PDA

View Full Version : B.C. hunters given the okay to shoot feral pigs anywhere

bone
03-20-2014, 10:59 AM
bacon bacon bacon

VANCOUVER SUN MARCH 20, 2014

It is now legal for licensed hunters to harvest feral pigs anywhere in B.C.In a news release issued this morning, the B.C. ministry of forests and lands says feral pigs are invasive animals that have escaped farms andestablished themselves in the wild.While there aren’t that many, the release notes, they can cause damage to local ecosystems by competingwith local wildlife for forage, damaging crops and eating the eggs of ground nesting birds.The ministry also warns that feral pigs can be the source of infectious diseases and parasites that can be harmful towildlife, livestock and human health.The escaped swine have been reported in the Lower Mainland, Kamloops, Okanagan, Peace and Kootenay Regions, the release added, warning that “once established feral pigs are extremely hard to eradicate.”Feral pigs have been designated a Schedule C invasive species. Also added to the Schedule C list today are European wall lizards and non-native turtles, removing the requirement to obtain a permit before trapping or killing these invasive species.

(http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9640698)
http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9640698

Philcott
03-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Guess they're trying to nip the infestation in the bud. I'd pop one or two given the chance.

MichelD
03-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Never seen one though I'd love to try eating a feral porker.

My daughter just butchered a wild boar on her porch, but she lives in Berlin. The hunters are allowed to sell their game there so she bought a freshly killed young one a couple weeks ago.

Tenacious Billy
03-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Anyone know what areas these things can actually be found in?...

boxhitch
03-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Turkeys are invasive too , but I don't see them on the list.

Andy83
03-20-2014, 12:11 PM
I heard there were a bunch around Christina Lake a few years ago.

luckofthedraw
03-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Thats pretty cool. I've never seen one myself.

HarryToolips
03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Anyone know what areas these things can actually be found in?...
Ya I'd love to know, I'd love to make my own bacon...

Elkhound
03-20-2014, 12:38 PM
I know i would take as many as I could....but never seen one

r106
03-20-2014, 12:56 PM
I would love to get a couple. Any one know where they have been seen in Lower mainland, Kamloops or Okanagan?

Could make for a good reason to make the 8 hour round trip to Kamloops in the winter and combine it with a predator hunt

Ringo 7MM
03-20-2014, 12:58 PM
There is good pig hunting here on the island, just check out the bars.:mrgreen:

Sasquatch
03-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Has anyone here ever seen a feral pig in BC? Not, I heard from my cousin, who heard from his best friend....someone who has actually laid eyes on one?

All those thousands of hours HBC members spend in the bush every year and I've never heard anyone claim to have seen one - but a bunch of members claim to have seen a sasquatch. Shows just how rare these pigs are.

I think the invasive turtles will be easier to find, at least then you could be fairly sure you'd have some soup.

Moose63
03-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Alberta has a bunch. Wondering if they're crossing the border?

Ringo 7MM
03-20-2014, 02:51 PM

Without a passpork? :mrgreen:

Ghillie
03-20-2014, 02:55 PM
SO STOKED. I know where I'll be spending my time this year :) :)

B-rad
03-20-2014, 02:58 PM
I was hunting north of pinitan lake 2 years ago around hayas lake area with my ex wife and we seen 3 pigs(2 where black and white and 1 was tan and white,,,,but we kinda thought they somewhat free ranging,,,or just got outa pen,,,closest house was 20-25 min drive away,,,,,,,,,maybe they where feral pigs after all!!! I would hate to see one out there and shoot it if it was only one that got outa pen,,,,,next time I'm up there I'm gonna bang on some doors and see if anyone's pigs got out,,,,,if not,,,,then I have a general idea of possible ferals!!

mark
03-20-2014, 03:22 PM
I was hunting north of pinitan lake 2 years ago around hayas lake area with my ex wife and we seen 3 pigs(2 where black and white and 1 was tan and white,,,,but we kinda thought they somewhat free ranging,,,or just got outa pen,,,closest house was 20-25 min drive away,,,,,,,,,maybe they where feral pigs after all!!! I would hate to see one out there and shoot it if it was only one that got outa pen,,,,,next time I'm up there I'm gonna bang on some doors and see if anyone's pigs got out,,,,,if not,,,,then I have a general idea of possible ferals!!

it would be unwise for any pig farmers to free range their pigs from this day forward.

