PDA

View Full Version : Need Help planning a Goat hunting trip for 2014

bckoothunter
04-06-2014, 09:22 AM
I'm looking for some help planning a goat hunting trip this fall. I'm looking for a GOS zone with high goat numbers. I have gathered lots of information from the different surveys on line, but I'm hoping someone will be willing to point me in the right direction. The goat surveys and Google earth can only be so useful, lots of this type of country must be seen and experienced to fully understand the areas. Can be anywhere in BC, as long as it's GOS. I'm looking a little around the Terrace area, as I have a brother in law there that may join me for the trip. My partner on this trip may not get another chance anytime soon, so I'm really trying hard to find a solid area that we can have a good chance at a successful, fun, hunt.

I've got all the gear I need and have hunted goat before in region 4, just haven't found the one I'm looking for. I don't expect a free ride and I can possibly trade info for Stone sheep, big horn, elk, etc.

Thanks.

bckoothunter
04-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Anybody willing to talk GOS goats in BC? Planning season is upon us and I'd really appreciate any help.

warnniklz
04-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Define successful and fun...

Krico
04-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Are you willing to charter a plane? Or drag up a boat and cross a big lake?

longstonec
04-24-2014, 05:26 PM
I am planning the same thing... and it involves a plane, then another plane, then a boat. then a slightly larger boat, then anchoring the boat in unprotected water and then climbing a mountain. and then reversing.

BCbillies
04-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Unless your brother-in-law is a serious hunter he will see little fun in the hunt unless you do an alpine trip in August/early September and luck out with the weather. You should also consider the Stewart area. Most all GOS in the Terrace - Stewart area will hold goats. Pick an area on Google Earth that you can access that has the right terrain for goats and spend a week on the mountain and you should see some critters provided you have some visability.

bckoothunter
04-25-2014, 08:58 AM
He's a serious hunter and in great shape. Can't imagine hunting in the mountains and not having fun?? I'm not familiar with that area of the province, are you saying that after early september the weather will hamper the hunt, i.e. fog, etc? We can all handle rain and snow. I will definitly look at the Stewart area, it is also on our radar. Thanks for the help.

Unless your brother-in-law is a serious hunter he will see little fun in the hunt unless you do an alpine trip in August/early September and luck out with the weather. You should also consider the Stewart area. Most all GOS in the Terrace - Stewart area will hold goats. Pick an area on Google Earth that you can access that has the right terrain for goats and spend a week on the mountain and you should see some critters provided you have some visability.

bckoothunter
04-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Plane yes, boat is a good possibility.

Are you willing to charter a plane? Or drag up a boat and cross a big lake?

Amphibious
04-25-2014, 09:06 AM
Early season will have the best weather. Hot and Dry means the goats will be laying down most of the day. Later in the season the weather is miserable, but they'll be moving more.

Pretty much any Valley in the north west will have goats. If I had a good boat I'd be hunting some of the Coastal inlets or Exploring the longer inland lakes. I've seen some MASSIVE Billies right on the salt. Sure are hard to find in that jungle, and then there are the Big Brown fellas....

NorBC
04-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Get ready for fog with 1-5 minute glassing windows, every 2 hrs..

warnniklz
04-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Get ready for fog with 1-5 minute glassing windows, every 2 hrs..
^--- yuppers

Things to expect:
Being wet
Being cold
Overheating
Dehydration
Soreness
Aches
Pains
Hiking in the dark
Hiking in the fog
Grizzly bears
Poison Ivy
Devils club in the taint
Weather socking you in
Smelly hunting partner
Frozen boots
Falling off of mountains
Seeing places not many other people will see
Frustration
Broken gear

I think I may have missed an item or two...

Amphibious
04-25-2014, 03:59 PM
^ sounds like a pretty comprehensive list.

I've never had a smelly goat hunting partner..... never had a goat hunting partner! Pretty hard to talk people into it. Everyone wants a nice ride in a float plane and some low angle, treeless sheep hunting these days ;)