PDA

View Full Version : What would you do???

Sitkaspruce
02-21-2007, 05:55 PM
I was down at the Portland Outdoor Show, working the G/O booth when a client of mine brings in his moose antlers from the trip last year.

His Bull
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/DSC00240.jpg

The next day I notice that the skull has been PAINTED white and that there is some crap flaking off the left horn at the base. I take out my knife and dig off some more EPOXY that has been applied to the horn where it was CUT off. I ask him, when he showed up that day, what was going on and he said he had no idea, but would ask the taxidermist who was doing the European mount for him. He was told that they had cut off his horn to get it into the pot to boil out the skull!!!! I was so pissed off, I wanted to tell the taxidermist to shove the horns up his ass. I told him that they had ruined his trophy and further more he could not get it scored at the shows scoring contest. His bull netted 184 and the next biggest at the show was 167. He missed out on approx. $500 on hunting gear as first prize for biggest moose because of the cut off horn. The taxidermist has agreed to give him his money back and to fix the problem to his satisfaction. I went to a couple of ather taxidermist at the show and showed them the mess and they both shook their heads and told me to fix it would cost around $500-600. I told him to get one of them to fix it and send the bill to the taxidermist who made the mess. He was thinking about it last time I talked to him.

So what would you do???

Browningmirage
02-21-2007, 06:09 PM
shoot the taxidermist

Krico
02-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Go with your first instinct, and insert all 187 points into the taxidermist. Don't bother sawing one half off first though. Just make it fit.

Mr. Dean
02-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Mount the tax man!

NICE freak'n Moose btw..

mark
02-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Go with your first instinct, and insert all 187 points into the taxidermist. Don't bother sawing one half off first though. Just make it fit.

Yip, thats what id do! No lube or nuthin! Just keep kicking til the antler is all the way up there! :twisted: What an idiot, it pays to research your taxi a bit!

hunter1947
02-21-2007, 06:33 PM
I will tell you something ,get it fixed from the taxidermy that made the mess and exit the door with your rack and never go there again. hunter 1947.

luckynuts
02-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Very sad and extremely lazy on the taxidermists part. I couldn't find a pot big enough to boil my buffalo head so I cut the lid off a 45gallon drum and flattened it a bit. Along with a tiger torch it works great. It's really ashame to hear that.

W.

Derek_Erickson
02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
give us his name lets harrass him , and make his life hell

lip_ripper00
02-21-2007, 06:48 PM
that is a nice rack8) . I would be very choked and would think the taxi should fix his mess. Be interesting to hear from one of our resident taxi have to say

Mooseman
02-21-2007, 07:07 PM
We usually get them done in camp. When you have clients that fly to EU member countries they have to be all done or they will take them away at the border.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/MoosemanBC/MooseDavidChapman016.jpg

mainland hunter
02-21-2007, 08:48 PM
did he actually cut into the horn or did he cut the skull. either way something like that should never be done. He should get his money back and go somewhere else

he shoulda done a shoulder mount to begin with though, nice moose

Sitkaspruce
02-21-2007, 09:01 PM
He cut the antler off about an inch above the base. The thing is he has had work done before by this guy and it has been good. The taxidermist has had the antlers since Oct. and was told that the antlers were going to be displayed at the show in Feb. He did all the mess a couple of days before the show. Plain lazyness.

I did do my part though, I told everyone who even remotely looked at the antlers that the crappy work was done by the taxidermist in build # 4, booths such and such, the companies name is..... He is a big time taxidermist in Portland and had 4 booths for the show. He came over once to complain about me, but when he saw the antlers and the look on my face, he turned around and left. When he came and picked them up after the show, I told him that it was pathetic work and he should make it right. No comment, just left.

Will
02-21-2007, 10:51 PM
When he came and picked them up after the show, I told him that it was pathetic work and he should make it right. No comment, just left.
I wouldn't let Him fix them..he already destroyed them...what could he possibly do to "fix" them:|

browningboy
02-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Really what can you do besides have him fix it and simply don't go back there afterwards, you can threaten him etc.. but thats not going to get you anywhere.

Chuck
02-21-2007, 11:07 PM
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE !! If he had the slightest idea (and apparently he did) of what he was doing. He was definitely cheating BIG TIME and deserves to be treated as such. STUFF HIM!!

Nails
02-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Incredible!!!! I would fix it myself by the sounds of things. Anyone can do a better job then this guy.

dave_fras
02-22-2007, 09:39 AM
something liket hat happend to my cousin before.... his very first blakie was a monster.... he was gonna get a half mount done on it... but the taxidermist did something wrong when he was get the cape ready... and it caused the hair to fall out!..... he wasnt happy....and to top that off... the pics that he took didnt turn out:$......

mainland hunter
02-22-2007, 10:22 AM
just a note usually when there's hair slippage that starts by the initial handling in the field and doesnt become evident until the tanning process starts. if it is salted properly in field there is little chance of slippage. It's unfortunate when it happens but most taxidermists take every measure to prevent this when a hide comes in.

sawmill
02-23-2007, 05:31 AM
What in Christs name was he thinking?And why cut them off above the bur?Thats just so ******ed,I`d have beat the shit out of him in front of his booth.:mad:

rugeer
02-23-2007, 07:49 AM
I hung my Buffalo head off a wharf in the chuck, ckean as a whistle in three weeks

GoatGuy
02-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Sounds like the taxidermist what a meathead.

Might have turned out half decent work, but he was probably a backyard taxidermist that gave good a deal!

Somebody who knows what they're doing wouldn't have ever done that.

Soup
02-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a short drop and quick stop is in order...:wink:

Madning forsure, it would be foolish not to do your homework.