PDA

View Full Version : G5 bows

Bear_Down
03-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Just bought a G5 bow. Very smooth draw nice transfer through the valley to full draw. Quiet . Any one else shooting G5. Any other thoughts.pro.s vs cons.?

RoscoeP
03-25-2014, 01:37 PM
I have been thinking about it, what model is it and how about a picture. Cheers

Bear_Down
03-26-2014, 01:12 AM
4784G5 Quest Rogue. I found it was smoother than the pse diamonds bow tech and mathews of the same price range.I will get some better pics and add them soon.

Ranger95
04-10-2014, 08:51 PM
The problem that I've seen on a whole bunch of G5's is the cables coming into contact with the fletching during the shot. It's a lot more apparent on bows like the drive, with their "i-glide" system, but I have seen it on the rogue too. We've tried changing cable lengths/changing to brand new cables, altering cam lean and other stupid things with the cable slide, but no of it seems to fix the problem. G5 also wasn't very helpful when we called/emailed them. HOWEVER, this is just a couple of specific cases, and once you swap out the HALO rest, the bows are awesome! They have one of the most solid back walls on the market and the draw isn't bad either.

The Hermit
04-12-2014, 06:28 AM
Just ordered a G5 Prime Defy... will review after getting it all set up... will have a demo Limbsaver Proton available shortly. ;-)

donny.brooke
04-12-2014, 08:08 AM
The twin cam bows are great just difficult to setup with all the extra strings and connectors to deal with.

Bear_Down
04-14-2014, 09:42 PM
I have been shooting my rogue for a month now and it is consistent 10 ring at 20 yards and a solid 8 at 30. Levels effortlessly. I have not found any defects with my G5.

The Hermit
05-17-2014, 08:22 PM
So I now have my new Prime Defy all set up and it is really sweet! Its a 60lb draw weight, 28" draw length, right hand in the Optifade Forest camo. I decked it out with; a Tight Spot quiver, a Spot Hogg Hunter sight, a Code Red fully contained fall away rest, Limbsaver 4.5" S-Coil stabalizer, G5 Ti 1/4" peep, and a Leupold Vendetta.

I like to try new stuff, especially gear that I sell. I have tried a number of rests and this one seems to do the job very well but I must admit that I prefer the Whisker Biscuit Pro... it is so simple and secure and light its just hard to beat. I'll probably go back to one after bear season.

I really really like the Spot Hogg Hunter. It is a bullet proof thing of beauty and is highly adjustable! I haven't sighted it in past 20 yards yet but not anticipating any issues. The only small compromise I see is that the level is a tad small and therefore not as easy to see as the Axcel Vision Pro I have on the Limbsaver Proton... I really like that sight too!! :-)

The bow has a remarkably solid wall, and the valley isn't too jumpy at all. The bow is really well balanced and the draw cycle has an 80% let off. I can hold this bow on target better than any other bow I've shot so far, which Im sure is due to how firm the wall is. The bow itself is very quiet but I have a noise issue with the Vendetta that I'm not sure how to cure, suggestions welcome.

I'm shooting Gold Tip Pro Hunters set up at 517 grains. I haven't put the chrony on them yet but guess that they are zipping along around 275 FPS. Going to try G5's T3 expandables this season... I like the way they fly and they sure are tough for an expandable... whacked one into a solid core door and the only issue was one of the little spider rings bent slightly. I was surprised as I expected it to break those thin little blades but it opened and stood the test... these broadheads are way sharper than I've ever been able to make the steel Montec. And they cut a 1 1/2" hole compared to the 7/8" the Montec makes. G-Bear here I come!

Sitkaspruce
05-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Bill

Sounds like a nice set up!! I looked at the SH Hunter and just because the level was much smaller than the the MBG, I went with the MBG. But really like the SH as well.

