PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Condition of Carry

Morel
04-05-2014, 08:38 PM
I was wondering how people carry their rifles when hunting and in what condition?

For example, if you have a rifle slung on your shoulder what is the condition of the rifle? Do you have a round in the chamber, safety on? Do you have a full magazine and an empty chamber safety on or safety off? My feeling is that with the rifle slung, you can't count on always being able to control the muzzle especially if you fall. If you are carrying the rifle on your shoulder you are not expecting to encounter game or predators but there is always the possibility. Carrying with an empty chamber but a full magazine and safety off means that the rifle can be rapidly shouldered, a round chambered and fired if necessary.

When you are carrying your rifle on the trail, ready carry, cradle carry etc, do you have a round in the chamber, safety on or loaded magazine with and empty chamber safety on, safety off? I realize that the terrain and crossing obstacles will affect the carry status (e.g. unloading to climb a fence, a difficult obstacle or rough terrain). On relatively easy terrain, my feeling is that carrying with a round chambered and the safety on is reasonable. In this situation, you would be expecting to encounter game, and can control the muzzle even if you fall or slip. If you encounter game or predators, you can shoulder, aim and remove the safety quickly enough for a shot at close range.

I have an x-bolt hunter and have been thinking about the carry options in the field. The safest option is safety on with an empty chamber however this creates some problems for a quick shot if necessary. If the safety is on, it is possible to work the bolt by pressing a button on the bolt handle. The difficulty is that the button needs to be pressed before upward pressure is applied to the bolt handle. If I try to lift the bolt then press the release button, it is difficult or impossible to push down the button to release the bolt. The manual suggests that the safety should be on while chambering a round. Even with practice I am not confident I can work the bolt quickly especially under stress. So, the other options for carrying on the trail are i) empty chamber safety off or ii) a round in the chamber safety on.

or, is a discussion of safeties completely pointless since they should not be relied on and any discussion of carrying a rifle with a round is the chamber should assume that the safety is off or will not work if relied on...

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Fred1
04-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Safeties suck! Most won't agree. I never walk with one in the chamber. Bolt closed over a full magazine it takes no time to jack a shell to shoot. However in certain situations I go in with one in the pipe. Ie looking for a bear or moose post wounding shot or unconfirmed animal on the ground. I had the safety removed from my marlin 45/70 To each his own. Never assume a firearm is safe. However if there is no shell in the tube the gun can't hurt anyone short of being a club. Be safe out there!

Drillbit
04-05-2014, 08:54 PM
First of all, Don't trust a safety and muzzle direction is key, always.

I have had, while carrying rifles, willows go into the trigger guard and pull the trigger (no bang, safety on). No injury would've happened as muzzle direction is key, but it sure would've surprised me.

If I'm alone, I have one in the pipe, mag fully loaded, with the safety on.

If I'm walking with others I usually have the mag in and loaded safety off. If a known target is being stalked with others, then one is in the pipe with the safety on.

Again, muzzle direction Trumps all.

Ozone
04-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Since I hunt alone 99.9% of the time, I hunt loaded with the safety on. If I'm with anyone else or know there are others in the area, the round comes out of the chamber.

itsy bitsy xj
04-05-2014, 09:02 PM
I have a Safari Sling on my rifle so its carried in front of me I usually have safety off and an empty chamber but I have gone with one in the pipe and safety on when I know I'm close to my prey

Everett
04-05-2014, 09:19 PM
One in the chamber always and it saved my life a couple years ago.

itsy bitsy xj
04-05-2014, 09:23 PM

Sound like that story should have its own thread ( i couldn't find the popcorn smiley face)

mikeboehm
04-05-2014, 09:35 PM
I have my loaded max and in my gun. Safety off and none in the chamber

leadpillproductions
04-05-2014, 09:38 PM
If im by myself one in chamber safety off ready to go always safe direction, if im with others one in chamber but not cocked lift bolt ready to go unless sketchy trail think cover .

Morel
04-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Ohh, we do need to hear the rest of the story. Inquiring minds want to know.

two-feet
04-05-2014, 10:08 PM
When I hunt with others I always initiate a talk where we can all be on the same page in terms of safety. When walking through the bush, no bullets in the pipe. When we get to the still hunting spot, ok to chamber a round with safety on. When walking back home, same thing.

