PDA

View Full Version : questions with garmin gps 62

bchunter181
04-06-2014, 04:51 PM
looking at what the differences between the garmin 62 and garmin 62st I know that the 62st comes with topo but can the topo maps be loaded onto the 62 don't know much about this kinda stuff just looking into the garmin 62st but wondering if for the price difference the 62. if I should just get that one. going to be using it for hunting be able to get out of the truck and head in one direction and be able to get back to my truck after im done hunting that's all I want to use it for

mikeboehm
04-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Get the garmin 62s and load it with backroad mapbooks. Dont waste ur money on the garmin topo

hunterjeff719
04-06-2014, 05:11 PM
x2 loading on backroads mapbooks. its great being able to correspond the book to the gps while out n about instead of trying to scroll around on the screen.
I have the garmin 60cx which is basically the model that got turned into the 62 series. usually its just a little memory card that you stick in the gps for the backroad map books.

shallowH2O
04-06-2014, 05:25 PM
same machine, as others have said load it yourself with backroads map books. it will end up costing you roughly the same price to go that route than the 62st, but if you only use it in bc you will be better off

Papa Sasquatch
04-06-2014, 06:16 PM
http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/gpsmap62seriescomparison.html

bchunter181
04-06-2014, 07:09 PM
thanks for all the help guys seems like I will be getting the 62s yes only going to use it in bc anybody know where to get a cheap one I will check grouse river but any other than that walmart has the garmin62s for 349.99 any cheaper would be great hoping to get it in the next week for hunting thanks again

Jagermeister
04-06-2014, 07:14 PM
So tell me you Backroad boys. Does Backroads have their maps in the book or on the GPS UTM capable yet?

Poguebilt
04-06-2014, 07:19 PM
garmin 62s is 299.95 from gpscity.ca based out of calagry.... 5.99 shipping.... I buy all my electronics there...

Rich_D
04-06-2014, 07:24 PM
garmin 62s is 299.95 from gpscity.ca based out of calagry.... 5.99 shipping.... I buy all my electronics there...

This where mine came from as well. Got the 62s

Hombre
04-06-2014, 10:36 PM
thanks for all the help guys seems like I will be getting the 62s yes only going to use it in bc anybody know where to get a cheap one I will check grouse river but any other than that walmart has the garmin62s for 349.99 any cheaper would be great hoping to get it in the next week for hunting thanks again
You just missed out, Cabela's U.S had them on sale for $ 199.00.I'm picking mine up in Tulalip this week.

North49
04-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Get the garmin 62s and load it with backroad mapbooks. Dont waste ur money on the garmin topo

What he said, the garmin maps are total garbage. Also don't buy gamin's satellite image maps, they're horrible quality, take forever to load, my area was in grayscale and if you're dissatisfied with them and ask for your money back like I did, their response will along the lines of "so why should we return your money? Didn't you know your area has poor image quality?".

bchunter181
04-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Where can I get the back road maps from?

Danicus
04-07-2014, 01:33 PM
I bought mine from Wholesale Sports in Langley (in case you're ever down in the LM), but you can buy directly from their site as well at: http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/main/index.html

curt
04-07-2014, 01:56 PM
the s stands for sensor meaning active compass not just when moving at least that what it meant in the 60 series

papaken
04-07-2014, 05:36 PM
I have a Garmin nuvi 550 that I use in my vehicle that has the regular Garmin maps and I have the lifetime update for it. I also loaded the BC Backroads Maps in it and switch to those when I'm hunting and heading into the backwoods.
In my 62s that I use when out in the bush I have the regular Garmin maps that it comes with and loaded it with the Canada Topo Maps for hunting etc. I find with these combinations I'm pretty well covered. I had originally bought the 550 as it was rated for use on motorcycles ( waterproof, dust proof, shock proof and had geocache capabilities). It works extremely well but was not really designed for packing on your belt or pack. When I looked at the ones for hiking and hunting the 62s seemed to fit the bill for all my needs. If I had a partner that was interested in buying and using gps I would consider getting a pair of the Garmin Rino units with radios. With the 2 units I have I'm pretty well set but if I only had one it would be the 62s and I would put the Backroads Maps in it. papaken

bchunter181
04-07-2014, 08:05 PM
damn I went to buy it yesterday off gpscentral it was for 239.99 got busy went to order it today and its at 339.99 now im pissed should have just done it yesterday

Jagermeister
04-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Since none of you guys that run Backroads software could not answer my previous post in this thread,

So tell me you Backroad boys. Does Backroads have their maps in the book or on the GPS UTM capable yet?

