PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Coleman brand fuel and kerosene

redneckmedic
03-31-2014, 05:34 PM
Hey guys just wondering which is better, the Coleman brand fuel or just regular Kerosene? We are talking about using the different fuels in "White Gas" lantern and stoves. Also what's the difference because their is definitely a difference in cost.

stevo911_
03-31-2014, 06:26 PM
I don't have a ton of experience with kerosene in camp stoves (once was enough) but this sums up my experience and understanding of the two:

The Coleman fuel/white gas is Naptha (from my understanding its essentially highly refined gasoline), it's more volatile, evaporates quickly if you spill and burns clean (doesn't leave residue)

Kerosene isn't as volatile, it's odour clings to everything (clothes,packs,food). If you spill it you'll get a nice permanent, stinky, oily stain, and it makes you food and dishes sooty when you cook with it. It tends to clogs up the stove more readily too.

Ambush
03-31-2014, 06:28 PM
To start with, white gas and kerosene are two very different fuels.

I've never noticed a difference between brand name and "branded" white gas.

landphil
03-31-2014, 06:34 PM
These guys are right, if you fill a "white gas" (AKA naptha or camping fuel) stove or mantle style lantern with kerosene, it won't do anything useful until you drain it and flush all the kerosene out and fill with naptha.

And don't put naptha in a wick type kerosene lantern either.

Brand makes no difference.

M.Dean
03-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Kerosine is like Stove Oil, White Gas is Gasoline that's being refined about 5 times more that Gas, there's absolutely nothing the same about the two products. Do Not use White Gas in anything that's intended to burn Kerosine, it will Blow Up!!!

redneckmedic
03-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Ok thanks for the info guys. Some really good information

BEAVERBRUCE
03-31-2014, 10:20 PM
lead free gas burns fine in coleman stoves & lanterns way cheaper.

meesemoot
03-31-2014, 10:52 PM
lead free gas burns fine in coleman stoves & lanterns way cheaper.
I was under the impression that naptha had a much longer shelf life than auto gas.