PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Tents with Wood Stove

snareman1234
04-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Folks,

I gritted my teeth and focused on the species at hand (sheep, goat and elk all on separate trips) during multiple late fall hunts in the Kootenays in 2013, in an MSR hubba hubba HP. While freezing my bag off I vowed to invest in a better camp come next fall so that I could enjoy a bit more comfort.

Fast forward to spring 2014 (Spring? I'm in Edmonton freezing my bag off here now too), and I'm researching tents with stoves. The common pattern I see is a tipi-style tent with a titanium stove.

Does anyone have experience with these tents? Pros, cons? Brands to buy from?

I see that multiple brands provide a similar product at a range of prices so I'm looking for some info from those in the know.

A few sites:

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/products.html

http://seekoutside.com/products/wood-stoves/

http://store.kifaru.net/shelters-c5.aspx

frenchbar
04-04-2014, 06:32 PM
pm dana pretty sure hes got a kifaru

Stone Sheep Steve
04-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Folks,

I gritted my teeth and focused on the species at hand (sheep, goat and elk all on separate trips) during multiple late fall hunts in the Kootenays in 2013, in an MSR hubba hubba HP. While freezing my bag off I vowed to invest in a better camp come next fall so that I could enjoy a bit more comfort.

Fast forward to spring 2014 (Spring? I'm in Edmonton freezing my bag off here now too), and I'm researching tents with stoves. The common pattern I see is a tipi-style tent with a titanium stove.

I see that multiple brands provide a similar product at a range of prices so I'm looking for some info from those in the know.

A few sites:

Funny...I was just talking to a buddy who picked up a Tigoat stove and seek outside teepee and he sure wishes he had something like that back in the day.

SSS

358mag
04-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Folks,

A few sites:

Have a Kifaru tipi 4 man and a med titanium stove . Great tent, works good for 2 guys you can put your packs etc inside with the stove no problem , with 3 guys inside no room for gear . The stove works great but best you with get is a 1 1/2 -2 hour burn time . In cold snowy weather you will get a lot of condensation inside the tent . Tent take a bigger foot print than a normal sized back pack tent . Nice to have the stove to warm up , just make sure you cut " Lots" of firewood , and don't touch the walls of the tent or its shower time . Hope that helps you out .

JLsteel
04-04-2014, 08:01 PM
buddy and I use a 4 man tipi from kifaru, I wouldn't want anymore than 2 people plus gear in the tent. Its a great tent to warm up and dry stuff off when it rains. It wont keep you warm all night, the stove burns through the wood fairly quick so if you don't have a quality bag and pad for the temperature you will still get cold during the night. Stove and tent are about 8lbs i think so not light by any means. We use it as mainly a base camp tent and carry bivy and tarp in pack. Have you considered upgrading your bag and pad? those will make a bigger difference in my opinion

bigneily
04-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Wasn't shockey endorseing a new lightweight tent similar to a wall tent ?

JLsteel
04-04-2014, 08:06 PM
I think its the arctic ovens

http://www.alaskatent.com/

bigneily
04-04-2014, 08:07 PM
I think it was also , Thanx

snareman1234
04-04-2014, 08:08 PM
buddy and I use a 4 man tipi from kifaru, I wouldn't want anymore than 2 people plus gear in the tent. Its a great tent to warm up and dry stuff off when it rains. It wont keep you warm all night, the stove burns through the wood fairly quick so if you don't have a quality bag and pad for the temperature you will still get cold during the night. Stove and tent are about 8lbs i think so not light by any means. We use it as mainly a base camp tent and carry bivy and tarp in pack. Have you considered upgrading your bag and pad? those will make a bigger difference in my opinion

Thanks for the info!

I have a exped downmat 7, and a montbell ultralight sprial down bag (-10). I could get a bag with a lower rating for those later hunts, but I think I have pretty decent gear as is. In general, it's just cold out and having a place to sit in a shelter with a fire would really change a guys outlook. The two hunts that really ring home for cold was a Nov goat hunt and a late Oct sheep hunt until the end of season. I know crouching over a fire in the dark at 9 am cooking mtn house is "the dream", but I could go for a little slice of luxury!

goinghunting
04-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Ive looked at these and cant get over the floorless part. I dont see how thats going to work when there's a foot of snow on the ground when you get there?

