PDA

View Full Version : New Shotgun

The Hermit
03-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Toying with the idea of buying a new auto-loader for duck and goose hunting. What are some of the best ones under $2K? What are the qualities that you look for in a good waterfowl gun?

lorneparker1
03-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Like all guns fit is important. Go down to a gun shop shoulder/swing a Browning Gold, Bennelli vinici, berretta Extrema and Winchester sx3 and see what you like the best. I am not an autoloader guy but I like the bps the best out of those.

BrodieG
03-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Lots of great options for under 2k. Beretta, Benelli, Browning, Winchester. Best bet is to handle as many as you can and get a feel for them. You could read a million reviews on the internet but fit and feel is a personal preference and you have to handle them first. Ask yourself if you want a 3.5" gun or just a 3".

I picked up a Beretta A391 Xtrema 2 and love it.

field marshal
03-23-2014, 05:17 PM
The Browning BPS is a pump not an autoloader---Cheers---Field Marshal.

Crazy_Farmer
03-23-2014, 05:32 PM
I picked up a 4ga for next season.... The 10ga didn't have enough knock down power.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/2014/F7BFD277-F421-4CA8-8205-E2448CD3AB93.jpg (http://s45.photobucket.com/user/Crazy_Farmer/media/2014/F7BFD277-F421-4CA8-8205-E2448CD3AB93.jpg.html)

lorneparker1
03-23-2014, 05:40 PM
The Browning BPS is a pump not an autoloader---Cheers---Field Marshal.

precisely

Lorne

Crazy_Farmer
03-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Each brand makes excellent waterfowling guns. Best to hold the main models and see what swings and shoulders best. Which comes up nicely to point without even thinking about the mechanics of shouldering the gun.

2k will get you a great gun

wingmaster
03-23-2014, 10:02 PM
get the sx3 just posted in the classifieds.

your welcome:mrgreen:

(i would pick it up myself but i just burnt out the budget on a Benelli M2)

Foxtail
03-23-2014, 10:15 PM
My dad has several different ones and what I have found is it is completely personal preference. I like the winch best but it is heavier. For geese he loves his Beretta extrema. He also has a Remington and a franchi. The rem is nice. The franchi is very nice but feels very light and almost too quick pointing.

Foxton Gundogs
03-23-2014, 10:22 PM
If you want the best go with a Beretta Love my XII and my X A300, I really like my SX2 as well and the new SX3s are every bit as nice with a couple of added features. We do A LOT of waterfowling and they have never let me down. Get a 3 1/2 inch, A lot of folks will tell you you don't NEED it BUT you don't have to use it however it's there if you want it, you can shoot all the 2 3/4 loads you want out of a 3 1/2 gun but a 2 3/4 wont shoot 3 1/2s worth a crap

hunterjeff719
03-23-2014, 11:36 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?105605-For-Sale-Winchester-SX3-3-quot

quaint bucket
03-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Remington Versamax.

hunter fisher
03-24-2014, 10:44 AM
beretta xtrema 2. unreal gun and doesnt jam if you get mild debris in the chamber

widger
03-24-2014, 11:08 AM
I would have to say the gun that fits you best would be the first consideration, and then make. In terms of brands that work well I would agree with what others have said around Beretta and Benelli and Browning etc. For $2K you should have the pick of the litter. I have been using Beretta's for the last 20+ years and they have not let me down from Boundary Bay salt marshes to Saskatchewan goose fields they just keep chucking shells. As well I would suggest getting a 3.5" gun as it is always better to have the option than not. Good luck.