M.Dean
03-20-2014, 03:46 PM
I was hunting north of pinitan lake 2 years ago around hayas lake area with my ex wife and we seen 3 pigs(2 where black and white and 1 was tan and white,,,,but we kinda thought they somewhat free ranging,,,or just got outa pen,,,closest house was 20-25 min drive away,,,,,,,,,maybe they where feral pigs after all!!! I would hate to see one out there and shoot it if it was only one that got outa pen,,,,,next time I'm up there I'm gonna bang on some doors and see if anyone's pigs got out,,,,,if not,,,,then I have a general idea of possible ferals!! The only wild Pig's I've heard about up here were ours! Didn't know that Pig's were that smart? They watched how we kept unlocking the gate, then, when they wanted to go for a walk one would get his snout in between the gate and post, lift it up and off they'd go! Nice thing was, we used the Quad to haul there food, so as soon as they heard the Quad coming, you'd see 5 heads just'a run'in through the tall grass and a few times they beat us to the pen! There's some people down the Olde School House road that raise Pig's, that's fairly close to the Hyas turn off, maybe they had a few get out at one time, I'll ask and see if they did? As far as Feral Pig's go around here, there ain't any! Believe me, if there was, there would'a being a real big and loud Pig Roast, and I would have been there!

Chody
03-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Has anyone here ever seen a feral pig in BC? Not, I heard from my cousin, who heard from his best friend....someone who has actually laid eyes on one?

All those thousands of hours HBC members spend in the bush every year and I've never heard anyone claim to have seen one - but a bunch of members claim to have seen a sasquatch. Shows just how rare these pigs are.

I think the invasive turtles will be easier to find, at least then you could be fairly sure you'd have some soup.

spent 1000's of hours in the bush, seen sasquatch (or a good imposter in the middle of nowhere) never seen a pig or turkey.

bridger
03-20-2014, 04:32 PM

Feral pigs can be found in the peace near hudson hope and flatrock. Going to be fun.

carnivore
03-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Heyyyy! Maybe they should have feral pigs in the LEH draw and then everyone who enters would get a tag and would all feel like winners.:mrgreen:

GoatGuy
03-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Heyyyy! Maybe they should have feral pigs in the LEH draw and then everyone who enters would get a tag and would all feel like winners.:mrgreen:
Too many complaints about 'quality of hunt' lol.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
03-20-2014, 05:34 PM
There are not anywhere near as many feral pigs in Alberta as people (including many Albertans) believe there to be. People whom know where Hogs are located tend to keep tight-lipped about it. Of course, a low to non-existant population is a fine thing.

It's great to see Hogs listed as Schedule C in BC... I sincerely hope this helps to insure populations of Pigs do not take hold in the Province!

butcher
03-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Without a passpork? :mrgreen:

Now that's funny.

Stillhunting
03-20-2014, 06:53 PM
I saw several cross the road near Pink mtn. 10 years ago.

Gateholio
03-20-2014, 07:32 PM
So would BCWF insurance still cover ATV use while Schedule C hunting? :)

lovemywinchester
03-20-2014, 07:33 PM

I'm sure, next time, you'll let everyone know exactly where you saw them. Everyone. :wink:

skibum
03-20-2014, 07:44 PM
I was reading in a old bc outdoors article about the Harrison pigs. Something along the lines of they died off quickly or thought they would die off quickly as there were no acorns or food that readily suited them to eat.

