PDA

View Full Version : Late Trip Fly in Backpack hunt?

trashheap
03-21-2014, 09:59 AM
New to this Forum and have a question. Four of us are looking into flying up to Northern B.C. for a hunt for the last two weeks of September. I was wondering for those that have done it what kind of weather should we expect? I am getting mixed reviews any were from your crazy to very manageable. I have done late hunts in Alberta mountains in late season but always with horses. I know every year is different for weather but just seeing what everyone thinks?
Thanks for any Info

calvin L
03-21-2014, 10:04 AM
It is very doable . As to weather you will have everything from sun to lots of snow to deep cold . Are you looking for moose / caribou /sheep/elk . Keep you head in the game and you will be fine . If it looks like time to call the plane in for pick up it most Likely is !!!

Welcome to the site

GoatGuy
03-21-2014, 10:25 AM
You can look at the environment Canada data.

Generally far less precip in September than August, but colder than September.

Personal perspective is September is the nicest month to be in the mountains up north.

Philcott
03-21-2014, 10:58 AM
As to weather you will have everything from sun to lots of snow to deep cold .

This is what we've had in the past. Just about any weather can come in on you. Mid September we've hunted in shorts and in full on winter clothing. If you're flying in make sure you have warm clothes.

Rackem
03-21-2014, 11:05 AM
You can have hot days and cold nights, you can have snow, or rain...Depends on the part of Northern BC you are in...and the micro climate of that area. I went up to Dease Lake area in the Alpine at that time of year, and at first it was hot and sunny, then it rained a few days, then it was hot for a few more days with some cloud breaks, then it snowed...and was pretty cold if you were not moving. So be ready for anything.

BEAVERBRUCE
03-21-2014, 01:00 PM
lots of people go at that time better book your flight now

Stresd
03-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Right on the Yukon border and over 2 week period, most of the time in the alpine. We had a little of everything. Nothing insurmountable and nothing really different preparation ways, than if I was going in Late Oct early Sept.

Sitkaspruce
03-21-2014, 07:36 PM
The time I like to go; best weather, no crowds and the the caribou, elk and moose are all in some stage of the rut. Plus I like the sheep in their winter coats.

Go man and enjoy what the mountains have to offer!!!

Cheers

SS

trashheap
03-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the responses! Sounds like we will make a go of it.

wiggy
03-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Make sure you take extra food for 5 to 7 days and stash it at your base camp. I'd be careful about using a second pick up place. If the weather does turn it can dump a couple ft on snow easily and that can make for slow and possibly dangerous hiking. Be prepared and hope you smoke some big critters

Trekker
03-22-2014, 03:35 PM
it can be hot or really cold, likely snow if a storm runs in. don't skimp on your insulation layer.

Blainer
03-22-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking early Sept.
But it's tough to put a plan in place until LEH results are released.
The area that I'm considering is all LEH.
Have you studied regs and come to a conclusion on area and target species?

trashheap
03-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Yah we have studied the regs in area we are looking at and have been doing research for about a year. Was planning on going a little earlier in the season but due to work it is not going to work out so we are going later. We are all not new to mountain hunting but have not done it in northern B.C. that's why I thought I'd ask. By the sounds of the responses its about what I had in mind. Thanks