How are you guys making these work in the snow?

Everett
04-04-2014, 08:31 PM
We have two tipis one with a stove it weighs 6lb without poles and a lightweight spike camp model no stove weighs 2lb and sets up with a hiking pole. The big one cost under $100 to make and the little one under $60. The stove is homemade no good for backpacking but great for base camp it weighs around 10lb with stove pipe I have been loving being able to dry our gear out and just hang out in the warmth when the weather sucks.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCF1278.JPG (javascript:;)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCF1200.JPG (javascript:;)

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Cool home made tent,could you share the detailes about materials on your big tent? Fire rating ..place of purchase ...

shallowH2O
04-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Have the mountain tipi from tipi tent and a kifaru large stove. All told with stove about 23 lbs. good fly in base camp set up

dana
04-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Ive looked at these and cant get over the floorless part. I dont see how thats going to work when there's a foot of snow on the ground when you get there?

How are you guys making these work in the snow?

Kifaru has test videos showing their tipis on Everest IRC. The design with no floor is to give the best wind resistance there is. You cannot get the cone shape if you had a floor. Thus you could get blown off the mountain in gale force winds. As for working in snow. They have test videos that show it well. Just means having good pads or laying fir bows under your pads to keep the moisture from coming up. Having slept in extreme winter conditions in name brand 4 season tents, I can tell ya, you still get wet and cold coming up through the floor in regular doom style tents when you are camped on snow. With a floor you wouldn't be able to safely light a stove as well. I haven't used my Kifaru in the winter yet, but have had it up in late fall and have been very comfy in it. The stove is an amazing asset to dry gear, cook, and enjoy heat before bed or first thing in the morning to take the edge off. It burns fuel quickly a 2 hour burn is about max. But it doesn't take long to get toasty and things can really dry out. Means you don't have to pack as much clothes and if you want you can also leave the cooking stove at home as well. I have a 6 man which works great for my family of 4. Sleeps all of us and our gear comfortably. At just over 10 pounds with stove it is extremely light when you share weight. 4 people going with 2 regular tents would be comparable in weight but they wouldn't have the comfort of a wood burning stove. :)

Everett
04-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Cool home made tent,could you share the detailes about materials on your big tent? Fire rating ..place of purchase ....

The big one is made of rip stop fire ******ant nylon got on clearance from US retailer because the material smelled bad the top is a lightweight cordura like material, the small tipi is sill nylon. I designed them and the Wife sewed them up at the kitchen table.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-05-2014, 03:28 PM

The big one is made of rip stop fire ******ant nylon got on clearance from US retailer because the material smelled bad the top is a lightweight cordura like material, the small tipi is sill nylon. I designed them and the Wife sewed them up at the kitchen table.

Thank you for your time !

GoatGuy
04-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Build it this summer. Cut wood, pack in stove.

You might even be able to find someone with a couple horses to help run some gear in there.

Should also be able to find someone to put some xs on the map at the north end of the valley at least.

dana
04-05-2014, 04:34 PM
This is why I love the stove!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/2012/October2009013.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCBOY/media/2012/October2009013.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/2012/July27036a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCBOY/media/2012/July27036a.jpg.html)

Aaron Evans
04-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Wish I could figure out how to upload photos.
I built one with 4ft walls. Looks like a Yert. Cost 135 with the stove jack. Way more space than just the straight tipi.

Buck
04-05-2014, 05:38 PM
I have a Nemo Pentalite with stove jack put in by Bear Paw designs.The Pentalite has more space in it than a regular tipi.And you can find a Pentalite for a very good price these days.

argyle1
04-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Hey I recognize that tent and dog-- fly in from Dease-- lol-- that's a nice tent, I didn't realize it was homemade. It looked pretty fine compared to our tarp-- does it have a floor?

Fisher-Dude
04-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Build it this summer. Cut wood, pack in stove.

You might even be able to find someone with a couple horses to help run some gear in there.

Should also be able to find someone to put some xs on the map at the north end of the valley at least.

If it's the north end of the valley I'm thinking of, and if I can ride Budly in, I'll come along and point them out. lol

Ian F.
04-05-2014, 06:22 PM
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?6849-Stove-Jack-Installation!

