PDA

View Full Version : LEH moose 6-02B anyone hunted this area??

emerson
03-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Allowed to access with a boat? How thick and steep is the country? Are there trails to walk off the lake up valleys etc? How is the predator population? Doesn't look like an easy hunt, but maybe not too crowded? I would be hitting it from the northwest probably. Hoping for some pretty person empty country. Thanks.

Cordillera
03-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Most people that hunt there either wander up the lake and hope for a bull to come to the call, or fly into one of the high country lakes in the park.

Everett
03-23-2014, 07:28 PM
We hunted there two years ago flew in never saw a living moose saw several moose kills(wolves). The fishing and paddling was amazing though. Even though we got skunked one of our favorite trips. If you get the draw call Nick at Lake District Air a real good guy to deal with.

moosegoof
03-23-2014, 07:56 PM
We were there last season beginning of October 12-15 quads busy! Need boat to ferry equipment across, lots of roads getting overgrown. Several places to cross. I was surprised how busy it was. saw a couple bulls taken, we were not successful.

moosegoof
03-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Sorry that was 6-2A

.257mag
03-24-2014, 06:27 PM
hunted 6-2b over the years always been successful-boat access to get across but a million miles of roads most you could drive a car on lots of moose -lots of cut blocks getting overgrown so not a whole lot of open logged areas

emerson
03-24-2014, 06:36 PM
hunted 6-2b over the years always been successful-boat access to get across but a million miles of roads most you could drive a car on lots of moose -lots of cut blocks getting overgrown so not a whole lot of open logged areas

Sounds like mountain bike/boat is the way to go.

Everett
03-24-2014, 06:48 PM
You sure you were in 6-2b its a park no roads.

.257mag
03-25-2014, 02:22 AM
A is the park im pretty sure

Everett
03-25-2014, 10:02 AM
A is the park im pretty sure

You have it backwards

.257mag
03-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Your right got my zones messed up did 2 fly in trips to cheif louis lake got moose both times would need a canoe and chainsaw winch.you can quad into the lake as well

emerson
03-25-2014, 10:02 PM
I am asking about B, the park, which is to the West of A.

decker9
03-26-2014, 01:12 AM
Your right got my zones messed up did 2 fly in trips to cheif louis lake got moose both times would need a canoe and chainsaw winch.you can quad into the lake as well

Iv spent some time on chief Louis trapping. We always stayed at the outfitters guide camp. Excellent moose hunting. Good chance the outfitter would bugger that up tho if they were in that camp at the same time. Pretty sure the boundarie for "B" crosses at the west end of the lake. The creek coming in from that west end is pretty easy boating or paddling, and spectacular moose hunting. If a guy can miss the guided hunting, it's a great spot.

Another option is launching a "good" boat at Andrew bay and boat in from there. Ootsa lake is big and can be crazy, be prepared!! Other then hunting the shore line, google earthing meadows and swamps that a guy can hike into off the lake would be a good bet. Don't forget tho there are a ton of dead heads, makes getting off the lake difficult in a lot of places.

But best bet of all, as Everett mentioned, Nick at LD air knows that land like the back of his hand, and a very nice guy, well worth the phone call.

Good luck!