PDA

View Full Version : Hanwag Men's Banks GTX - opinions?

MB_Boy
03-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Hey Guys,

I found these boots on sale at a killer price and know the brand name has been bounced around on here for years.

http://www.hanwag.com/banks-gtxr#details

Just curious if anyone has an opinion on these boots? They are NOT intended as a crazy serious mountaineering boot, going to be used more for spring, summer, fall hiking, nothing crazy intense. May have a few 2-3 day backpacking trips but largely just day hikes in moderate terrain (generally mountain trails) around southwest BC or up in Wells Grey. NOT Stone Sheep country! :wink: Also let me preface I am 6'3" and about 200lbs.

I guess my questions lie around a couple of things that I am hoping the pros on here can speak to.

Given the "type" of use they are going to be would you be concerned with the cordura in the upper or would you push towards a pure leather upper? I am just thinking it may breath a bit better for summer hiking but would you find a notable compromise or downfall?

In the boot description the sole is described as having "plenty of flex". Would you be concerned about this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, opinions or other concerns I hadn't thought of?

http://c4.clymb.us/production/master_assets/173969/front-2d75d7-original.jpg

Steelwheels
03-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Sons birthday.. Where and how...$$

MB_Boy
03-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Sons birthday.. Where and how...$$

PM en route.

BearStump
03-28-2014, 09:35 AM
they look decent. for me the price would dictate alot with that boot. I'd look into that sole that 'flexes alot'. I had a day 2 years ago ,I went up the mtn to my bear spot. it was fricken hot and I decided that it was a shorts and t shirt day. I also wore my nike 3/4 cut basketball shoes for more comfort on the hot day. Holy crap, was that a mistake! those shoes are not meant for the sidehills and uneven terrain that tne mtn had to offer. and although they made it tbrough the day fine, my ankles and arches were sore for 5 days afte that. Thats when I realized the importance of the rigid boots with a shank for that type of use.

MB_Boy
03-28-2014, 09:44 AM
I hear ya Bearstump. For some of these easier "day hikes" I just bought a pair of North Face lower cut "hiking shoes"; I do a fair bit of trail running as well so don't mind the lower cut. In saying that though....I have been looking for a few years for some new higher cut for some more support for a lot of the "alpine" hikes between here and Whistler/Pemberton as well as our usual treks in Wells Grey during the summer.

My big thing....is I think anything is going to be a notable improvement over what I have been wearing. My really good hiking boots died a few years back and I have just been lazy in getting a new pair getting by with what I have.

The price is a BIG reason and I know the name has been bounced around on here for MANY years and I think spoken of relatively favourably. These are regular $240 USD on for 50% off.