PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Ontario?

Fella
04-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Looks like I'll be heading east next year for work. Probably be gone a couple years, so wanted to find out if anyone knows if someone with a bc hunter number has to do all their hunter education courses. Also, is everything on a draw system there?

Much appreciated!

HarryToolips
04-04-2014, 06:08 PM
From what I've heard, all moose, elk, and WT bucks are on LEH, while WT does, black bear, turkey are on GOS...man BC is the best eh??

lorneparker1
04-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Elk is basically a one in a life time draw, they just started introducing them to the PROVINCE in the last decade, and hunting them just started in the last few years.... Moose is on are on a draw, but fairly easy to get drawn especially in a group. WT bucks are most definitely not on a draw. You can shoot one basically all fall with a bow just about everywhere is gos. For guns depending on where you live (south of Toronto for the most part) there is a shotgun season where you apply for a draw where you are able to take either sex for a either in nov or dec (one or the other). in most areas you can buy extra tags for that week as well. We hunted the November season most years and it wasn't uncommon to shoot 12-15 deer with 5 guys. The same applies north/east of Toronto except you can use rifles in most areas. BE warned the bushes south/west of Toronto are FULL of people those weeks. Every bush block is surrounded by guys in orange driving deer. The key is to lock up some bushes well before the season, put some cams up and kill em. More than enough deer to go around. I don't know anything about black bears never hunted them when I lived there. Turkeys there are tons and there is a spring and fall season for them now cause there is so many. Lots of ducks and geese to. Where are you moving? im from there so I might be able to help you out.

Lastly I would assume a bc hunter number is sufficient but I don't know forsure. I apply for non resident license there to kill ducks when I am back visiting the family and its a non issue.

Fella
04-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Yep I'm going to miss hunting here!

Fella
04-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Where are you moving? im from there so I might be able to help you out.

Lastly I would assume a bc hunter number is sufficient but I don't know forsure. I apply for non resident license there to kill ducks when I am back visiting the family and its a non issue.

Going to be in Ottawa. Appreciate the info Lorne!

gutpile
04-04-2014, 06:27 PM
I feel sorry for you, living in that rat race.

onpoint
04-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Fella, I'm from West of Ottawa. Haven't hunted there in years but WT bucks are definitely not on LEH/draw and as someone else already pointed out if you're into archery you have a BIG season to hunt. My home turf (about 1 hour + West) you could hunt from end of Sept - end of Dec with a break in Nov for the rifle season but you'll need to double check the regs. For moose there are good odds on the draws but it will depend on the area you want to hunt. My family always headed North (as in same drive to get to Northern BC distance) and always had tags. PM me if you'd like more info. BIG difference is all parks are a no-go. PM if you'd like more info.

.330 Dakota
04-04-2014, 06:37 PM
I am from Ont,,lived there my whole life until 2006. Hunting there is a joke compared to BC. The deer season is 2 weeks long. Anywhere there is an abundance of deer, there is an over abundance of hunters and posted land. Moose areon LEH and whitetail does are LEH. Bucks are open. Bears are open in fall, and I just heard from a buddy they are opening spring bear again on a limited basis in some areas. I was so sick of trying to get a moose tag, I turned to bow hunting in order to get tags.
I love BC and would never never never return to Ont. Sorry to hear your going. As far as licensing, your BC hunter number should be fine for obtaining the Ontatio Outdoors Card, which combines a 3 year hunting license, 3 year small games permit, and a 3 year fishing license all in one card. However please photo-copy your BC Hunter Number Card and keep the original. When returning to BC, the BC govt will not recognize the Ontario Outdoor Card
Good luck there,,,BTW,,,the grouse hunting is actually good.

lorneparker1
04-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Going to be in Ottawa. Appreciate the info Lorne!

I feel sorry for you, living in that rat race.

I lived in Ottawa for 3 years. Pm if you need some specifics, unreal water fowling in the area. Never did much big game there though. You will love Ottawa if you are from the LML. lol. Ottawa is far from a rat race especially in comparison to the LML. Ottawa was by far my favourite place I lived in Ont. TONS of stuff to do in the off season, good fishing, and good waterfowling.

.330 Dakota
04-04-2014, 11:54 PM
I lived in Ottawa for 3 years. Pm if you need some specifics, unreal water fowling in the area. Never did much big game there though. You will love Ottawa if you are from the LML. lol. Ottawa is far from a rat race especially in comparison to the LML. Ottawa was by far my favourite place I lived in Ont. TONS of stuff to do in the off season, good fishing, and good waterfowling.