When I hunt by myself I go with one chambered, safety on. This being said, I do not trust the safety what so ever, had a bad experience last season.

Guns scare me more than bears do, my own included. Just so many opportunities for things to go wrong.

Fisher-Dude
04-05-2014, 10:17 PM
If im by myself one in chamber safety off ready to go always safe direction

Yikes! Don't trip or slip down a hill or hook a branch.

Any reason why you choose to keep the safety off?

hookedonblacktails
04-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Safari sling....great design in my experience, very comfortable to wear as far as weight distribution and ready to go asap, I've got to the point where I just don't "get" regular slings, maybe it's just my style of hunting, and if needed safari slings can be used like a regular sling. I usually keep one in the chamber when hunting the Island, but I hunt alone, barrel always pointed downwardish. The spots I hunt are difficult to hunt, thick, fairly close range stuff and easy to get busted in and bucks are few and far between so I just want one less thing to worry about. When hunting more open areas like the interior, which isn't very often, I usually don't bother with one in the tube. All in all I think it's a good thing to have an empty chamber for safety reasons but you also need to do what you feel best about.

r106
04-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Depending on the terrain, If I'm by myself I have one in the chamber usually with the safety. If I'm with my hunting buddy we both are loaded but chambers empty. If it's nasty terrain then even if I'm by myself I will not have a round in the chamber.

gutpile
04-06-2014, 12:55 AM
If im by myself one in chamber safety off ready to go always safe direction, if im with others one in chamber but not cocked lift bolt ready to go unless sketchy trail think cover .That's very dangerious !

Steelwheels
04-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Always Clip in.. Empty chamber..

Kudu
04-06-2014, 04:22 AM

What he said.

sparkes3
04-06-2014, 07:03 AM
as in most cases depends on the circumstances,tracking wounded animal READY TO GO
thick stuff with a good chance of an animal (lots of bears) go slow READY TO GO
myself full load mag and pipe SAFETY ON
hunting with others LOADED MAG NOTHING IN THE PIPE.

Fella
04-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Full mag, empty chamber, safety on. I am not prepared to shoot a running animal, so in theory I should have plenty of time to push a round into the pipe. My safety is in a very convenient location, I just move my thumb over and push it up and we are good to go. I will never rely 100% on my safety so muzzle direction, even when there's no round in the chamber is always on my mind.

bcsteve
04-06-2014, 07:31 AM
If im by myself one in chamber safety off ready to go always safe direction, if im with others one in chamber but not cocked lift bolt ready to go unless sketchy trail think cover .

Live round and safety off!?! Your "safer" option leaves the spring loaded firing pin resting on a live round, not much better. Glad I don't hunt in Chetwynd.

Downwind
04-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Ally one in the pipe, safety on. Only exception is really nasty terrain. Muzzle direction is always top of mind. I've come across more animal 50 yards and under that the sound of the safety catch coming off is as much mechanical noise I want to be putting off. It might only take a second to chamber a round but it will take less then that for the metallic sounds of the bolt moving to put an animal into full flight.

hunter1993ap
04-06-2014, 07:40 AM
if hunting alone, I have one in the pipe, safety on. if with others the guy leading has one in the pipe, safety on.

Walksalot
04-06-2014, 08:00 AM
I hunt the bush most of the time and most of the time I am in very close proximity to the animal I am hunting. To chamber a round at that close distance is to much movement and to much noise. The vast majority of the animals never knew I was in the country and never heard the shot that killed them. If one puts his/her thumb on the safety with a bit of downward pressure the safety can come off without making a sound.

sed8ed
04-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Thats why I like my lever... one in the pipe but the hammer is decocked. She can't fire that way but its one quiet pull back if I see my quarry otherwise incase of emergency I can just cycle a round.

When bow hunting however, I carry my sidearm (Defender shotgun) barrel downwards on my back in a quick release sling and with no rounds in the chamber.

khoffnbud
04-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Is it just me that's confused when guys say unchambered with safety on, what's the point? Anyways, by myself it's full mag, one in the chamber with safety on. With others it's full mag, unchambered.

markomoose
04-06-2014, 10:08 AM
if hunting alone, I have one in the pipe, safety on. if with others the guy leading has one in the pipe, safety on.
Same as this guy!

