PDA

View Full Version : Fire Effects on Moose

GoatGuy
04-04-2014, 03:00 AM
Ran across this as part on another project.

Some great stuff in here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/animals/mammal/alam/all.html#FireEffectsAndManagement

Shade Tree
04-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Interesting reading...I wonder how much the moose differ from elk and sheep in their habits after post fires. We need more controlled burns in the north country, especially after the pine beetle has ravaged much of our pine forests.

M.Dean
04-04-2014, 08:06 AM
I think it was 2003 we had all the big fires around us up here, that fall and winter there was more moose in this part of 3-27 than I've ever seen in my life! They came here trying to get away from the fires. 2004 wasn't to bad either, but then we were back to seeing a few bulls and cows with calves wandering around, not moose in every field. But, when we hunted the old burnt area's from a few years back, you could stop darn near anywhere on the roads and glass the new green grass with the black, dead tree's and see moose. Moose love the grass's that grow in the burnt out areas, I remember hunting Allen lake up Jamieson Creek the year after the fires, same thing, the moose where thick as rabbit's on there 7 year cycle! Years ago there were no mars water bombers or hundreds of men putting out the fires, they burnt until the fall rains came, or winters snow stopped them, and the moose and deer loved it! It was natures way to kill off the bug's and let new grass and trees grow. But, now a days people live in every square mile of the forests, so the minute a fire starts, in comes the bombers, the choppers and hordes of fire fighters to put them out, maybe we should let a few fires burn until they go out, but if a cabin burns down, or someone gets hurt because of that fire, the law suits start to fly!!! It's a no win situation!

two-feet
04-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Good, interesting read. Thanks for posting.

04-05-2014, 08:09 PM
If you burn the meat it gives ya the -hits ........

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
04-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Thank you for posting this link. There is alot of enjoyable, qaulity information on Moose in general as well as the fire/Moose relationship which is an interesting topic in its own right.

This is a great link for anyone with an interest in Moose!