PDA

View Full Version : Black bear q's?

ducktoller
03-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Heading up for first blackies soon, gonna scout in April and start actively hunting towards end of april/early may. Not super keen on truck hunting so will use my feet.

Am I missing anything other than: Stick closer to where snow line has gone up, find fresh grass/plant growth/berries, or scat, and that is where the bears are.

Will be up sea to sky country, probably parking off a block near Chance creek FSR area and hiking in from there. Will be using a Savage 110/10 270win.

I don;t expect honey holes, but any other tips would help. Not planning on baiting, and don't think I am brave enough for calling in a bear with a predator call yet.

Fella
03-27-2014, 05:30 PM
You aren't allowed to bait bears. Look for clover and grass or skunk cabbage.

mattmcgiver
03-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Are you from the area? I just got licence and tags. Hoping to get oot and aboot

Chopper
03-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Ya ... no bait in B.C

And ... Road hunting in the most productive for Black bears , unless you have a spot. I wouldn't even hunt the afternoon. First couple hours in the morning and last couple hours or so before dark.

My first year I started hunting Black Bears , it was a real eye opener on how hard it was to get a poke at a good shooter bear early in the season

ru rancher
03-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Ya ... no bait in B.C

And ... Road hunting in the most productive for Black bears , unless you have a spot. I wouldn't even hunt the afternoon. First couple hours in the morning and last couple hours or so before dark.

My first year I started hunting Black Bears , it was a real eye opener on how hard it was to get a poke at a good shooter bear early in the season
i wouldnt hunt the mornings ever i go out at about 3 and maybe would see a bear then but ushually just the 2 hours before dark that youll see them

HarryToolips
03-27-2014, 06:26 PM
No offense, but make sure you thoroughly read the regs before you hunt: cause like everyone says, baiting bears in BC ain't allowed.. sounds like you have a good plan, except I doubt any berries will be ready this early into the season...old de-activated roads/powerlines with lots of dandilions, bears love em..find the scat, which will be very grassy, and hunt those areas..

Pioneerman
03-27-2014, 06:28 PM
I would use your truck glass the hill sides then start your stock, might save you ten miles for nothing. I never hunt bears first thing, I rarely go out before 10 am. They are not as nervous as deer and can be seen all day long feeding on sunny slopes, good luck

r106
03-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Road hunting is a great way for hunting bears. Hunting roads, powerlines and pipelines are very productive for black bears because the get the most sun through out early spring and melt off quicker and green up quicker. All my success for bears have been in the afternoon. If it's not hot out in the afternoon I would be out there looking around 1pm if it's hot they will stay in the thick shit till it starts to cool off.

I find Black Bears a lot like fat lazy people, they don't like to get up early, don't like it if it's to hot and will spend all there time sleeping or looking for food

Wild one
03-27-2014, 06:47 PM
It all depends on the area you hunt but in good black bear areas that see little pressure it is worth hunting all day. If the area is under pressure I only hunt the last few hours of light.

Hunting bears on foot has advantages over road hunting them. Areas like winter roads, washed out roads where grass now grows on them, meadows near water, and anywhere with good feed you can't drive up to with a truck. You don't need to make long hikes just out of sight of travelled roads.

Just find a spot with good feed and sign and sit back a glass. Sometimes I have multiple spots picked out to hunt and jump between them throughout the day. Just play the wind because they have a good nose. If you find a nice bear in a good feeding area they will be back.

Seen way more big bears on foot than I have from a truck. But you will see a higher number of bears in the day road hunting at times. Bears are also less likely to run when you spot them on foot.

ducktoller
03-27-2014, 07:06 PM
I would use your truck glass the hill sides then start your stock, might save you ten miles for nothing. I never hunt bears first thing, I rarely go out before 10 am. They are not as nervous as deer and can be seen all day long feeding on sunny slopes, good luck

Sounds like most hunters in greater Vancouver, heyooo

No offense, but make sure you thoroughly read the regs before you hunt: cause like everyone says, baiting bears in BC ain't allowed.. sounds like you have a good plan, except I doubt any berries will be ready this early into the season...old de-activated roads/powerlines with lots of dandilions, bears love em..find the scat, which will be very grassy, and hunt those areas..