Biologists were not too worried as not enough food to keep them going strong. Thought was predators would finish them off quickly. Anyways that was the jist of the article

Johnny G1
03-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Another biologist that don't know nothin about what a pig eats, they can survive on next to nothin and if it ain't on the top of the ground they will sure as hell dig and find enough to live on, tell me, we use to have hundred's of them when I was a kid on the farm, best sod turn over animal ever made.

kodimack
03-20-2014, 08:21 PM
I wonder if putting out buckets of teriyaki sauce is considered baiting? I like my pork marinated.

hunter fisher
03-20-2014, 08:49 PM
its good the government recognized the threat they pose before it becomes a big problem. they destroy crops in texas north of $400 million annually, not to mention all the surrounding states that are also infested

aggiehunter
03-20-2014, 09:15 PM
and the sooner we put feral horses on the list the better...mule deer are getting eatin out of house and home on the winter range here...

finaddict
03-20-2014, 09:40 PM
There is good pig hunting here on the island, just check out the bars.:mrgreen:Yep. There is a plaque in the Wheatie pub that say;

" Welcome to Cedar, where you don't lose your girlfriend, you just lose your turn"

:mrgreen:

M.Dean
03-20-2014, 09:45 PM
If there is Feral Pig's around these parts, anyone wonder how in hell they eat in the winter time? There's a bit of snow up Hyas way, about 4 feet or so, a pig's about 2 and a half feet tall, I don't think they can climb tree's, so eating pine needles all winters out, there's not any green grass up here for a good 4 or 5 month's, so, unless they can build Igloo's and shop at the Super Store for Veggie's in the 30 below temp's we get up here for a few weeks every winter, there's no Feral Pigs around here! Has anyone on this site seen a Feral Pig for real??? If so, was it close to a Farm or Ranch? If there is a Feral Pig in B.C. it'd have to live where there's food for it to eat year round, no? A Pig's not made to survive in our winters, anyone I know who has Pig's year round have heaters in there Pig houses. My buddy who lives just below me wintered 2 Pig's, I can see them from my front window, I watched them all winter, and the only time they came out of that Pig house in the cold weather was to eat and crap! There maybe Pig's running around close to our southern border where the winters aren't so bad, but I think a man would look long and hard to find one any farther North! I really wish there was wild Piggies around here, they make real good Pork Chops and Bacon!!!

BiG Boar
03-20-2014, 11:33 PM
I saw one last year on the way home from a hunt. We stopped to look at it. It looked like a regular pink pig but was running loose. Would this be okay to shoot?

Ringo 7MM
03-20-2014, 11:39 PM
I saw one last year on the way home from a hunt. We stopped to look at it. It looked like a regular pink pig but was running loose. Would this be okay to shoot?

Yes it would be.

Ringo 7MM
03-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Yep. There is a plaque in the Wheatie pub that say;

" Welcome to Cedar, where you don't lose your girlfriend, you just lose your turn"

I'm gona have to go visit that Pub in Cedar, and get in line early.

boxhitch
03-21-2014, 07:44 AM
It looked like a regular pink pig but was running loose. Would this be okay to shoot? Is there a time limit for the 'feral' label ?

Wonder if this whole issue is over domestic pinks that have escaped or Eurasian Wild Pigs that have been released ?

crazybushcreature
03-21-2014, 07:59 AM
A buddy just texted me and said he heard on the radio that we have some wild pigs in the lower mainland. Ive never seen any in my journeys has anyone else?

B-rad
03-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Never down there,,,,,but I seen 3 up here,,,not sure if they where feral or not,,,,possibly just got outa pen

bigcountry7
03-21-2014, 08:04 AM
Anybody in the okanagan seen any as well?

scottwh
03-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Havnt seen any in Kelowna area but was told there were a bunch in Christina Lk area. That was a while ago though. I guess their open game if you see one according to what I heard.

adamgarbett
03-21-2014, 08:17 AM
I can smell the spring bear and ferel pig bacon jalapeño Swiss smokies already 👍

GoatGuy
03-21-2014, 09:48 AM
This issue represents a significant risk to our ecosystems and wildlife populations. If you see one shoot it.

The is the same as the zebra and quagga mussels in the Okanagan. The government needs to man up and deal with this problem. If pigs take hold in BC hunters will not control them.

GoatGuy
03-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Is there a time limit for the 'feral' label ?