The Hermit
03-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Okay fit is important, yes for sure. Are any of the models mentioned particularly good at recoil reduction. Any that have known problems with ejection or excellent quality features to be considered?

aggiehunter
03-24-2014, 09:32 PM
what's wrong with your desert storm special...lol...I hunt all my ducks with my 30 year old Citori Field gun.

wingmaster
03-24-2014, 09:36 PM
all the models mentioned so far will piss off your partner with constantly ejecting hulls in their face LOL, thats why I always hustle up for the left side of the blind. The extrema II and the newer berettas have kickoff option available and gas operators tend to have less recoil than recoil operators, I have no beretta experience so i cant attest to the kickoff system, benelli has the new comforttech stock which seems to work well on my M2 but ive only shot target loads so far and thats comparing to an 870. im pretty sure all have pretty good quality track records and they had better for the premium being paid for them.

Another option to check out for a high quality but more affordable price point is the franchi affinity, ive shot a buddies and it pointed extremely comfortably.

WestCoastHunter
03-24-2014, 10:05 PM
Beretta's kickoff feature is pretty cool, definitely soaked up the re-coil well.

Kudu
03-25-2014, 07:07 AM
If you want the best go with a Beretta Love my XII and my X A300, I really like my SX2 as well and the new SX3s are every bit as nice with a couple of added features. We do A LOT of waterfowling and they have never let me down. Get a 3 1/2 inch, A lot of folks will tell you you don't NEED it BUT you don't have to use it however it's there if you want it, you can shoot all the 2 3/4 loads you want out of a 3 1/2 gun but a 2 3/4 wont shoot 3 1/2s worth a crap

What he said!

shotgunjohn
03-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Beretta. It just looks better than the Benelli.

Foxton Gundogs
03-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Beretta. It just looks better than the Benelli.

Matter of choice and fit, go shoulder all the good ones, Beretta, Benelli, SX3, Browning etc. Stay clear of Remington they aren't the gun they used to be and their customer service is TERRIBLE

quaint bucket
03-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Never had a problem with my Versamax, bud.

Foxton Gundogs
03-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Never had a problem with my Versamax, bud.

You are lucky, I know 3 guys who sold brand new guns because they were in for warrantee more than in the blind with an average of 4-5 Mos. turn around time. If yours works for you great, but the overall picture is not near as rosy. One of my hunting partners went through 3 replacements before switching to Xtrema II and SuperX and we are talking very experienced shooters who know how to look after their equipment.

Crazy_Farmer
03-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Heard some good things with the versamax. But how many cases of shells you put through it during duck season is the real question.

Foxton Gundogs
03-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Heard some good things with the versamax. But how many cases of shells you put through it during duck season is the real question.

To be fair these guys are serious shooters and shoot A LOT, and only 1 of the 3 was a Versamax, HOWEVER the customer service/warrantee is still a huge issue no matter what model. Versamax is the new 'saviour' of the Remington shotgun lineup, ask my opinion in 5 years when they are 'tested' if they hold up well and Remington steps up their customer service I may change my opinion.

adriaticum
03-25-2014, 02:23 PM
If you got the money to blow,
Benelli is the way to go.

I'm just throwing this out there for poetic value.

BrodieG
03-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Check out the new Beretta A400 its in your budget and a beautiful shotgun.

quaint bucket
03-25-2014, 04:09 PM
To be fair these guys are serious shooters and shoot A LOT, and only 1 of the 3 was a Versamax, HOWEVER the customer service/warrantee is still a huge issue no matter what model. Versamax is the new 'saviour' of the Remington shotgun lineup, ask my opinion in 5 years when they are 'tested' if they hold up well and Remington steps up their customer service I may change my opinion.

It's been around for 3+ years now.

Remington CS in the US is awesome apparently. We're being handled by a third party taking care of Remington in Canada. They are not as good.

I don't baby my Versamax and it's still kicking. I'm not sure what kind of problems your buddies are having, can you maybe expand?

Foxton Gundogs
03-25-2014, 04:38 PM
It's been around for 3+ years now.

Remington CS in the US is awesome apparently. We're being handled by a third party taking care of Remington in Canada. They are not as good.

I don't baby my Versamax and it's still kicking. I'm not sure what kind of problems your buddies are having, can you maybe expand?