KodiakHntr
04-06-2014, 10:23 AM
What I wonder with all these hot carry guys, is how many actually have tried a cold carry?!?
How many have missed an opportunity at an animal because it "was too much noise to chamber a round"?

Awfully surprised to see sooooo many guys put killing an animal as more important than NOT killing their hunting partner negligently.....

allan
04-06-2014, 02:27 PM
I don't hunt with my partners if they have a round chambered.
I sleep with my shotgun unchambered. Even after having a bear run into my tent last year on a solo trip.
I dont use a safety, it's either loaded or not.
Anyone who claims to have a hard time cycling their action because they get buck fever should spend more time training... I don't want to hunt beside anyone who gets that worked up.

markomoose
04-06-2014, 03:03 PM
What I wonder with all these hot carry guys, is how many actually have tried a cold carry?!?
How many have missed an opportunity at an animal because it "was too much noise to chamber a round"?

Awfully surprised to see sooooo many guys put killing an animal as more important than NOT killing their hunting partner negligently.....

Maybe eliminate your monolog? "Everyone dies at some point.And some folks have to die before others.Sometimes that ain't a bad thing" My hunting partners and I have the same understanding It's called TRUST.

Gateholio
04-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Depends on the situation. I'm not against carrying a live round in the chamber, I do it all the time. Conversely, at times it's foolish to do do- so I don't. Only method I'm really against is when guys load a round and close the bolt with trigger depressed to leave it uncocked.

markomoose
04-06-2014, 06:07 PM
I-m with you on that Gates.Certain situations involve common sense!Thats the first thing the instructor taught me.Still got the same hunting partners.

The Hermit
04-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Alone, one in the chamber safety on. With others then clip in but chamber empty. Bowhunting the defender is loaded but empty chamber - just bought a nice little scabbard that lets me slip it out nice and smooth and quick.

mcmullmar
04-06-2014, 06:24 PM
never have one in chamber,just in mag until i am ready to shoot

quadrakid
04-06-2014, 06:25 PM
I had a split second last year as I fell down a slippery bluff and my rifle was airborn to my side. I was really wishing I did not have one in the chamber. 850 dollar scope hit the rocks first.Safety worked.Normally ,if I,m on slippery ground or climbing over a fence etc I will empty the chamber.

Fred1
04-06-2014, 06:43 PM
I sleep with my shotgun unchambered. Even after having a bear run into my tent last year on a solo trip.
Anyone who claims to have a hard time cycling their action because they get buck fever should spend more time training... I don't want to hunt beside anyone who gets that worked up.

Exactly!! !

Fred1
04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
If you spend time around guns, you will see/ have a scary moment. It happens. Accidents happen. However, with guns, accidents can be very costly. Best to eliminate all possibilities as best can be done. As mentioned muzzle direction is the key! We teach that, or should be teaching that first and foremost to our young hunters - right?!!? Never ever trust a safety! (chit I preach this to my clients) I have seen safeties fail. I have seen guns go off with a sharp blow. Never never ever fully trust another person with a gun! No matter who he/she is. This is foolish... I have seen some incredibly stupid moves and accidents by guys (smart guys, good hunters) who have had guns all their lives. A couple of them are good friends. Once that bullet is fired, you cant take it back, so best to be "in full control" when this happens - don't set yourself up for the "accident". I cant stand the "one in the pipe"... Hunt hard, hunt safe and hunt smart!

finngun
04-06-2014, 07:10 PM
there only 2 kind of hunters...ones who has had an accident/or close call,,,or hunters ...acc/or close call waiting to happend:confused:

REMINGTON JIM
04-06-2014, 07:13 PM
If you spend time around guns, you will see/ have a scary moment. It happens. Accidents happen. However, with guns, accidents can be very costly. Best to eliminate all possibilities as best can be done. As mentioned muzzle direction is the key! We teach that, or should be teaching that first and foremost to our young hunters - right?!!? Never ever trust a safety! (chit I preach this to my clients) I have seen safeties fail. I have seen guns go off with a sharp blow. Never never ever fully trust another person with a gun! No matter who he/she is. This is foolish... I have seen some incredibly stupid moves and accidents by guys (smart guys, good hunters) who have had guns all their lives. A couple of them are good friends. Once that bullet is fired, you cant take it back, so best to be "in full control" when this happens - don't set yourself up for the "accident". I cant stand the "one in the pipe"... Hunt hard, hunt safe and hunt smart!