Wonder if this whole issue is over domestic pinks that have escaped or Eurasian Wild Pigs that have been released ?
Here ya go:

This is an update that amendments to place Feral Pigs (a pig of the genus Sus that is not in captivity or otherwise under a person’s control) on Schedule C of the Designation and Exemption Regulation of the Wildlife Act. Feral Pigs may be hunted anywhere and at any time. In order to hunt them a hunter requires a hunting licence (no species license required). Feral Pigs may not be possessed or transported live except for the previous owner, or an agent of the owner, for the purpose of recapture.

calvin L
03-21-2014, 10:00 AM
I have never seen one ! However I have friends that claim to have seen them around Christina lake !!!

Kudu
03-21-2014, 10:02 AM
If there is Feral Pig's around these parts, anyone wonder how in hell they eat in the winter time? There's a bit of snow up Hyas way, about 4 feet or so, a pig's about 2 and a half feet tall, I don't think they can climb tree's, so eating pine needles all winters out, there's not any green grass up here for a good 4 or 5 month's, so, unless they can build Igloo's and shop at the Super Store for Veggie's in the 30 below temp's we get up here for a few weeks every winter, there's no Feral Pigs around here! Has anyone on this site seen a Feral Pig for real??? I really wish there was wild Piggies around here, they make real good Pork Chops and Bacon!!!

Maybe we have that elusive 'Artic pig" here in BC - you know - the ones that look like polar bear's but only come in a shade of pink - it lives in the snow and eats nothing for months at a time......:-D :-D

The only place you are going to find wild hogs are in areas that don't get covered in 3 or 4 feet of snow, or hover around -10 for weeks on end.

Pigs are not furbearing animals, they don't hibernate in caves for winter, and they simply cannot live in those below freezing conditions....

thanks for pointing out the obvious Mdean - I'm amazed other could not figure it out.

Wild boar chops - smoked and BBQ'd are the best - wish we had a Texan climate!

GoatGuy
03-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Maybe we have that elusive 'Artic pig" here in BC - you know - the ones that look like polar bear's but only come in a shade of pink - it lives in the snow and eats nothing for months at a time......:-D :-D

The only place you are going to find wild hogs are in areas that don't get covered in 3 or 4 feet of snow, or hover around -10 for weeks on end.

Pigs are not furbearing animals, they don't hibernate in caves for winter, and they simply cannot live in those below freezing conditions....

thanks for pointing out the obvious Mdean - I'm amazed other could not figure it out.

Pretty sure food is the limiting factor, not temperature.

GoatGuy
03-21-2014, 10:21 AM
I have never seen one ! However I have friends that claim to have seen them around Christina lake !!!

Girls night out from just over the height of land to the east.

Machinist
03-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Article in Todays Province Pg A-18 , Says they are in The Lowermainland , Kamloops , Peace , Okanagan , Kootneys , Ministry of Forests Lands and Natural Resource says they have added them to a list that allows them to be hunted at anytime by anyone that holds a valid hunting licence.

high and to the right
03-21-2014, 11:37 AM
I've been to Buffets in most of these locations and I can affirm - there are a lot of Pigs at the trough. :mrgreen:

Wentrot
03-21-2014, 11:55 AM
http://www.missioncityrecord.com/news/251256391.html?mobile=true

Wiggle down to the comments section

stickjim
03-21-2014, 11:58 AM
heard that there were some around Savona

snow
03-21-2014, 12:08 PM
from the same article:
"In addition to feral pigs, the province has also reclassified European wall lizards and non-native turtles as Schedule C wildlife that can now be trapped or killed without a special permit."

Kapow
03-21-2014, 12:43 PM
My yellow lab got attacked by a wild pig, ended up getting rabies and died. It was really sad.

huntingfamily
03-21-2014, 12:57 PM
heard that there were some around Savona

I heard there are some around Lumby area also.

VDD Group Canada

speycaster
03-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Turtle soup mmmmm.

HarryToolips
03-21-2014, 02:00 PM
My yellow lab got attacked by a wild pig, ended up getting rabies and died. It was really sad.
Wow crappy..what area were you in??