Yah NP, mostly cycling problems and not with just one ammo brand either, Unfortunately we are in Canada when it comes to CS and we get it in the butt. The fastest turn around time was 4 mos. the slowest over 6 and at one time they(Remington) said that my partners gun was 'lost' he finally got some action when he told them he was reporting it to the RCMP as lost or stolen while out of his care. 3 days latter they 'found' it but it was 2 more mos. before he got it back. One of my other buddies sent his SBE in for a similar cycling problem the turnaround was 3 weeks in the middle of the season, another has a slide problem with his Nova, they had the parts to him in 5 days. So either a lot less of the Benelli/Beretta line need warrantee or they do a lot better job with the customer service. Sorry I used to love my Mod. 58, but with the track record of the newer guns and the service or lack there of Remington has a lot of proving to do to get my trust back. And like Adam said it depends on how many cases of shells a person shoots in a year some carry their shells out of the store in a bag some on 2 wheel hand dollies, lol.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/IMG_4582_512x768.jpg

FirePower
03-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Unfortunately Remington has gone to hell in a hand cart over the past few years, however I believe they are taking steps to rectify their production and customer service muck. Here is hoping they will return to their former leval of quality.

fowl language
03-25-2014, 06:22 PM
now I know why you can not get a deal on Winchester ammo, that damn jim bought it all. he is a ammo pig....fowl

Foxton Gundogs
03-25-2014, 06:31 PM
now I know why you can not get a deal on Winchester ammo, that damn jim bought it all. he is a ammo pig....fowl

I actually 'stole' that pic from an old post of Adam's lol he was the one who brought up the reference to how many cases one shoots in a year. Thought it was fitting. LMFatAO

f350ps
03-25-2014, 08:53 PM
I've bought all my guns from Reliable Gun, warranty on any brand has never been an issue! If they don't have the part they'll take it from a new gun off the shelf. K

quaint bucket
03-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Yah NP, mostly cycling problems and not with just one ammo brand either, Unfortunately we are in Canada when it comes to CS and we get it in the butt. The fastest turn around time was 4 mos. the slowest over 6 and at one time they(Remington) said that my partners gun was 'lost' he finally got some action when he told them he was reporting it to the RCMP as lost or stolen while out of his care. 3 days latter they 'found' it but it was 2 more mos. before he got it back. One of my other buddies sent his SBE in for a similar cycling problem the turnaround was 3 weeks in the middle of the season, another has a slide problem with his Nova, they had the parts to him in 5 days. So either a lot less of the Benelli/Beretta line need warrantee or they do a lot better job with the customer service. Sorry I used to love my Mod. 58, but with the track record of the newer guns and the service or lack there of Remington has a lot of proving to do to get my trust back. And like Adam said it depends on how many cases of shells a person shoots in a year some carry their shells out of the store in a bag some on 2 wheel hand dollies, lol.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/IMG_4582_512x768.jpg

Yeah, it sucks when a third party customer service company brings down the entire company because the VM is actually a pretty damn good gun. I'm glad that your buddy is getting better service from Benelli with his guns.

I have deliberately dropped my VM in the water and mud to pick it up and fire a few shots. I'm happy with it and I can understand that some people won't be happy and if they find something else better for themselves, then more power to them. :)

I have to send my VM in soon for the platinum cleaning service. I remember the CS in Canada tried to scammed other Canadian VM owner by saying, "you have to pay shipping." The best way to respond is by contacting Remington USA and tell them about it and it will light a fire under their butt. Hopefully they will get rid of that deadweight and bring in their own customer service.

aggiehunter
03-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Hermy, you cant' just ask a question and vanish...I guess what I was getting at with my O/U story is I got a bank loan to buy that gun when I was 19..so 35 years ago...theres more to hunting wildfowl then getting the biggest gun with the most bullets (3)...theres a certain romance to it for some of us...I know a kid real well on the Island who is a duck slayer...with his grandpa's side by side....get a gun that makes you feel good.

