PDA

View Full Version : Hanwag Trapper Top GTX first impressions

keoke
03-30-2014, 05:35 PM
I bought some new boots today and ended up with the trappers from Hanwag. I previously owned Asolo 520's for the last 7 years. The only reason I retired those boots are that my feet have flattened out and went from an 11 to a 12. The trappers are a tall stiff boot but they are only slightly stiffer than the asolos off the self at the store. The fit of these boots is fantastic for me. I have a narrow heel and a wide foot and they hug my foot in all the right places. I tried on lots of other brands and found Hanwag to be the best. The worst fitting boots for me were the Elk tracker, I could not get my heel to stay down in those boots, another weird boot for me was the Scarpa kinesis pro. It seemed that the "ball" of the sole of the scarpa was in front of my own and I had to put effort in rolling the boot heal to toe. Going to be wearing the trapper around the house for a few day and if I still feel the way I do Ill have to get outside and start breaking them in.

http://www.schuh-keller.de/images/product_images/original_images/005469_1.JPG

Rattler
03-30-2014, 07:48 PM
I have the same boots and after two years they are going strong. These boots have fit very well right from day one with next to no break in period. The heel rolls better than my Meindle Canada Pro and my feet stay dry all day long in the pouring rain/snow. They also breathe better than the Meindle.

Highly recommend these boots.

The Hermit
03-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Where did you get them? I'm in Victoria and have looked at som many boots in the past few days my feet are confused! How much?

Rattler
03-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Bought mine in Edmonton at TracknTrail: http://www.trackntrail.ca/Hanwag/

Buy in Canada to avoid $$$ import duty.

kayjayess
03-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Yes I am a Hanwag fan. I am on my second pair. I have used the Hanwag Alaska on two separate 14 day sheep hunts and they have held up really well. They are still going strong having used them through out the season for other hunts as well. Last year I upgraded to the Trapper as I wanted a higher boot for crossing streams and rough terrain. I only used them last year on my Dall Sheep hunt and I was happy with them. My first pair was purchased at Monod Sports in Banff. My last set is from Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
03-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Just got a pair of Han wags for my birthday ,my wife got me the omega gtx a little warmer for late season hiking and work well with crampons.

I'm size 11 normally but with the Han wags size 10 , anyone else go down a size?

RiverRunner
03-31-2014, 02:22 PM
The Valhalla Pure chain of outdoor outfitters carries the HanWag line of boots.
I know for sure the Abbotsford location does...

The Hermit
03-31-2014, 02:44 PM
I checked VPO and they don't have them in the Victoria/Langford store... errr.

DR.DOUG
03-31-2014, 08:02 PM
I checked VPO and they don't have them in the Victoria/Langford store... errr.[/QUOTE]

Island outfitters carries Han Wag in Vic.

The Hermit
04-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Get out of town really, I'll be darned! I'll go check them out tomorrow! Thanks

Ringo 7MM
04-07-2014, 08:56 PM
forget it john they are to exspensive

craigo
04-12-2014, 06:24 AM
Just got a pair of Han wags for my birthday ,my wife got me the omega gtx a little warmer for late season hiking and work well with crampons.

I'm size 11 normally but with the Han wags size 10 , anyone else go down a size?

Same thing as you. Had to go down a size. Wear an 11 shoe and wear a 10 HanWag.
Sure do like them. Lacing system works good, solid heel and factory liners work good for me. I have flat feet.
They are a little hard to find so you don't hear a lot about them it seems like. Like them side hilling, for me they excel there.
Down fall is slippery on wet rocks. Had a hell of a spill cause of that. They are a little heavier than some high end boots.
More than likely will buy another pair. We'll see in 5 years or so....