PDA

View Full Version : Hoover Lake behind Mission.

Big Lew
03-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Last week I took my dog for a hike up to Hoover lake. The ice was just beginning to come off. There have been people cleaning up the windfalls and repairing or replacing foot bridges, so the trail to, alongside, and beyond where it re-joins the logging road is in good shape.
Went up there again today and can verify that the lake is clear of ice. Saw a couple of fish swirls. The only place along the foreshore I noticed that was clear of floating logs and debris were 2 spots on the Island/peninsula. For those considering trying it for the first time, it is a 1-1 1/2 hr hike up several long steep grades to either end of the trail, and the trail is also a bit physically challenging if you're carrying a large heavy pack. Probably a good idea to have a walking stick as an aid.

Sarge789
03-20-2014, 08:26 PM
OP,

How do you suggest fishing this lake, is there good shore access or is a boat required? Also, any idea what fish are in there? Thanks

Bfortune1000
03-25-2014, 05:13 PM
is it a busy place up there? because if I hike in I usually do an over nighter. but not really worth it if there are a lot of people coming through there

sarg
03-25-2014, 05:18 PM
OP,

How do you suggest fishing this lake, is there good shore access or is a boat required? Also, any idea what fish are in there? Thanks

float tube is the best way, its about an hour hike in and there is a ton of logs along the shore line.

sarg
03-25-2014, 05:19 PM
is it a busy place up there? because if I hike in I usually do an over nighter. but not really worth it if there are a lot of people coming through there
it can be a busy place, a lot of tree huggers do the hike around that area

Big Lew
03-25-2014, 05:30 PM

I was up there again a couple of days ago, chatting with one couple just hiking, and noticed another party heading into the lake, but I don't know if they planned to fish because the trail they were on goes along and past the lake. You have to look about to find a place for a tent or lean-to, but it can do done. (If you consider camping, be forewarned that others before you have toileted close to camping spots, especially on the island/peninsula) There are both cutthroat and rainbows. Most of the lake shore is strewn with floating logs and debris, but there are 2 spots off the path on the island/peninsula that are open enough to launch a raft or float tub. On the north-east side of the lake there is a section free of logs and the water is deep enough for spin casting but you'll have to bushwhack your way to it (it's quite a long way from the trail system)

Grumpa Joe
03-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Went for a hike up there today with my daughter Paula and good friend Jerry. First time up there, the light rain just made it seem that much more peaceful, A couple of work crews up there grading the roads and prepping access for the power line twinning. Walked part way around the lake (as far as the island/peninsula)/ Must have been some hatch coming off as a fair number of small fish were rising toward the far shore. As Big Lew mentioned, there are a few challenging incline stretches on the hike in but all in all a good, doable preseason warm up hike.