PDA

View Full Version : Skunk hunting tips

rides bike to work
04-02-2014, 08:46 PM
I've been realy interested in taking a skunk I think they are a very cool animal with a great reputation and I would like one full mounted as a conversation peice as well educational tool for the young ones.
So I've never seen one in the wild till today. I spot this guy going over a hump down a trail. So I check with my hunt buddy app and it turns out they close on march 31st so I had to let him walk.
My partner was like are you crazy that would be gross.

So I'm wondering

if I head shot it will it still spray any special instructions for skinning without getting stinky.

Any good recipes.

rides bike to work
04-02-2014, 08:49 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/2mmh9ao.jpg

tuffteddyb
04-02-2014, 09:04 PM
The one I have shot I have spined them and they didnt spray.
The couple I havent spined it was OMG!!!

Pete
04-03-2014, 02:35 PM
If you are going to mount him do not shoot him in the head, too tough to fix. Heart lung best..... do they spray? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't lol Fall winter/mount is best, they start shedding out in the spring.

Drillbit
04-03-2014, 03:27 PM
If you don't want it to spray, it'll spray for sure.

From the ones I've shot, it seems like the last thing they do before they die is spray just to say FU

Trapping them is the best in a plywood box trap and hook a shop-vac pipe up to the exhaust of the truck for 5 minutes. They never spray in the box and no bullet hole/damage.

VancouverSkiBum
04-03-2014, 10:39 PM
If you don't want it to spray, it'll spray for sure.

From the ones I've shot, it seems like the last thing they do before they die is spray just to say FU

Trapping them is the best in a plywood box trap and hook a shop-vac pipe up to the exhaust of the truck for 5 minutes. They never spray in the box and no bullet hole/damage.

thats disgusting.

Drillbit
04-03-2014, 11:37 PM
thats disgusting.

?CO poisoning? I can think of much worse ways to go.

I'll assume you've never had a skunk in your chicken coop.

Ringo 7MM
04-03-2014, 11:50 PM
If you are going to mount him do not shoot him in the head, too tough to fix. Heart lung best..... do they spray? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't lol Fall winter/mount is best, they start shedding out in the spring.

Never try and mount a skunk, you will get sprayed big time.....:-D

Pete
04-04-2014, 05:36 AM
?CO poisoning? I can think of much worse ways to go.

I'll assume you've never had a skunk in your chicken coop.

Well said... Co2 is very inhumain it burns their lungs and with the newer vehicles the converters remove the majority of the Co2