Dutch
03-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Well said Aggie I shoot an extrema 2 beretta and had a browning gold hunter for 10 years ,both were great but in Argentina I put 7500 rounds through a benelli in 3 days not one hang up, but was 75 and no rain as well but was impressed.

bogman
03-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Well said Aggie I shoot an extrema 2 beretta and had a browning gold hunter for 10 years ,both were great but in Argentina I put 7500 rounds through a benelli in 3 days not one hang up, but was 75 and no rain as well but was impressed.

Ya just gotta keep bringing up Argentina.........Sigh.....

fowl language
03-27-2014, 07:58 PM
ya dutch, like bogman said it is getting a bit old and we are all jealous. the only other guy I know that has the cake it takes to get down there is a family member of yours and it is tough enough to get him off that mountain let alone get him to open up that wallet...is that not right cuz.....dale

BrodieG
03-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Cant go wrong with a Benelli. If I didn't have my Beretta Xtrema 2 a Benelli would be in my safe.

Dutch
03-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Ya just gotta keep bringing up Argentina.........Sigh.....

Sorry cuz remember you could have been there .....

The Hermit
03-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Aggie, what can I say? I like guns... too. I still have my 16G WingMaster that dad bought me for my 15th birthday and still shoot it a couple times a year. Also, have a 12 G UltiMag 3 /12" that works but the huge bruises on my shoulder and arm have me thinking about a modern shotty and Ern I'd love a Citori some day.

Thanks for all the input boys. I will get around to shouldering those mentioned and do a little more reading. Cheers

NovemberBravo
03-29-2014, 02:43 PM
I am also in the market for a new auto loader. I have shouldered a Winchester Sx3, a Berreta a400, a Remmington versamax, a Beneli SBEII and a Browning Maxus and I have to say the Browning shoulders and tracks the best for me. It is said to have a lower muzzle jump of all the guns,and it is said to have low recoil. The feature where you can stop it from loading to put a different shell in is nice too.

All this said in my opinion which shotgun to buy is a Chevy, Dodge, Ford argument, everyone will have their favorite but they are all fairly equal.

BrodieG
03-29-2014, 02:51 PM
I am also in the market for a new auto loader. I have shouldered a Winchester Sx3, a Berreta a400, a Remmington versamax, a Beneli SBEII and a Browning Maxus and I have to say the Browning shoulders and tracks the best for me. It is said to have a lower muzzle jump of all the guns,and it is said to have low recoil. The feature where you can stop it from loading to put a different shell in is nice too.

All this said in my opinion which shotgun to buy is a Chevy, Dodge, Ford argument, everyone will have their favorite but they are all fairly equal.

I know for a fact the Beretta and Benelli have the magazine cutoff aswell. Its a nice feature to have for sure.

Foxton Gundogs
03-29-2014, 04:45 PM
I know for a fact the Beretta and Benelli have the magazine cutoff aswell. Its a nice feature to have for sure. And you have to go a long way to find less felt recoil than the Beretta kickoff system believe me try one you'll like it.

lorneparker1
03-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Shotguns kick?

BrodieG
03-29-2014, 05:49 PM
And you have to go a long way to find less felt recoil than the Beretta kickoff system believe me try one you'll like it.

Gun stays super flat when you shoot it too. 3" waterfowl loads out of the beretta kick less than a pump gun with 2 3/4 trap loads.

biggyun68
03-31-2014, 10:05 PM
Mine doesn't kick at all:-D

Foxton Gundogs
04-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Mine doesn't kick at all:-D

They never do with a 'Misfire' LMFatAO:mrgreen:

Dutch
04-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Every now and then you have to clean them right Pat....

