PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Rescue Dogs

Spirit's Master
04-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Interesting article on the practice of bringing in dogs from other countries.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/5-calgary-dogs-diagnosed-with-rare-infectious-disease-1.2595999

cwf

spear
04-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Not much of an issue if the dogs are spayed and neutered.
just got back from 10 days in Mexico, we looked into bringing a dog back, probably will in the future. Most of my close friends with rescues have been out of the Baja and Southern Mexico, healthiest happiest dogs Ive seen.

SPEYMAN
04-04-2014, 11:23 AM
The SPCA, City Pound and other agencies have lots of dogs that need rescuing,why bring in dogs from other Provinces,States or Countries?

snow
04-04-2014, 11:32 AM
The SPCA has lots of dogs that need rescuing,why bring in dogs from other Provinces,States or Countries?

just like children... lots of Canadian orphans but we keep adopting them from other countries.... maybe the system just like with SPCA is cumbersome to work through?

kinderdoggin
04-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Not much of an issue if the dogs are spayed and neutered.
just got back from 10 days in Mexico, we looked into bringing a dog back, probably will in the future. Most of my close friends with rescues have been out of the Baja and Southern Mexico, healthiest happiest dogs Ive seen.

It is definitely an issue even if they are spayed or neutered. Brucellosis is transmissible to humans and while the most common dog-dog transmission is through sexual contact (which by the way, spayed or neutered dogs can still partake in), it is not the only way that another dog can catch this. I am shocked that the infected dogs have not been ordered to be destroyed. Thought that was mandatory for this disease! I am sure this is not the only foreign disease that has been imported either!

stubby
04-04-2014, 04:27 PM
just like children... lots of Canadian orphans but we keep adopting them from other countries.... maybe the system just like with SPCA is cumbersome to work through?

I'm not judging anyone bringing in an out of country dog, a saved dog is a saved dog. But it's extremely easy to adopt from the spca. I got mine a couple of years ago and it took about an hours worth of effort. The only problem you could have is finding the right dog for your household.

snow
04-04-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm not judging anyone bringing in an out of country dog, a saved dog is a saved dog. But it's extremely easy to adopt from the spca. I got mine a couple of years ago and it took about an hours worth of effort. The only problem you could have is finding the right dog for your household.

I had a completely different experience. I wanted to get a dog from the SPCA and spent about a month looking in the whole lower mainland for a dog. For every dog I applied for, there were many applicants and I was not selected, although I believe my husband and I would have made an ideal home for an adopted dog - we have a house with backyard, work from home, are active outside, etc... It was a pretty frustrating experience, because there were many dogs but obviously I did not qualify for any :-) This was 9 years ago so maybe things have changed.

stubby
04-04-2014, 04:52 PM
I had a completely different experience. I wanted to get a dog from the SPCA and spent about a month looking in the whole lower mainland for a dog. For every dog I applied for, there were many applicants and I was not selected, although I believe my husband and I would have made an ideal home for an adopted dog - we have a house with backyard, work from home, are active outside, etc... It was a pretty frustrating experience, because there were many dogs but obviously I did not qualify for any :-) This was 9 years ago so maybe things have changed.

Maybe we just got really lucky. We walked one other dog that we didn't think would work out. A couple of days later my girlfriend went back to walk another dog that had been adopted already so she walked the dog we adopted in stead. She fell in love with him so I went and took him for a walk the next day. I thought he was pretty awesome as well so I had a sit down with the spca adoption person, filled out the paper work, consulted my vet, and then took him home. It may have been that he was 3 yrs old and already had a greying muzzle. People thought he was much older by appearance.

yamadirt 426
04-04-2014, 06:22 PM
SPCA is a pain in the ass. I've got a few dogs and couple of cats from them. I find they are a little too strict. I understand why but they have to loosen up a bit. They may not like the way you style your hair and that might be enough for them to pick someone else. I also think the adoption fee is kinda high. But whatever.....

I do think we should take care of our own pet population first.

Iron Glove
04-04-2014, 08:36 PM
We often run across a guy here walking a god awful ugly dog so I asked him what it was. He said it was a rescued Mexican Hairless dog. I said "But it's got a lot of hair ??" He just laughed and said "Go figure, eh ??"

Sherpa
04-04-2014, 08:57 PM
The SPCA is run by emotional people. There is no question that they care. Unfortunately emotion clouds good judgement. I have seen good dogs go to bad owners and bad dogs go to good owners. Discover a pet that fits your lifestyle , time and commitment..........it may be a gold fish.