Curiosity lead me here

Everett
04-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Hey I recognize that tent and dog-- fly in from Dease-- lol-- that's a nice tent, I didn't realize it was homemade. It looked pretty fine compared to our tarp-- does it have a floor?

No Floor but very comfortable sure beats a tarp, we actually flew in from Watson hear is a couple other pics one showing the stove jack
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCF1267.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCF1150.jpg (javascript:;)

Quesnel Kid
04-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Look up Arctic ovens. They are incredible use them for winter ski trips. If you are not back packing it in to far it is the answer.

snareman1234
04-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Very good info shared here. OK here's another question. Anyone who has an EXPED mat...You know that you need to protect the bottom of the mat from sticks etc or they pop and deflate....Without a floor what do you guys do?? Pack an extra footprint for each guy?? Not use an EXPED?

dana
04-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Those cheap Blue pads are the best route to go and they insulate better against the cold coming through the ground than the air ones do. They are easier the roll up and lighter to boot.

BCHunterTV
04-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Get a Kuiu Mnt Star 2 person tent..3.5 lbs!

shallowH2O
04-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Ive used my symat 9 all over the place from rocky mountain tops to pine forest floors. never had a problem with it deflating or popping and im a big guy

Rackmastr
04-06-2014, 03:44 PM
I used a Kifaru 4-man on a late season Stone's sheep hunt last year in the first week of October.

Worked good, but some issues we had were condensation (and lots of it) and water/heat/dirt management. I used an Exped mat and a Tyvek ground sheet that worked very well actually. They are great for heating up after a cold/wet day and really sitting around in the morning or evening while preparing for the hunt, having a coffee, etc.

One thing I didnt like was the amount of condensation we got on rainy nights. It actually felt like it was raining in the tent which made for an interesting time. A liner could help that maybe?

My hunting partner hated the fact we had mice in there as well and it kept him awake haha.

Overall they have some great positives and some drawbacks. The stove wont keep you warm for long but will keep some heat and allow you to fall asleep comfortable and dry.

Cordillera
04-06-2014, 06:17 PM
I have a seek outside six person with a stove. To mange condensation I have a liner which came with the tent. I also built a floor out of tarp that weighs about a pound that comes along for river trips. I chose seek outside over kifaru or tigoat because it had more features, especially a sod cloth and a second door.

I have learned these are bug proof only when there are not many bugs! I am going to buy a bug proof nest that foes inside and includes a floor and addresses condensation. That will leu us use the tipi in the mountains in July. I will have a roomy tent that is comfortable for four people with a wood stove for the same weight as a four person tent from MEC. For a two person hunt some of the smaller models from seek outside would be more suitable. The quality is good and I really like having that stove at the end of a wet day to dry out!

Everett
04-06-2014, 06:28 PM
I used a Kifaru 4-man on a late season Stone's sheep hunt last year in the first week of October.

Worked good, but some issues we had were condensation (and lots of it) and water/heat/dirt management. I used an Exped mat and a Tyvek ground sheet that worked very well actually. They are great for heating up after a cold/wet day and really sitting around in the morning or evening while preparing for the hunt, having a coffee, etc.

One thing I didnt like was the amount of condensation we got on rainy nights. It actually felt like it was raining in the tent which made for an interesting time. A liner could help that maybe?

My hunting partner hated the fact we had mice in there as well and it kept him awake haha.

Overall they have some great positives and some drawbacks. The stove wont keep you warm for long but will keep some heat and allow you to fall asleep comfortable and dry.

You need a dog they will keep away the mice and warn you about bears as a bonus. Sounds like the tipi needs a bit better venting.

HCH
04-06-2014, 06:33 PM
I dont think the Kuiu Tents are available yet?

The Hermit
04-06-2014, 06:38 PM
I didn't think you could import the seek outside tipi because they are not fire ******ed? I have and sell their ti stoves - used a small last year early season in my 12x14 lightweight wall tent - it wasn't really big enough but helped to dry things out - very wet trip.

BromBones
04-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Those cheap Blue pads are the best route to go and they insulate better against the cold coming through the ground than the air ones do. They are easier the roll up and lighter to boot.

