want to push him and I figured he would eventually get interested, which he did.

It's really enjoy being out with my kids and I'm very happy they both want to go hunting now. John

Nails
02-22-2007, 12:00 AM
My son who is also 19 got his hunter number today and has been enjoying going hunting over the last few years. This spring hunting trip he plans on getting his first bear.
My 22 yr old daughter has enjoyed going out on daily hunts. After University graduation this spring, she wants to get her hunting number.
Both kids enjoyed cleaning the venison at an early age when I was lucky enough to bring some home.

270WIN
02-22-2007, 12:36 AM
My daughter has shown some interest she has always preferred game meat over domestic since she was on sold food... last year was cute I hade her out camping and we got up in the morning and there was some moose dropping in camp so I should her then we went for a walk and well we found more droppings still moose I should her she said daddy the look different I never thought moose dropping would make me proud lol. then she was asking me how I hunted I told her I walk rely slow and stop ever few steps and look around and well next thing I new I had my 6 year old daughter telling me to slow down what a moment I hope to get her out this fall another good one is we came home from a hunting trip one fall and we had a moose head we but it on the floor and well my daughter was just lurning to walk we thought she be scared buy nope walked right up to the head and started playing with the eyes. My mom rely not one for hunting and well I had to bug her a bit so at the age of three my daughter was walking around the house saying I going to shoot bambi so I can eat him

farside
02-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Our daughter is "into" hunting when she thinks her chances of getting an animal are OK. But at 15yrs she is now more into make-up and shopping. We don't push though and she still insists that we get her tags and such. Last year she went out probably 10 times and they were strickly hunts for her. I did'nt even carry a gun. We finally have her using the 30-30 this past season. Prior to this she would only use the crossbow as she was afraid of the "kick".

Orangethunder
02-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Both of my kids (3 yr old boy and 5 yr old girl) love it, more so my daughter. She just loves knowing that she is eating moose or deer and seems to appreciate where it comes from. I am hoping they stick with it.

TPK
02-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Well, if anyone is in the Quesnel area and has kids (or anyone for that matter) that is interested in Hunting but doesn't have a Hunters Number yet .... the Quesnel Rod and Gun Club will be putting on a C.O.R.E. course, dates below. PM me for more details if you are interested. Cost is $95 and includes the book. We are also trying to get one of the guys to committ to offering the firearms test with the C.O.R.E. or being available for people that want to challenge the firearms test. No final word on that yet. Any way, the C.O.R.E. course will be going ahead on the dates indicated.

Tuesday March 27
Wednesday March 28
Thursday March 29
Tuesday April 3
Thursday April 5
Tuesday April 10 - review and test for those that want to write it.
Wednesday April 11 - test for everyone else.
The classes will still run from 6:30 P.M. to 9:30 P.M.

My second oldest boy is into Hunting, the other two boys are not, though one is interested in target shooting. Our daughter isn't interested in hunting and claims that game meat gives her gas so she won't eat it. That's OK, more for me !

Fireball129
02-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I am planning on taking my two boys this year ages 6 and 8,see if they like it.problem is I have to try and keep them quiet as they like to talk alot.Oldest keeps saying he wants to trying shooting my .22.We will see.
They all love the game meat,including the liver,even my daughter does.

johnes50
02-22-2007, 01:46 PM
I am planning on taking my two boys this year ages 6 and 8,see if they like it.problem is I have to try and keep them quiet as they like to talk alot.Oldest keeps saying he wants to trying shooting my .22.We will see.
They all love the game meat,including the liver,even my daughter does.

When my kids were that age I took them "hunting" for beer cans and milk jugs with my .22's. I just let them have fun, but was strict on safety. They had a great time and always liked "hunting" and got to be pretty good shots.

John

MichelD
02-22-2007, 01:56 PM
My daughter is 30 and moved to Europe now, but when she was a teenager and in her early 20s she used to come out with me. Great skinner and totally eager to dive in there and pull guts, even taking an interest in all the internal organs.

She helped me butcher numerous animals too.

I had her shooting from about the age of 3, starting with my Diana air rifle.

She got her PAL, but never completed her CORE, she got called to a summer job, made some money, went travelling, met a guy, etc. etc.

The one thing she gripes about now is not enough game meat. She has a cousin in Germany who hunts, but only drops off the very occasional piece of roebuck or boar.

wsm
02-22-2007, 08:11 PM
270 win your girl has spent many hours with us while we skinned or cut game.

browningboy
02-22-2007, 09:18 PM
I have a 3 year old boy and a six year old girl, want to take them out as they have expressed interest but worried about them getting bored and not wanting to go anymore, or am I being a worry wart?? Is this the right age?

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-22-2007, 09:25 PM
I think grouse hunting would be a great way to start them off.I think three years old might be a little young ,the sound of the gun going off could scare a young child and could be dangerous for their hearing.Probably an early season camping trip ,shooting grouse and some other non hunting fun would be a good way to go.:)

browningboy
02-22-2007, 09:30 PM
I was thinking of grouse hunting with a 22 as they're relatively quiet, but as grouse are far and few between on a close drive around here, may just have to make a fishin trip to "loops" and just let them enjoy as driving around too long will not happen if you know what I mean.8)

quadrakid
02-22-2007, 09:33 PM
my son is just now showing some interest, he,s21, the future son in law is also interested,two big boys future moose packers i hope!

browningboy
02-22-2007, 09:35 PM
my son is just now showing some interest, he,s21, the future son in law is also interested,two big boys future moose packers i hope!

Thats cool, even if they just join you and help pack it out would be awesome, I'm just hoping that mine just join me as the anti stuff out in the schools is getting harsh.:sad:

Ajsawden
02-22-2007, 09:57 PM
well, can't say i have kids, but up until this year, i've been the kid, so i know where you're coming from, from the opposite point of view.
Hunting trips with my dad rank out all other experiences i think i've had.
It wasnt until i was 10 that we finally got a deer together, before that, i was too young to go on the big long timber hunts, which is where dad got most of his deer.
But now i'm hooked. I've been around guns and animals forever. I always had to get my hands dirty, never much help, as i was always picking at the eyes and brain.
I'll be going to university next year in Vancouver, I dont know how much I'll be able to get out.
Still, with school and stuff... Hunting ranks number one on my priorities of things to do. Girls are a close 2nd :wink:

troutseeker
02-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Both my daughter's (13 and 15 1/2) love it, they come with me and shoot the chickens. The young one is getting her CORE this year, her sis got it at the same age. They just like being outdoors and I want to keep it that way! We fish quite a bit too and this year I got them float tubes so I can start fishing again (all these years of paddling, tying flies, etc are coming to an end!!!).

Troutseeker

CHilko21
02-23-2007, 12:51 AM
I have an 11 year old cousin that absolutely loves to hunt and fish, but her dad will hardly take her out at all. She loves horses too and her yearly horse fix consists of going to a riding camp for a week once a year. It's pretty sad considering there are 7 horses in the family. Just waiting on my PAL so I can start taking her out with me.

Walksalot
02-23-2007, 06:58 AM
My son shot his first deer when he was 15 and after that he showed very little interest in hunting. I totally respected this and never pressed him to come shooting or hunting with me. At the age of 23 his interest in hunting was rekindled and is now 25 and an avid hunter. He has however told me that his passion for hunting is not as intense as mine and, again, I totally respect his position.