PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work at a cedar mill?

Ian F.
02-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Looking for a wood source for decoys.

Not after "free" wood, but am hoping to find access to a "shorts" pile with an adjusted price.

If you could help it'd be greatly appreciated,

Very best,

Ian

PM or email irfeir@shaw.ca

3kills
02-19-2007, 09:27 PM
try gettin ahold of kirk custom sawmilling here in merritt i will see if i can dig up a number or if i can even get ahold of them they might have something kickin around.....

mntman
02-19-2007, 09:29 PM
there's a mill at 98th & 192nd that may have some

Orangethunder
02-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Go to a cull pile up your local logging road, you will be amazed at what gets tossed. I know that here in the interior you could get a lifetime supply out of one or two piles. Happy hunting.:lol:

sealevel
02-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Ian just a ? have you tried carving western red cedar its a lot different wood than the eastern cedar. I carve as a hobby and western red cedar i think is the nastyest wood there is to carve. Yellow cedar( cyprus) is imo the best local wood to carve.

Soup
02-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I work on a dryland sort and could get an endless supply of either red or yellow cedar, albeit in log or slab form. There is a few first nation carvers that come and select pieces for carving, they always choose red cedar, but it is also more plentiful. The price can't be beat either, it's free.:)

Ian F.
02-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the replies, and the help in my search.

Sealevel, only one bird so far from red and do wish to try the yellow as well. I brought a bunch of eastern white with me, but it will only last so long. I power carve and with dust collection, different set of issues then hand carving. Is decoys your affliction too?

Orange, is scavenging the cull pile legal? In other places I've lived that's considered wood theft.

Soup, PM sent..

Very best,

Ian

sealevel
02-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I like carving loons but mostly human figurines and boots

Orangethunder
02-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, and the help in my search.

Sealevel, only one bird so far from red and do wish to try the yellow as well. I brought a bunch of eastern white with me, but it will only last so long. I power carve and with dust collection, different set of issues then hand carving. Is decoys your affliction too?

Orange, is scavenging the cull pile legal? In other places I've lived that's considered wood theft.

Soup, PM sent..

Very best,

Ian

I dont think anyone would blink at you taking a few pieces for carving. You could always check with the local MOF&R office. As far as I am concerned, if they can burn it then someone should be able to use it. Now if you started cutting lumber and selling it...:roll:

Byson
02-21-2007, 12:55 AM
I can help red or yellow cedar I have a Sawmill and a Dry Kiln in Squamish