None taken, I'll be glad to hang near dandelions, since I was planning to make jam anyways.

Ya ... no bait in B.C

My first trips I'll be doing some hikes while looking for sign, if I find good spots i can stalk those closer to end of april, or just cruise around and glass from bed of my truck with a nice coffee.

If I should avoid afternoon I may have to sneak up for some end of season skiing midday hah.

Fisher-Dude
03-27-2014, 09:20 PM
I've seen lots of bears on stinking hot days, mid-afternoon. When the belly is growling, they move and eat all day.

As mentioned above, the last couple of hours before dark is good, but be prepared to retrieve one in the dark. Carry the right equipment always.

Chopper
03-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Road hunting is a great way for hunting bears. Hunting roads, powerlines and pipelines are very productive for black bears because the get the most sun through out early spring and melt off quicker and green up quicker. All my success for bears have been in the afternoon. If it's not hot out in the afternoon I would be out there looking around 1pm if it's hot they will stay in the thick shit till it starts to cool off.

I find Black Bears a lot like fat lazy people, they don't like to get up early, don't like it if it's to hot and will spend all there time sleeping or looking for food

I guess I forgot to mention if its miserable out the afternoons could be good. Hot weather I wont waste my time

Ozone
03-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Always shoot them on the uphill side of the road.

Chopper
03-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Always shoot them on the uphill side of the road.

lol ......

deer nut
03-27-2014, 10:36 PM
There's grizz in them hills too, just so you're aware....

Chopper
03-27-2014, 10:44 PM
I almost forgot ... You will need this

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/pilot2001/deertalk_zpsf6431a88.png (http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/pilot2001/media/deertalk_zpsf6431a88.png.html)

The Deer Talk calls will stop a running Black Bear in its tracks and it will come right back to you... More that %90 of the time. Its pretty much a sure thing. Wail on it as hard as you can ... I hunt with one of these in my mouth ... always ....

They can sometimes be hard to find , but they are commonly at whole sale sports ... They are where its at. Black Tail that takes off on you during the rut will run at you when you wail on it as well

I love these things !

Mr. Dean
03-27-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm of the camp, no hunting before 10 and quit before 2.
Then I spend the rest of my time looking for new areas nearby.

Keep tabs on the poo.
It'll tell ya who is there and when they left, and which way it went.

Big turds.
Fresh turds
And new ones daily.

= A Good Spot.

Until the new shit stops. :wink:

Have fun!

NorBC
03-27-2014, 11:41 PM
All good advice. I guess it depends on the spot, but up here if your heading to work for 6am you can see 20+ bears no problem. Not all shooters and boars of course but I wouldn't rule out first light. But it's true what they say the big lazy guys will get up and feed when they feel like it. The smaller ones will be diggin in before they come along. Early bird gets the worm!

andrewscag
03-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Consider using your mtn bike too if you have one. Good compromise between covering ground and being quiet

Amphibious
03-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Afternoons
South Facing Slopes
Grass/Skunk Cabbage/Dandelions
Play the wind, bears have amazing noses.

I prefer to walk, every rednecktard is blasting around the roads once the bears start showing themselves. Often a few 100m off the main drag you'll find a grassy patch loaded with sign. If you find a honey hole, Put a stick in every track/turd you find, come back the next day and see what's new. Bears are very easy to stalk if you have the wind right. Take your time, if the bear is feeding and unaware, you have all the time in the world to make a perfect shot.

sawmill
03-28-2014, 12:36 PM
95% of my bears have been shot in late afternoon/early evening.2 Grizz and 28 blacks.All of then down low in late April to mid May and all of them in lowland greenery.Skunk cabbages in creek bottoms and fresh green grass on south hillsides.They are like teenagers,sleep till 2 and eat all night.

markomoose
03-28-2014, 07:41 PM
I always hunt the afternoon for blackies.They seem to be more mobile in the aft/eve.I've gotten more picky lately going after the mature boars.Big heads Big bodies.As Sawmill said south hillsides are deadly!Bears up here in P.G. don't really get going till first week of May.

