PDA

View Full Version : Where to hunt my rabbit hunting beagles?

Harvest the Land
04-05-2014, 02:29 PM
First of all, this site kicks ass!!

Second, I know its customary to tell a joke on my first post so: "What's the difference between a hunter and a fisherman? A hunter lies in wait. A fisherman waits and lies." I'm sure that one's been used many times.

I'm more of an angler than a hunter, but plan on getting more into hunting in the future. For the last 10 years I've been taking my beagles rabbit hunting at a spot here in the lower mainland that has become increasingly developed and its not as safe as it used to be to hunt my dogs in this area (and there's way less rabbits now than there was 5 years ago). I don't ever bring a gun or try to kill the rabbits; I just like to let my dogs practice flushing them out. They've killed the odd one, but its very rare.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts of where I could go to take my dogs to track some bunnies here in the lower mainland? I was thinking somewhere in the Boundary Bay Dyke Trail area, or the Serpentine Fen area, since those areas are fairly close by (I live in North Delta). Does anyone know if I may run into any kind of trouble (with the law or other people having a problem with what I'm doing) if I were to take my dogs hunting in either of these areas? I'm willing to drive much further into the Valley if need be. My breeder lives in the Ferndale area and doesn't really hunt his dogs until the fall; so looking for somewhere to hunt them locally in the meantime.

I've searched online for hours trying to find any kind of beagle rabbit hunting clubs here in the lower mainland, but can't find anything. I guess its not as big of a hobby here in the lower mainland as it is out east or down south?

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!