PDA

View Full Version : sea otters off sooke

ratherbefishin
03-26-2014, 07:22 AM
we were out yesterday off Sooke and saw one sea otter,it was unmistakable, lying on its back in the water then along Gordons beach a group of three,possably four more .Nice to see them repopulating the coast after coming so close to extinction.Its only the second time we've seen them off Sooke,we thought we saw one several months ago,but this was a definite sighting,no mistaking it for a river otter which are quite common

Fella
03-26-2014, 07:25 AM
Yep they're good at keeping the urchins under control which equals healthier kelp forests which means better habitat for fish!

fishingguy44
03-26-2014, 07:33 AM
People are seeing whales all the time now, Sea otters, biggest sockeye run ever. We may just be doing something right finally. Long way to go though

dakoda62
03-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Used to see them quite frequently off Otter point when I lived in Sooke. Glad the're making a come back

Jagermeister
03-26-2014, 02:27 PM
I saw some at the park at Port renfrew back in the mid 80s along with a large whale. I think it was a gray whale, it had the small dorsal fin. Reported it to UVIC and the science person said not possible until we produced some video that we had taken.