BearSupreme
03-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Ive got bears first thing in the morning, saw a bruiser last year at about 8:30am in late may, but most of the bears I see are after 5pm. I got a nice big cinnamon black bear at 7pm last year on june 22nd, 19 7/16th skull. Got a nice cinnamon the year before at the same time, on the 17th of june. Lots of bears walking around in the kootenays where I hunt in June. Not the best temps to hang a bear, but im working on a cooler :). Bears are the only animal I will hunt all day, but they definitely have their active times first thing in the morning and especially later in the day. Best of luck!

s0ylentgreen
03-28-2014, 09:16 PM
the last few posts in this thread have been the most helpful ive seen in awhile

kudos to you sirs!!

MRP
03-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Dandelions on a sunny hill side. Every year it's the place I see my first bear a round PG.

bigredchev
03-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Afternoons
South Facing Slopes
Grass/Skunk Cabbage/Dandelions
Play the wind, bears have amazing noses.

I prefer to walk, every rednecktard is blasting around the roads once the bears start showing themselves. Often a few 100m off the main drag you'll find a grassy patch loaded with sign. If you find a honey hole, Put a stick in every track/turd you find, come back the next day and see what's new. Bears are very easy to stalk if you have the wind right. Take your time, if the bear is feeding and unaware, you have all the time in the world to make a perfect shot.

that's black bear in a nutshell. I like that stick idea more than writing my name in it.

Mr. Dean
03-29-2014, 02:19 PM
that's black bear in a nutshell. I like that stick idea more than writing my name in it.

I usually just give it a kick, spreading it out a bit.
I'm too lazy to bend over and plant a twig or pebble on/in it.

moosinaround
03-29-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm of the camp, no hunting before 10 and quit before 2.
Then I spend the rest of my time looking for new areas nearby.

Keep tabs on the poo.
It'll tell ya who is there and when they left, and which way it went.

Big turds.
Fresh turds
And new ones daily.

= A Good Spot.

Until the new shit stops. :wink:

Have fun!
I was gonna say the same thing. Poo is a good indication a bear is around! Probably the best indication other than seeing it with your own eyes. Hunt all day, ya its more productive mornings and evenings, but they don't disappear the rest of the day, they are around. Good hunting! Moosin

moosinaround
03-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Dandelions on a sunny hill side. Every year it's the place I see my first bear a round PG.
Not between the sawmill and pulpmill??

MRP
03-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Not between the sawmill and pulpmill??
Sometimes.🐻 Or the baseball diamond over the tracks. 🚂

Stone Sheep Steve
03-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Afternoon/evening is usually the best(as other have said)...but later in the season when the temps really climb, we have had success early in the day.
Make sure sure you inspect every puddle you cross...and check for tracks.

ducktoller
03-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Thanks again for all the tips.

Another question I had, re saving pelts. I know freezing is best, but when not near a freezer to salt it.

It'd be a two hour drive home plus a few hours cleaning and hiking the beast. Should I bother salting or just wait till home to freeze it.

I would have a few big coolers
Full of ice in the truck, and gas stations20m from the area

bc_buckshot
03-30-2014, 10:55 PM
Two hours isnt gonna ruin it unless you have it in the baking sun. Ive shot a bear left the hide and taken it off in the bush and came home later that day and its fine. If your worried and near a river or creek skin the hide off and put it in the creek or river but make surs it doesnt float away. By keepinf it wet ad cool you also wont have to worry about flys laying eggs. If its a day trip dont worry at all just when your home wash all the blood off, hang a bit to dry then roll it up nice. Make sure you roll it skin on skin and hair on the outside.

If your gonna be couple days in the bush in warm water then yeah i would say salt it and dont be shy on the salt

sawmill
03-31-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks again for all the tips.

Another question I had, re saving pelts. I know freezing is best, but when not near a freezer to salt it.

It'd be a two hour drive home plus a few hours cleaning and hiking the beast. Should I bother salting or just wait till home to freeze it.

I would have a few big coolers
Full of ice in the truck, and gas stations20m from the area

You can`t do both though.Salt will keep it from freezing hard,the hair will slip if you stick it in the freezer for long.