Amen to that. Instant warm as soon as your body heat gets into it and you don't have to worry about holes or damage. If you do wreck them, $20 gets you a new one.

Everett
04-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Amen to that. Instant warm as soon as your body heat gets into it and you don't have to worry about holes or damage. If you do wreck them, $20 gets you a new one.

When its cold foam is still king, but most of the time my sore old body loves my Neo Air we have had two of them for 4 years and no holes yet. But if it goes below -7 they suck.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Very good info shared here. OK here's another question. Anyone who has an EXPED mat...You know that you need to protect the bottom of the mat from sticks etc or they pop and deflate....Without a floor what do you guys do?? Pack an extra footprint for each guy?? Not use an EXPED?

I haven't used a teepee yet but I can't see myself going back to a ridge rest after making the move to an exped downmat UL. My back is getting older and the sleep quality on an Exped Downmat is exponentially better on the exped. Still pack a 3/4 RR for back up and glassing.

SSS

dana
04-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I guess I'm not old enough to appreciate an air matress yet. hahaha

Deaddog
04-06-2014, 09:51 PM
well.......... I am old, no mat, not even the foam one, use my spare clothes to sleep on, tried a tipi tent once... never again, huge footprint, condensation and it got brushed by the stove pipe and had a one foot cut in it. so cabalas model with floor, homemade stove, sixteen pound. we pack it in thirteen kms , have great night sleep, use my boots as a pillow....hopefully I will catch up to technology some day

Cordillera
04-08-2014, 06:26 AM
I didn't think you could import the seek outside tipi because they are not fire ******ed? I have and sell their ti stoves - used a small last year early season in my 12x14 lightweight wall tent - it wasn't really big enough but helped to dry things out - very wet trip.

I ordered direct from seek outside and didn't look much at import rules.

I agree on the stove comment. The small ones are really small. I have a large and if it is really wet and cold it is just right. I like to crank it up to dry stuff out and a few more ounces on the stove is worth it.

huntfish
12-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Check out oware pyramid tents, they also have tarp tents, cheaper than all the big makers of tipi style, and look at liteoutdoors for your titanium wood stove, I have the ware pyramid 11x11 tent with the tigoat stove boot sewed in, no pic but trust me this combo works

Saskhunter
12-21-2017, 08:21 PM
I have the camo hunter tipitent, has the tophat, center pole, woodstove with the water reservoir on the side(i don’t recommend that, its a pain in the ass) just heat water in a pot. The longest ive stayed in it was ten days on a Goat trip in October. Snowed a bunch on it, no issues. I dont have a floor, slept in a cot and took some carpet runner for beside the cot. Was very comfy and piles of room for two guys, four guys would be tight with all the gear. We had cots and a table in there, all our packs and bags. The only issue i have is the setup time. Alot of ropes and you need something to pack around the outside at the bottom to keep the wind out. Its worth the time for a long ten day or so trip but if I was going for three or four days i wouldnt take it.

264mag
12-21-2017, 08:33 PM
I have a 6 man Kifaru with liner and a lite outdoors stove. Tent and stove are just under 10 lbs. tons of room for 3-4 guys and gear. Its a bit heavy to pack but very comfortable. Biggest challenge is finding a large enough flat spot to pitch. The stove is a game changer and will spoil you.

I am looking at the new Kuiu Summit refuge as a backpack tent. This tent has a nest and a zip out stove jack. My only concern is that they are new and virtually untested. There are no reviews yet.

If anyone can shed light on this tent that would be great.

northernguy
12-21-2017, 08:40 PM
I have a Seek Outside 6 man teepee and stove. Love it. Light and roomy for two guys and a bunch of gear. I use a couple of 3 foot by 7 foot sheets of house wrap to lay our bedrolls on to keep them dry and clean (Its cheap and light but use the white, soft stuff...the other stuff is too noisy!). Condensation can be a problem but with a bit of practice, it's manageable. Using a floor less sil-nylon teepee requires learning a few techniques for site selection, condensation management, gear organization, stove management and so on. Simple tricks that make the whole experience much better. This is best done by camping out lots and trying different things. I have it dialled in now and I like the set up better every time I use it!

264mag
12-21-2017, 09:38 PM
We use 2 person tent footprints for ground sheets, work well, quiet, and pack up well.