Seems to me that there is some decent whitetail hunting just south of Ottawa as well

Steelpulse
04-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Pick up some game cameras and go find a big buck, pattern it and shoot it, the seasons are much shorter for. Deer for gunss unfortunately but as stated above, waterfowling, turkeys and upland hunting are incredible, tons of grouse, woodcock are a blast, rabbits, have fun, also I hope. You fish because you are entering a province where you can start seriously fishing monster pike and musky giant bass walleye you name it, I grew up in ontario and the fishing is 100 times better for freshwater fishing in my opinion, enjoy the time out east

wicket
05-12-2014, 05:01 PM
we issue licenses at the duck club I guide at....proof of hunting is required. An old original license will do and you MUST leave it with the issuer. all the above info is accurate as far as hunting and fishing opportunities. As much as I hate southern Ontario the province isn't all that bad for outdoors stuff. lots of opportunity in quebec too for hunting since you will be in the ottawa area. good luck

BRvalley
05-14-2014, 08:45 AM
the rat race in ON is way better than lower mainland, actually have highway systems that move traffic lol...transit systems are far more developed if you happen to be working in the city

big game hunting is certainly limited compared to BC, so you'll miss that aspect...take up the bow

small game is equal/better

freshwater fishing is way better, and Ottawa area has a lot to offer....you can still get your trout and salmon but not as good/big as BC

bass fishing is amazing but they don't grow too many of the 10 lb+ largemouth you see down south....fighting a 30lb salmon in open water is fun, but to me, pulling a monster bass out of the thickest weeds and timber is just better...walleye, pike, musky is world class....your first 50"+ musky on a top water you'll never forget!

Fella
05-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the info guys, it makes the bitter pill easier to swallow!

hare_assassin
05-14-2014, 08:59 AM
However please photo-copy your BC Hunter Number Card and keep the original. When returning to BC, the BC govt will not recognize the Ontario Outdoor Card

They accepted mine, no questions asked.

lorneparker1
05-14-2014, 09:03 AM
They accepted mine, no questions asked.

Same.

Lorne

Steelpulse
05-14-2014, 10:01 AM
the rat race in ON is way better than lower mainland, actually have highway systems that move traffic lol...transit systems are far more developed if you happen to be working in the city

big game hunting is certainly limited compared to BC, so you'll miss that aspect...take up the bow

small game is equal/better

freshwater fishing is way better, and Ottawa area has a lot to offer....you can still get your trout and salmon but not as good/big as BC

bass fishing is amazing but they don't grow too many of the 10 lb+ largemouth you see down south....fighting a 30lb salmon in open water is fun, but to me, pulling a monster bass out of the thickest weeds and timber is just better...walleye, pike, musky is world class....your first 50"+ musky on a top water you'll never forget!

Yes pulling boss hawg bass out of the weeds is epic, topwater fishing is a whole other world of excitement with pike and musky and bass

wideopenthrottle
05-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Ontario is a huge place....too bad you are going to the crappy part (better weather but way more people).....I grew up on lake of the woods but have been here in bc more than half my life...hunting anywhere north of sault ste marie is world class but fishing is incredible almost anywhere in the province (basicly anywhere in bc there is a mountain, there will be a lake in northern Ontario) where I grew up, if you went to a lake/spot and there was someone there you would drive another km or two to find your own lake/spot ...you have to try fresh filleted walleye for a shore lunch....it is the best fish I have ever eaten. blows salmon away by a mile... winter severity/snowfall is by far the biggest factor in determining deer populations there... I will never move back there though and rarely even visit anymore..
wide

Fella
05-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the tips man. Wife and I ended up settling in Victoria so I get to enjoy BC for the foreseeable future!

Hanrahan
05-05-2015, 02:09 PM
I lived in Northern Ontario. Thunder Bay and North. The hunting there can be great or not depending on where you are. Where I was the moose season went from Sept 10 to dec 15 th. you get a calf tag when you walk in to purchase your moose licence. If you want you then put in for antlered or antlerless in the draw in whatever area you want. Your calf tag is still good anywhere in the province though. You can also try to get surplus tags. Deer hunting varies with deer population. I had at least 3 deer tags last time I went hunting in Dryden, both antlered and antlerless. I didn't have to put in for a draw, but some places you do for deer. Also loads of grouse hunting. There might be turkeys around ottawa now. I know they have been trying to bring them back and have been successful elsewhere in the province. Lots of black bear. Freash fried walleye is the best shore linch there is. Don't even bother with elk. Most of the hunt is on private land with the landowners charging you to hunt them. Enjoy it. And enjoy the french girls in Hull!

Daka
11-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the tips man. Wife and I ended up settling in Victoria so I get to enjoy BC for the foreseeable future!

Much better than Ottawa.
Ontario hunting is peanuts compared to BC.
In BC everyone prize WT bucks for some reason and in Ontario there is many hunting opportunities for them. Rifle season is short and tons of hunters everywhere but bow season is good except must have place to hunt without sharing for success.
Lucky you staying in BC because you would be dissapointed with "hunting" in Ontario.