PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on boats?

BromBones
03-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Howdy fellas.

I wanna talk boats and get some input from more experienced guys than me. Pretend I know nothing.:-D

What I'm looking at is a good basic utility boat & and outboard jet. I can drop about $15k right now but would like to do it for less.

I'm looking at something like so - 16 ft Princecraft with maybe a 60/40 jet. I want something decent for lake fishing and handle a few tall waves, and also be able to scoot up some rivers with a few pounds in the boat. No shallow water rock pinball, just want to run a moderate stream without lathing down a prop. :) There's a few guys around Terrace I've seen with a setup like this who like it for an all around setup.

http://www.princecraft.com/AttachmentImage.ashx?file=Starfish20-Agrandissement1-17102013-131028.jpg&Size=33&UILanguageID=EN

Any input on boats and engines is appreciated. Also controls - was looking at Mercs big tiller or side console? Simple and reliable is a key for me so if you've got suggestions, fire away.

Thanks

.330 Dakota
03-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Im no expert on jet drives or outboard jets, but I do wonder ,,if you used a jon type flatbottom boat rather than a v-hull, wouldnt the jet be more effective? as the v-hull requires a lot deeper water to run in?

Buck
03-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Good question i use a Vhull for duckhunting it handles way better than a flatbottom.Not sure how that plays out with a jet though.Jons slide through corners mine digs in and turns on a dime.May lose momentum and have cavitation issues on sharp turns with a jet on a Vhull?

Just
03-21-2014, 09:21 PM
I had a Lowe Roughneck 1655 flat bottom jet boat with a 90horse merc jet and it went like stink!!! AS long as you have the flat bottom you can run a jet no prob. if you have that boat you pictured then you should be fine and will probably be good in lakes too as with the big pointed v hull you can take some waves as well. I sold my flat bottome for 10000, and i kinda wish I never sold it cause it was the shit on rivers as well as lakes, but that boat your lookin at would be awsome in river and lake I'm sure!!!

pete_k
03-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Usually the hulls are modified when you use a outboard jet.
They are slightly tunneled so that the intake of the jet is flush with the bottom of the boat.
Don't know how to post pics, but google "outboard jet hull" and click images for a look.
Good luck!

huntinnut
03-22-2014, 07:01 PM
If you want to haul a lot you might want to step up one more motor size being that it's a jet. I have a 19ft hewescraft river runner with a 120 prop on it. It's fairly flat bottomed with a 10 degree hull, and it hauls ass with only 2 people in it. Last fall I invited a few friends to go camping across a lake and with 6 of us, full fuel tank, and all our stuff I was wondering if it was going to get on step,...more power!!!

Barracuda
03-22-2014, 07:40 PM
that's more then enough power for a small boat but I can assure you that you will destroy the boat (I started with a riveted boat) . running a river even minor pounding will have that poor boat crying uncle in a season. you don't need a jet tunnel you just need to set up the jet for your hull and be prepared for adjustment. a jack plate will be needed and you will have to make sure you have a smooth water feed for about 24 inches in front of foot. (remove center section) at the end of the day your better off getting a small bare bones welded hull made for a jet . http://www.outboardjets.com/index.php A good shallow water design takes less time and power to get on plane keeps there at slow speed and carries a load but at the sacrifice of of comfort . mines about 3deg and carrys a load well gets on plane is cheap to run and rides like a shopping cart.

BRvalley
03-25-2014, 08:39 AM
G3 makes a welded jon with a jet tunnel, or you can use their regular jon boat and setup with a jack plate for the jet o/b...they are in stock at checkpoint marine in abby and fit your budget 14k (the console with tunnel will be a few k higher)

there is also a product called gator glide epoxy, haven't heard a lot about how it stands up to rocks, but seems to be popular down south, maybe effective and cheaper than Teflon?

Foxtail
03-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Meanchicken.net ;)

Moe.JKU
03-25-2014, 10:28 AM
We have been using a harbourcraft 16ft saltwater edition. We use it from lakes, rivers and the ocean. It has a good draft for the boat, however when we were stuck in 10- 12 ft whitecaps with water crashing over the bow it held up great, and got us around safely. Running a 50hp it tops out around 33mph.

Salty
03-25-2014, 10:32 AM
As much as the 'I'll take it easy a riveted boat will be fine" philosophy looks good on paper as barracuda says it will likely be an expensive lesson. Every rock that jumps up and hits you.... and I swear they do... will leave a mark. And its not a matter of if but when it will start to open up at the seams and leak. Not that there isn't a lot of beat up leaky riveted jobs still working fine enough but you will thrash the boat and it will be worth next to nothing for resale.

60 hp jet is a good way to go for smaller boats/smaller loads. Rule of thumb is 2/3 hp in actual thrust with a jet versus a prop. So that motor performs like a 40 hp. A guy in the Bay where we used to live came up with a design for a 20 foot slender welded aluminum john boat style but with a bit of dead rise not a true flat bottom boat. That's how the best of the best are set up, not totally flat. His 20 was a small 20 volume wise more like a 16 or so. It did well going up and down the Nimpkish river with 3 big guys and gear for a day's messing around. Any more than that it would be under powered. He ran a Merc, seemed to do well but it was new so...

firstshot
03-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Im one of those guys from terrace! My boat is a 16 foot princecraft with a 60hp motor, about 40 at jet. Not my ideal boat but it gets me out there. I've taken my boat up most local rivers , lakelse lake and a little in Rupert. I can get on step with 4 adults and five gallons of gas and some fishing gear, but that's the max. I'm very carefull in the river not to hit logs or rocks, these hulls will get damaged easy. As far as speed goes if I remember right I can go 40 km/h on the lake with two people in the boat. Flat bottom is not ideal for large waves and also makes it slide around corners a bit, takes a bit of time to get used to. I am also thinking of getting a simple welded aluminum hull to replace my princecraft in the future.

Barracuda
03-25-2014, 11:14 AM
firstshot you will find the hull makes a huge difference . I can load mine up with 3 people and gear, 20 gallons of fuel and it gets on step fast and 30 mph on the gps mind you im under 15 feet but it is wide (I can fit a MC or small quad in our current boat). my old riveted was quick to plane top speed was very similar but it couldnt carry near the load I can now , it was a learning experience to say the least . Even just the ripples on a river beats the riveted to hell never mind the rocks.