I decided to pose this question yesterday via email to the Backroad boys,
Your digital GPS maps, are they lat/lon, UTM or both capable?. Seems they cannot answer the question either.
So the next questions to the Backroads software users is, can you set the Datum?

Mauser98
04-08-2014, 01:09 PM

I'm probably misinterpreting your question re: UTM but every handheld Garmin gps I've used can be set to show a large variety of different position formats-including UTM.

It doesn't matter which map-set is been used in the gps. I've used the Garmin Topog, Ibycus and Backroad maps.

Jagermeister
04-08-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm probably misinterpreting your question re: UTM but every handheld Garmin gps I've used can be set to show a large variety of different position formats-including UTM.

It doesn't matter which map-set is been used in the gps. I've used the Garmin Topog, Ibycus and Backroad maps.
Yes, I understand that, but it would be senseless to use Maidenhead grid if the mapset does not support it. Looking at the mapsets in the Backroad Books, all I see is Lat/lon marked on the peripheral edges of the maps so setting your preferences to UTM for their digital maps would seem to be redundant. You could not correlate a UTM coordinate to a mapset in the book.
At least that is what I am thinking. I have no real hands on with Backroads digital maps other than the books. If it is like the maps in the books then it's not something I want and damm if I will spend any money finding out.
I think a lot of people are confused about the TopoCanada maps by Garmin. What they don't realize perhaps is that these are the exact same maps that we used pre-GPS days. Garmin supplies TopoCanada under licence from the Canadian Government. They are the most accurate map, they just don't show all the doodah stuff like recent logging roads, forestry campsites

goatdancer
04-08-2014, 04:11 PM
My Backroads books show both, lat & long, and UTM.

papaken
04-08-2014, 04:22 PM
My Backroads books show both, lat & long, and UTM.

X2 I am looking at the How To page in 1 of my Backroads Map Books and it has a 1/4 page explaining UTM & Longitude and Latitude as it is used on their maps. I have used their map books for years and have found them to be about the best. I have on a few occasions helped people that were misplaced using forestry and other maps.

Jagermeister
04-08-2014, 05:10 PM
I found it now with help, thanks.
My books are books are 2006/07 vintage and have this

UTM Grids & Longitude and Latitude
Another interesting feature on our maps is the small numbers provided around our map borders. The blue numbers and thin blue line repre­sent UTM Grids (datum NAD 1 983; projection Transverse Mercator), while the black numbers represent Longitude and Latitude reference points. Although both can be used by GPS users, the UTM Grids are more accurate for land-based travel. We must emphasize that these are for reference only. This generality is because of the scale of the maps and we have to consult several different sources to create the maps.
Is this disclaimer the same in the more recent versions?

BC Boy
04-10-2014, 05:16 AM
Hi I just bought the 62s with the bc backroad maps from gps city for 405$, you save about 100$ when you buy them as a package.

Jagermeister
04-10-2014, 11:20 AM
I will stick with Topo Canada. I want accuracy with my GPS and by their own admission Backroads does not have that. Yes, they show the more recent FSR roads and the FSR sites but those can be purloined out of one of their books at much less cost than the digital software.
From the experience that I have had with Garmin, when I had an issue with Topo Canada, Garmin fixed it hands on. They will not do that with Backroads mapping. What happens when you have an interface problem between a Garmin GPS and Backroads? You most likely will have to go from one to the other to have remedy.
In my case, I use a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. I have a 1GB micro SD card on which I have loaded most of BC and the southern parts of Alberta and Saskatchewan from the DVD of Topo Canada. I have more than ample space left for saving routes tracks and waypoints. All of the aforementioned are downloaded and saved to the computer to use however and whenever. I can email this information to another person as long as the recipient operates the same software.
I also have a Garmin GPS 76 C on which I originally started using Topo Canada. Prior to that, the GPS' I used did not have that mapping overlay capability and the tracks saved were hand bombed to hard copy topographic maps