One question, I am curious as to how you can get 275 fps with 60 lbs, 28" and 517 gr arrows?? I am getting 270 with 60 lbs, 406 gr arrows and 29.5 DL. If there is a secret, please let me know....:wink:

Cheers

SS

StoneChaser
05-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Bill

Sounds like a nice set up!! I looked at the SH Hunter and just because the level was much smaller than the the MBG, I went with the MBG. But really like the SH as well.

One question, I am curious as to how you can get 275 fps with 60 lbs, 28" and 517 gr arrows?? I am getting 270 with 60 lbs, 406 gr arrows and 29.5 DL. If there is a secret, please let me know....:wink:

Cheers

SS

Assuming he meant a 417 gr arrow, that is still probably 12-15 fps too optimistic with his set up (IBO 330 fps). I'd expect he's closer to 260 fps.

The Hermit
05-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Nope the arrows are indeed 517 grains and the FPS was a total guess. I'll put them through the chronograph one day soon and let you know. You guys are probably correct. the 330fps is actually for a 70lb bow with stupid light arrows. I'm not really worried about the FPS within reason as those heavy arrows should penetrate pretty well and with the 1 1/2" hole the T3's will make it will be a deadly combo me thinks.

Bear_Down
05-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Found my fletches were contacting the strings. A simple twist of the nock and were back in the game. Set at 70lb and it is still one of the smoothest drawing bows I have drawn back on. Thinking of changing out the halo rest to wisker or drop away. Over all I am satisfied with the bow and recommend it to others.

search4horn
06-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Bought a defy last fall, love it! Set it up with a firenock areorest and a spott hog, no problems. Haven't had any cable clearance problems, tunes super easy and love the back wall.

06-28-2014, 07:35 AM
Owned one for a year now, like everything about it.

afflicted 1
06-28-2014, 07:46 AM
I've had my centroid lr for 2 years now I really like it,great quality bow. One thing I did to it that greatly increased the grip consistency was removed the piece bolted to the side of the arrow shelf. I was having torque issues with it on and finally discovered I was putting minimal pressure on it up front. I also removed the grip plate on left side and taped the grip. My 70 - 80yrd groups have really improved.

davet
07-14-2014, 06:17 PM
can i ask where you bought your G5 from. Im in the market for a bow

Spy
07-15-2014, 08:31 AM
can i ask where you bought your G5 from. Im in the market for a bow

Speak to the Hermit(Bill) he sells them. :-)

davet
07-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Speak to the Hermit(Bill) he sells them. :-)
I take it he is on this forum :)

Spy
07-15-2014, 06:35 PM
I take it he is on this forum :)

Jup post 11 in this thread ;-)

Foxtail
07-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Talked to a guy at the Semiahmoo shoot that was up from Washington, runs a pro shop down there. He and his wife were shooting G5 and Inoticed her cables were wearing where they rubbed. He said its no big deal because G5 gives you new strings every 2 years... Free of charge. I thought that was pretty cool.

Bear_Down
07-17-2014, 11:39 PM
G5 has sent cabelas cable glides that hold the cables shallower allowing fletch clearance. Installed mine. No more nock clocking.and Davet bought mine at Wholesale Sports. Cabelad also carries them.

Spy
07-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Shot the Hermits G5 awesome bow & shot a decent group aswell. I would get in touch with Bill (Hermit) before you go the wholesale sports or Cabelas route. ;-)

Bear_Down
11-14-2014, 12:27 AM
Hunting season comming to a close and LOVE this bow. 20 grouse a black bear at 30 yards and a cow moose at 40 yards. Proof is in the freezer.

The Hermit
11-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Excellent season! Congrats. I really like my Prime Defy too, just one deer to date with it but I believe my shooting has improved with this bow!

Bear_Down
11-19-2014, 12:28 AM
Nothing wrong with a deer. It all fills the freezer. If I had the funds I would go to the prime for sure but this Rogue is a fair spliter. Cuts the heads off chicken's at 20 yards. And 10 rings at 40. It is more than the price tag suggests.