PDA

View Full Version : Bear meat and a smoker ?

leadpillproductions
03-31-2014, 12:26 AM
Has any one used a smoker for bear meat ? Wounder how safe it it ?

Gateholio
03-31-2014, 02:16 AM
You need to get it to internal temperature of 160 degrees and hold it there for several minutes to kill any trich. How you do it is up to you.

03-31-2014, 07:55 AM
if its a Bradley you can just set it to cook like Gate has said...
If its a Cheif or the like id give it some oven time after the smoke.

mooze
03-31-2014, 07:56 AM
not recommended medically unless you precook or pre-freeze.
30% of black bears in BC are trichinella sp. positive.

emerson
03-31-2014, 11:26 AM
You need to get it to internal temperature of 160 degrees and hold it there for several minutes to kill any trich. How you do it is up to you.

if its a Bradley you can just set it to cook like Gate has said...
If its a Cheif or the like id give it some oven time after the smoke.
Yes, I use a Bradley and run it at 220 for a hour or 2, then lower. Ground the meat, used store bought jerky seasoning (used 1/2 the amount of seasoning they said for ground) and it turned out great. 1 lbs/rack rolled out between wax paper, then set on rack. Grind once to save time and help it hold together. I think I only used 2 hours of smoking, the rest drying, digital controls rule for the multi-tasker. Many people who tried it before knowing it was bear were surprised they liked it.

Foxton Gundogs
04-01-2014, 11:41 AM
I make smoked hams then bake them also 'bearcon' and fry that so I never wory about it.

Ron.C
04-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Nothing wrong with smoking your bear. Doesn't matter what kind of protein it is in the smoker. "fish, poultry,beef, pork, bear, elk......

Just make sure it has the appropriate level of cure used to safely bring the meat slowly through the dangerous low temp ranges where bacteria can grow and make sure the internal temp of the protein being processed hits its minimum safe consumption temp and you are good.

Unfortunately, lots of varying sources have some conflicting temp recommendations. This is a Canadian site with most every temp recommendation

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/eating-nutrition/safety-salubrite/cook-temperatures-cuisson-eng.php

eaglesnester
04-10-2014, 11:03 AM
You need to get it to internal temperature of 160 degrees and hold it there for several minutes to kill any trich. How you do it is up to you.170F to be safe for 30 min contact time. Go ahead and cold or hot smoke depending on what you like. After the smoking process or during insure internal temp of170 degrees F for a 30 min contact time during final cooking just before serving. 170 will ensure that all pathogenic organism are destroyed.

Gateholio
04-10-2014, 11:58 AM
170F to be safe for 30 min contact time. Go ahead and cold or hot smoke depending on what you like. After the smoking process or during insure internal temp of170 degrees F for a 30 min contact time during final cooking just before serving. 170 will ensure that all pathogenic organism are destroyed.

You can do that if you like, but it's not required to kill trichinosis in bear meat.

DLP
04-10-2014, 12:28 PM
i ruined my bear sausage by over smoking it...too dry and too smokey strong, learned my lesson

antileno
04-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Ive done lots of bear sausage that has turned out great, i usually get it to 165 internal or so before pulling to be on the safe side, never had a problem.

huff
04-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I read it is 5%...

keoke
04-12-2014, 02:05 PM
I made a bear ham last weekend in my Bradley and it turned out great.