PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii fishing charters

Darksith
03-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Anyone ever gone out on a charter in Hawaii? I will be on the big island and then maui in May, and I'm always looking for some advice from actual experiences rather than winging it.

saltybuck
03-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Went with Lucky Strike fishing charters out of Lahaina, Maui a few years back with Tad Luckey the owner. Nice boat and nice guy. Use to commercial fish up in Alaska. We hooked into 3 marlin, but in the end didn't land any. Pretty exciting though when you strap into the chair and that big ole Penn is just a screaming!! Good Luck!!

BCBRAD
03-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Been with Kona Spirit a few times and Bite Me once. Kona Spirit is owner operated and has a very user friendly boat ( he tries hard to get you on fish), that's who I would recommend of the two. There at the small boat harbour couple miles south of Kona airport.

http://www.konaspirit.com/

http://www.honokohauharbor.com/

Phila
03-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Went out with John Bagwell of Silky Sportfishing Charters, Kona HI, in January of this year. John is the owner.

Recommend John, as capable, knowledgeable. Boat is well maintained, a 55 foot Viking. Caught mahi mahi on a 1/2 day charter. Rates are in line with the market.

Best to phone him.

Good luck!

redthorn
03-30-2014, 08:50 PM
SPEARFISH MAUI !!!!!

if you are illiterate or like pictures, check the link.

http://spearfishmaui.com/spearfish-maui-spearfishing-gallery.html

I know nothing about offshore fishing, but this was the best time and money I spent in Hawaii. I went out with the owner, Jeremy, and it was a riot. Missed a bunch of fish, got a few. Saw barracuda, rockfish, frogfish, turtles (dont shoot!) , invasive Peacock Grouper (Roi - shoot on site...) Only went out towards the end of our stay, otherwise I would have spent more dollars with them.

Go at the beginning of your stay. The short training session at the beginning will teach you way better ways of breathholding and increase your freedive capabilities by far. Which makes the rest of your time out snorkelling that much more exciting.

redthorn
03-30-2014, 08:52 PM
^^^It's like hunting, but for fish. You spot them, swim down to the reef and try to sneak over and get a shot off before they move. So much fun. ^^^

Darksith
03-30-2014, 10:49 PM
I know all about spear fishing, I am a big snorkeler and a huge scuba diver...that being said I never really thought about doing it in Hawaii...might have to think about that 1. Definitely want to still do the fishing as a fellow traveller is super stoked about it as well.

Thanks guys

I would go hunting for sheep in Hawaii, but I think the wife would pretty much want to kill me if I did that on this 1

MB_Boy
03-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Hey Darksith.....a good buddy of mine fishes off the Big Island MANY times a year. Have another friend headed that way this week and this is an excerpt from the email he had sent me to forward to the other buddy.

· Right now…..”epic moon cycle”. This is GOOD for fishing over there.
· With the info I lay out below contact the Captain’s directly via their cell’s as you will get a better rate.
· “Fishing off the big Island is the best as you are right in the fishing grounds a few minutes out of the harbour”.
· He’s fished with Chip many a time and a few times with Kevin noted below.
· Both guys noted below are pros, fishing is awesome and cheap compared to anywhere else in the world.

He has recommended the following.

· Chip Van Mols – cell phone is 808-960-5954
o He is apparently a VERY good fisherman and LOVES to fish! He has taken Brian out well beyond the length of the charter paid for.
o www.konagrander.com (http://www.konagrander.com/)
o His “new boat” is not on the website yet but is apparently is a beautiful 40’ Game Fisherman. My friend knows his boats so I trust him on this. (he owns 3 boats of his own!)

· Kevin Hibbard – cell phone is 808-987-0781
o I quote “Kevin is a total dude”…haha.
o www.jrshookersportfishing.com (http://www.jrshookersportfishing.com/) (I had to laugh at the name of the company)
o Kevin’s boat is a 42’ Blackwatch which is apparently another outstanding boat.

brno375
04-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Anyone ever gone out on a charter in Hawaii? I will be on the big island and then maui in May, and I'm always looking for some advice from actual experiences rather than winging it.

I believe May is the month that the Marlin tournament is held on the Big Island. A charter there in December 0f 2011 varied between $400-$1000 for a full day depending on boat & captain. Big names are Kerwin Matsunaga, Chip Van Mols, Marlin or Randy Parker, Boyd Decoito, among others. Phone the charter desk at the Kona Marina and tell them what you are looking for, and they will give you some suggestions. To fish South Point is an overnight trip iirc, and don't expect that you get to keep your fish...I used Bill Murtaugh of Big Game Sport Fishing to take the family out and had a good time.

dime
04-03-2014, 10:42 PM
I went fishing the last two times I was in Maui, fished out of Maalea harbour for bottom fish with Maui Fun Charters. Pretty good deal, only about $150 USD per person. Went with my buddy, and we caught quite a few fish (which you can take home, unlike many other charter operations who sell your fish to hotels for a huge profit) and had enough to feed the family for a couple of days. Check out the website: http://www.mauifuncharters.com/

jamievan
04-04-2014, 03:45 PM
+1 for Marlin Parker, check out his webpage.

Darksith
05-12-2014, 10:13 PM
went out with Chip today...hooked a 200lb blue marlin that we tagged and released. I would recommend him for sure. He doesn't fish for commercial purposes, and only keeps fish in the 1000+ category.

Off to Maui wednesday where I will be going spear fishing

Darksith
05-14-2014, 07:08 PM
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1558396_705888126116969_7767345178676726515_n.jpg

redthorn
05-14-2014, 08:32 PM
I thought you were spearfishing today? You go out with Jeremy at Spearfish Maui or some other guy?

I just got my speargun and some good long riffe fins and a good mask and snorkel on the weekend. Hope to head out with my Brother off the coast of Vancouver island in a few weeks.

MB_Boy
05-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Awesome Darksith!! Glad things worked out for you with Chip.

I went off Kauai a few years with a guide who didn't really give a sh*t....and the boat was far from enjoyable. Glad you had a good experience and my intel helped!

whitespringer
05-15-2014, 06:33 AM

Went twice. One deep sea, one for bottom fish. Both disappointing. Guides have a sense of entitlement. The one guy showed up a hour late, hung over. Save your money.

MB_Boy
05-15-2014, 06:42 AM
Went twice. One deep sea, one for bottom fish. Both disappointing. Guides have a sense of entitlement. The one guy showed up a hour late, hung over. Save your money.

Pssssst....read page 2. You should have warned him earlier not to go out on a nice boat with a good guide and catch a 200 lb blue marlin, then take a photo of him smiling with it. :wink: :tongue::mrgreen:

Darksith
05-15-2014, 11:10 AM
I thought you were spearfishing today? You go out with Jeremy at Spearfish Maui or some other guy?

I just got my speargun and some good long riffe fins and a good mask and snorkel on the weekend. Hope to head out with my Brother off the coast of Vancouver island in a few weeks.
spearfishing this week some time. Probably sunday.

I would totally recommend Chip to anyone else, great boat, nice guy. We were on our way to go catch dinner (skip jack tuna) when we hooked into the marlin. Was last 2 hours of the day. Patience paid off, and Chip wasn't gonna send us home without catching something. They were rigging up the light tackle when we got him.