Dutch Ppoacher
12-23-2014, 08:03 PM
There are good deals on used browning silvers and gold guns, and all the rest.
you can sell them for what you buy them for if the shoe don't fit

Dutch
12-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Bought my daughter a remington 1100 3" with remchokes,and 2 stocks out of Victoria in like new condition $500. I know its not up to my Extrema or a Benelli but keep it clean it will do for her (she's 24 now). She shot my old 1100 so is familiar with the action knows how to clean it so I thought was perfect for her in Ontario. Lots of good guns out there still "barn finds lol" Happy Holidays to all

180grainer
12-24-2014, 06:32 PM

Sure hope nothing fails on my 1953 Remington Sportsman 48.

TARCHER
12-24-2014, 06:58 PM
I know my uncles who reside in sask and waterfowl hunt a lot all have and love Barettas

The Hermit
12-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Alrighty now, after all this time, I finally settled on a Beretta A300 with kick-off. Thanks to all that provided the feedback, it was helpful. Special thanks to Fowl Language for tipping me onto the availability of the gun. I brought it home this week and can hardly wait to get out to the marsh to give it a go!

Cdn-Redneck
12-20-2015, 02:06 PM
You will love that beretta I bought an A 400 this season and it is great. Just. a tip I have learned is don't over oil the bolt just a film is all it needs. Less is more.

Foxton Gundogs
12-20-2015, 07:04 PM
You'll love it Bill both Fowl and I shoot them as back ups to our 391s go kill some ducks and give us a report

The Hermit
12-21-2015, 12:26 AM
I might need a lesson on disassembly and cleaning it... Waiting on the manual. I also agreed to lend my truck to a friend for Christmas week so now I can't transport my canoe out to the marsh... Errrrr am going to go on my I birthday the 27th for sure! Can't hardly wait!

Cdn-Redneck
12-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Hopefully this will help.

http://youtu.be/X-8t25ES-1g

Superdeuce
12-21-2015, 06:52 PM
Did you get the A300 Outlander or the A300 Xtrema? the A300 Xtrema is a lot more gun and good value as shares a lot of the components of the A400.

Foxton Gundogs
12-21-2015, 10:12 PM
He got the A300 Xtrema 3.5" with KO. Basicly the old A391 Xtrema II with a few less bells and whistles

The Hermit
12-21-2015, 10:27 PM
It sure comes to shoulder well on me and the balance is so much better than my old shotty! My tooth issues and associated pain have kept me from getting out to try it yet... so ticked. Hopefully I can get out this weekend but for sure next week. Watched the youtube videos on it and it seems like a good choice! Can hardly wait.

Superdeuce
12-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Not many A300 Xtremas available as I think they were a limited run by Beretta but seem like one of the better values in a SA if you snagged one on sale. Give us a full report once you get it broke in!

Big Hoss
12-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Congrats on the the gun you can't go wrong with a Beretta semi auto. I have an old al2 and an A400 Excel sporting clays and love the feel of them both. I just need to either put a shim in front of the butt pad or put a different pad on the A400 to lengthen it a bit

Foxton Gundogs
12-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Not many A300 Xtremas available as I think they were a limited run by Beretta but seem like one of the better values in a SA if you snagged one on sale. Give us a full report once you get it broke in!
Our group bought 3, 2 on VI and one in Ladner for around $1100 each. My only complaint is they used a different choke tube thread than the 391s. I bought mine so I would only have to carry one choke pack, but it turned out that was not the case, if I could find a good 391 Xtreema II I'd sell my 300 just because of the tube convenience.

Danny
12-23-2015, 11:38 AM
That's what i have and love it . Couple buddies that are "hi volume" shooters also shoot the 300 and have had zero problems . Great gun ,you'll be happy with it

Sako 75
12-23-2015, 03:34 PM
I got the Beretta Extrema 3 1/2" shotgun when it first came out and I love it. I also inherited my late dad's Benelli BE love that one too. These days I tend to use the Benelli a bit more because it is bit lighter gun.