PDA

View Full Version : 8-03 B Sheep

Rob
04-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Cant travel too far this year due to getting married so looking at something more local for sheep, Odds don't look all that great but wondering what trails folks may used to get up to the alpine, was looking at 8-03 A but like the looks of B. I did a search but didn't come across too much.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

MichelD
04-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Good choice. I can't help you with access but all I know is that 8-03A is a gong show with people seemingly unable to understand the meaning of a motor -vehicle closed sign for hunters area. There are quad trails to the alpine used by the rancher to monitor his cattle so if you hike up through the trees from your camp below hoping to sneak up on the sheep, chances are some dingbat has already driven up there on his quad.

When I was there a guy on a quad went up there before me at daybreak, I heard a shot and the next day some other hunters found an illegal kill.

In 8-03B only a private lodge owner has road access . You have to walk in or go on horseback I think.

Everett
04-05-2014, 02:15 PM
8-03B is in the Park at least 10 hike in it can also be accessed through the Indian reserve but you are probably going to have to pay if they allow access at all.

tracker
04-05-2014, 02:36 PM
both good areas and lots of sheep !!

goatdancer
04-05-2014, 02:39 PM
When we went up into the park to camp and hike we were able to get a ride up to the lodge from the lodge operator. There was a cost of course, can't remember the amount. Would be worth checking to see if this option is still available. We had a fenced and gated (locked) place to leave our vehicle while we were gone.

GoatGuy
04-05-2014, 03:22 PM
The crater side is in bad shape from the mites. I thought it was going to be shut down this year but obviously not. Wouldn't recommend putting in there.

The snowy side is about 3 hours of hiking to get started in to the hunting. The loop takes at least 5 days to do. Early draw is the best but also highest odds.

If you get the draw fire a pm. Will put some Xs on the map.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-05-2014, 08:10 PM
When we went up into the park to camp and hike we were able to get a ride up to the lodge from the lodge operator. There was a cost of course, can't remember the amount. Would be worth checking to see if this option is still available. We had a fenced and gated (locked) place to leave our vehicle while we were gone.

They take you into the "Core" of Cathedral park which is not open to hunting.

SSS

Rob
04-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks for he info guys, will have to ponder this some more..

goatdancer
04-06-2014, 11:32 AM
They take you into the "Core" of Cathedral park which is not open to hunting.

SSS

So I gather that means you can't walk thru there with an unloaded rifle.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-06-2014, 11:41 AM
So I gather that means you can't walk thru there with an unloaded rifle.

I'm sure you can but make sure you hide it on the ride as I've heard their reaction when they see hunters on the way up the road.
Not many people chase sheep up that way....at least up top.

SSS