How DRAMACTIC is that ! are you a CORE teacher ? :confused: Theres nothing wrong with one in the pipe and safety on when a fellow is hunting alone and is in near combat with a Buck or Bear or WHU ! Now i agree when hunting with a bunch of hunters there is no need to be LIVE ! ( one in the spout ) BUT also the older- vetern hunter-shooters with a few years of experience - 20 ++++ usally get it and are VERY carefull ! :wink: There is NOT many hunting accidents-shootings for how many ARMED people there are out there every year ! JMO :) RJ

BY the way i have NEVER seen a SAFTEY Fail ! after 48 + years of Handloading- Shooting - Hunting - Gun collecting and i have owned over 200 + different firearms ! :wink: RJ

RoscoeP
04-06-2014, 07:23 PM
I carry mine "locked and loaded" 1 up the spout and safety on, usually slung on my right shoulder. If I am on rough terrain or suspect something is near by I will carry with both hands in front of me. Cheers

Surrey Boy
04-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Is it just me that's confused when guys say unchambered with safety on, what's the point? Anyways, by myself it's full mag, one in the chamber with safety on. With others it's full mag, unchambered.

Enfields won't cyle with the safely on. Mausers have a 3 position safety, which might need clarification as to its setting in this thread. My Browning safety won't engage unless it is cocked.

Levers may have half-cock, trigger block, hammer block, a pin that needs pressure on the lever, or a little plate between the hammer and pin that pulls out. Levers can be complicated.

Semi-autos and pumps usually have a trigger block safety that does not affect cycling or cocking the gun.

With all this mechanical diversity, I would ask for more detail before coming to a conclusion.

deer nut
04-06-2014, 08:01 PM
I always carry low ready if chambered, never slung! Should be nothing in the chamber when slung IMO.

Surrey Boy
04-06-2014, 08:05 PM
there only 2 kind of hunters...ones who has had an accident/or close call,,,or hunters ...acc/or close call waiting to happend:confused:

The reason we have multiple precautions is because they do fail. My thumb once slipped while cocking an ancient H&R, it fired into the ground before me because of safe muzzle direction. It was an accidental discharge, but was not unsafe.

Surrey Boy
04-06-2014, 08:14 PM
I too have yet to see a safety fail unless it has been tampered with (I know some amateur gunsmiths). Some safeties are harder to disengage, some will not do so if there is pull on the trigger, but I tested all my Remingtons after those allegations a few years back and have never found one to not work as described.

Downwind
04-06-2014, 08:18 PM

I never point my rifle in the direction of my hunting partner, loaded or unloaded. Takes negligence out of the equation. And I do a 'cold carry' all the time when bow hunting and that's because I can nock an arrow quietly, unlike cycling a round in a bolt action.

Downwind
04-06-2014, 08:32 PM

So why even bother bringing the shotgun? You're better of with a bat since the only you'd be able to do with it is club the bear.
And who said anything about difficulty cycling their action because of buck fever?

finngun
04-06-2014, 09:05 PM
my best hunting partner Brian was loading his gun outside of camper,,and by acc// blasted a shot in front of him..to the ground..quite wake up bang early morning...... he has parkinson settling in.. but he was very smart man.. and say ,,this is my last hunting trip..and it was..i feld really sorry for him..:cry: he passed away 2years ago..still missing him..

Fred1
04-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Ok RJ good point. Maybe "safety failure" is the wrong term. I guess that does sound more like a mechanical failure. Sorry lets try "safety reliance". More gooder?

leadpillproductions
04-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Sorry but it has saved me on a charging bear . not loaded when with others
That's very dangerious !

leadpillproductions
04-06-2014, 09:42 PM
I should clairfie this if im in heavy timber its ready to go , other than that one in pipe but not cocked
Live round and safety off!?! Your "safer" option leaves the spring loaded firing pin resting on a live round, not much better. Glad I don't hunt in Chetwynd.

REMINGTON JIM
04-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Ok RJ good point. Maybe "safety failure" is the wrong term. I guess that does sound more like a mechanical failure. Sorry lets try "safety reliance". More gooder?

You BET Buddy ! All GOOD ! :-D Cheers RJ

Gateholio
04-06-2014, 11:02 PM
I should clairfie this if im in heavy timber its ready to go , other than that one in pipe but not cocked

Dangerous to do that. Cock and lock it with the safety or leave chamber empty.

