PDA

View Full Version : new sonar (fishfinder )

srupp
03-28-2014, 02:00 PM
looking at getting a new sonar unit for my boat 12 foot cartopper..

looking at the Lowrance Elite 7x with chirp technology..

so the x means no GPS ..
it has the downscan 3 d imaging and the traditional 2 d color scan..

the transducer uses the new "chirp " technology and I will get a 85/200 kHz slection..

These units are just coming out now...

which stores..in Canada and USA would be the first to receive these units ?

I bought a sonar unit a while back and it came out of the USA...no problems with warranties having it in Canada ?

99% of my fishing is small lakes...use the sonar for depth and structure....."the lay of the laqnd beneath the boat..

any suggestions?? be nice now..lol

cheers

Srupp

Ringo 7MM
03-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Chirp technology, is this a fish finder, or a bird finder..........:mrgreen:

srupp
03-28-2014, 02:20 PM
hmmm ya had to expect that LOL...

Airmar technology....was $$$$$$ however the basic Lowrance skimmer works well also..

Steven

Ringo 7MM
03-28-2014, 02:26 PM
I couldn't resist a little humor on hearing Chirp tech. first time I heard of it.

srupp
03-28-2014, 03:29 PM
couple of tech guys were chatting with me that this was coming out and the advantages of the technology..last couple years its been the down scan imaging ..= crystal clear structure and bottom along with 2d "normal " sonar images..

Now this "chirp" actually sends a variety of bandwidth signals to better define targets, structure, fish..etc..this was really high end stuff that in past would require an extra $2500 special AIRMAR transducer system..typically found on high end million dollar sports fishing yaughts.
Then it was discovered that these CHIRP signals worked flawlessly in the dual signal skimmer type transducers exceptionally well also...so Lowrancfe , Raymarine Furuno, garman and lowrance also now are bringing these out..

google Lowrance ELITE 7X CHIRP..and check it out..

cheers

SRUPP

SAVAGE300
03-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Holy wow..... you almost need wings to stay above the new tech stuff these days, I am also upgrading, was looking at the elite 5x HDI whitch I havent even seen yet, havent the room on my dash for the 7. Chirp is the way to go for the best target seperation, if most of your fishing is in fresh water you will do just fine with the 83/200 and downscan ducer. I fish salt so I should go with the 50/200. the thing I like mostly is that they have the capabilities to overlay the data from downscan to the regular screen. lowrance makes a great product and from what I here the service is much better than it used to be. You have made a good choice if you go this route for the money..... I think I will wait til next year when they come out with a unit that will tell you what kind of fish and exactly how big and weather or not you can keep it, LOF. Im going for the ELITE 5X HDI with CHIRP when it gets here. Also have look at west marines pricing

warnniklz
03-30-2014, 10:42 AM
Only problem with lowrance is when it comes to getting another transducer. Trying to decipher which transducer you need for which unit can be a difficult task.

Not familiar with the chirp technology. But I'm interested now

srupp
03-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Since I will be in Seattle, and Atlanta Georgia, then Fort Lauderdale, then England, then Iceland I will keep my eyes peeled for a lowrance Elite 7xHdmi with chirp...then custom rig a LSA..thats 12 volts and 12 amp ..the unit uses 1.1 amps per hour..and get a suction base for the transducer.and make a base and get a nylong bag made for the portable system.

Cheers

Steven

srupp
03-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Warren..take the 5 in elite hdi..with chirp..the transducer will need to be double duty...for only ..mainly fresh water I select the 85...200khz sonthe unit will read to 1000 feet in regular 2d sonar..the3d downscan is good for 300 foot depth...and the variable chirpnfine tunes it with varying frequencies of selection..all in one transducer...for mainly deeper water..go with th 50...200transducer

Steven