PDA

View Full Version : A good winter??

HarryToolips
03-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Figured I would state some positives that I've observed the last few weeks: while hiking around in deer wintering-range areas that I normally hike around every winter/spring, I noticed the whitetail still seem to be doing well where I've always seen them in the past, so obviously the doe season isn't hurting them that bad, and in traditional muley areas where I always go, the MD seem to be doing very well..hell this morning I counted 20 something without even trying or hiking too long..so obviously where I am the month long 'any buck' season is going OK..what are you all noticing in your areas?? Another positive: I've been told by several sources that elk are showing up in small pockets around the Okanagan/Thompson in new areas, so obviously they are expanding their range..would it hurt to open up a 6 point bull elk season in some areas of the Thompson as well?? The Ministry of Environment must be doing a good job in some ways I guess..

GoatGuy
03-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Behind the house last week. Couldn't get them all in the pic, about 60 in the bunch hitting the first flush. There were 3 bunches, over 100 mulw deer.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_17554.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_17562.JPG

Didn't look for wt's, but I'm sure there was a bunch of them running around.

HarryToolips
03-30-2014, 01:42 PM
Right on GG, this in the Okanagan area??

Stone Sheep Steve
03-30-2014, 02:07 PM
With limited early green right now, it's a really good time to spot deer.
Hopefully, the Antler Saddle deer are enjoying the new green in peace:).

SSS

two-feet
03-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Smithers area had at worst an average winter for the herds but I am not seeing the number of deer that I usually do. The moose sign that I see on my wanders seems to be lots of cow/calf pairs so hopefully most of the little ones survive into the spring. Going out for a rip this afternoon and will bring the camera.