Morel
04-06-2014, 11:14 PM
My point in thinking about having the safety on with no round in the chamber a for a rifle designed where the action can be worked with the safety on. Once a round is chambered, the safety is still on until I have the gun shouldered, on target and then disengage the safety.

Walksalot
04-07-2014, 06:35 AM

Interesting comment. The person who hunts with a round in the chamber will chamber that round and then engage the safety. After a while that becomes automatic, chamber a round and on goes the safety. The people who only chamber a round when they see an animal I only have this comment. Do you realize that in the most intense part of the hunt you are waving around a rifle with one in the chamber and no safety? I can not think of a more dangerous scenario. The only time the safety comes off my rifle is when it is shouldered and I am pointing my rifle at the target I intend to hit. I don't know how many times I have lowered the rifle for some reason and shouldered it again only to find I had engaged the safety, it is a conditioned response. As far as buck fever comment goes I have heard that before and I find those hunters are uncomfortable in heavy bush and there fore are at a distance from the animal that the animal won't hear or see you chamber a round. In the past I hunted a lot from a tree stand and I have had whitetail bucks, at the sound of the rifle sling making a squeak in the stud in the stock, turn and walk away.

quaint bucket
04-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Chamber empty, safety off, loaded with my bolt action.

Chamber empty and open, safety off, loaded with my semi auto. So I can drop one in the tube if I need to.
If I'm in the bush, Chamber full, safety on, loaded.

JoeJoe
04-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Enfields won't cyle with the safely on. Mausers have a 3 position safety, which might need clarification as to its setting in this thread. My Browning safety won't engage unless it is cocked.

Levers may have half-cock, trigger block, hammer block, a pin that needs pressure on the lever, or a little plate between the hammer and pin that pulls out. Levers can be complicated.

Semi-autos and pumps usually have a trigger block safety that does not affect cycling or cocking the gun.

With all this mechanical diversity, I would ask for more detail before coming to a conclusion.

Exactly! How can one policy fit any or every gun or every situation. The guy that asked the question set a bunch of people up for criticism, that is about all that this thread is worth. I have a single shot and I don't care if I get a shot or not any more but I usually load it to go hunting and I always hunt alone with my gun uncocked. Single shots are quite silent to cock and very safe but there are likely some that think they are dangerous. I would not want to hunt with someone who is not safe but I also would not hunt with someone who is not able to figure out the safest way to pack a gun and be comfortable with it.. If your gun goes off accidentally and someone besides yourself is hurt or killed it will be your best friend or your father or brother.

allan
04-07-2014, 07:20 PM
Interesting comment. The person who hunts with a round in the chamber will chamber that round and then engage the safety. After a while that becomes automatic, chamber a round and on goes the safety. The people who only chamber a round when they see an animal I only have this comment. Do you realize that in the most intense part of the hunt you are waving around a rifle with one in the chamber and no safety? I can not think of a more dangerous scenario. The only time the safety comes off my rifle is when it is shouldered and I am pointing my rifle at the target I intend to hit. I don't know how many times I have lowered the rifle for some reason and shouldered it again only to find I had engaged the safety, it is a conditioned response. As far as buck fever comment goes I have heard that before and I find those hunters are uncomfortable in heavy bush and there fore are at a distance from the animal that the animal won't hear or see you chamber a round. In the past I hunted a lot from a tree stand and I have had whitetail bucks, at the sound of the rifle sling making a squeak in the stud in the stock, turn and walk away.

You make good points, and by the sounds of things have alot of practical experience.
My rules for my own hunting have evolved from personal experience. My best friend and hunting partner has been a great reason why I have my own rules... I love heading out on hunting trips with him but try as much as I can to not hunt right beside him.
I haven't Carried a firearm for hunting with in over 4 seasons. I like archery better. It has been great training to realize the level of calmness needed to get to 20 yards on big game as apposed to 250yds.

Morel
04-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Exactly! How can one policy fit any or every gun or every situation. The guy that asked the question set a bunch of people up for criticism, that is about all that this thread is worth.

If you bother to read my original post, I asked about how people carry under specific conditions and was referring to handling a specific rifle model. I didn't intend to set up anyone for criticism. However, given some of the posts, there are some people that should be criticized.