M.Dean
03-21-2014, 02:14 PM
from the same article:
"In addition to feral pigs, the province has also reclassified European wall lizards and non-native turtles as Schedule C wildlife that can now be trapped or killed without a special permit."
:mrgreen: I'm amazed they don't have a minimum bullet size and weight that has to be used on the Wall Lizards, like they do with Buffalo! I hit one a few years ago three times with my 300 Win Mag loaded with 220 gr Barnes X solid points, the first bullet simply bounced off the thick part of his head, it came just'a scream'in in at me, so I fired twice more and the bullets didn't even phase him!!! I'll tell you, I'll never Hunt those bloody things with anything smaller than a 375, I think a 416 Rigby would kill one, but I'm not going back to find out!

huntcoop
03-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Province takes aim at feral pigs
Environment
Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:00 AM

VICTORIA - It is now legal for licensed hunters to harvest feral pigs anywhere in the province, under a new regulatory amendment designating the animal as "Schedule C" wildlife.

Feral pigs can cause significant damage to local ecosystems by competing with local wildlife for forage, damaging crops, uprooting native vegetation and eating the eggs of ground nesting birds. They can also be the source of infectious diseases and parasites which can be harmful to wildlife, livestock and human health.

Designating feral pigs as Schedule C under the Wildlife Act's Designation and Exemption Regulation will assist in reducing their numbers and also provide hunters an opportunity to harvest them that was not previously available. Feral pigs can be aggressive, and may pose a threat to the public or a hunter if they are wounded. Accordingly, the regulation requires anyone harvesting a feral pig to possess a valid hunting licence, to ensure only trained and certified hunters harvest feral pigs.

Feral pigs are invasive animals that have escaped farm environments and established themselves in the wild. Escaped swine have been reported in the Lower Mainland, Kamloops, Okanagan, Peace and Kootenay Regions. While there are not many feral pigs in British Columbia, this is a proactive measure since once established feral pigs are extremely hard to eradicate.

The regulatory amendment also designates European wall lizards and non-native turtles as Schedule C invasive species, removing the requirement to obtain a permit before trapping or killing these invasive species.

Media Contact:

Media Relations
Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
250 356-5261

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/03/p ... -pigs.html (http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/03/province-takes-aim-at-feral-pigs.html)

Mikey Rafiki
03-21-2014, 02:34 PM
So why don't they set up a "report a pig" hotline and make an online map that can be viewed by the public to go out and kill these things?

All I see is people asking where they can find these little *******s.

jtred
03-21-2014, 02:36 PM
For the most part domestic pigs gone feral would have difficulty in the more northerly regions of BC however the southern areas could very easily support and overwinter pigs. If the european/Russian wild boar were ever released it would/could be an environmental nightmare as they are very well equipped to survive our winters.

Gateholio
03-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Pigs will adapt, grow hair and expand thier turf north. Lots of places in the eastern US also have cold winters, but they have feral pigs too.

Mulehahn
03-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Pigs will adapt, grow hair and expand thier turf north. Lots of places in the eastern US also have cold winters, but they have feral pigs too.

Too expand, there are large populations of feral pigs in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and growing in Alberta. For the most part in an average year they have colder and deeper snow then most parts of BC and this does nothing to slow the spread of pigs. Granted, these are most derived from ones escaped from game ranches so are used to the cold but the population is quite large near Edmonton and growing. Further pigs near calgary have been traced back to Saskatchewan so they migrate effectively.

TexasWalker
03-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Ahh yes the phantom pigs,everybody knows a guy who saw one,some even claim to have laid eyes on one themselves.

Nary a picture has been produced,no pigs on trail cams etc.

Maybe they are sasquatch pigs?

Kudu
03-21-2014, 03:30 PM
For the most part domestic pigs gone feral would have difficulty in the more northerly regions of BC however the southern areas could very easily support and overwinter pigs. If the european/Russian wild boar were ever released it would/could be an environmental nightmare as they are very well equipped to survive our winters.

OK - So where are they then?

there is a huge difference between a European / Russian hog and "feral pig" - please don't get the two mixed up!

Ringo 7MM
03-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Ahh yes the phantom pigs,everybody knows a guy who saw one,some even claim to have laid eyes on one themselves.

Nary a picture has been produced,no pigs on trail cams etc.

They are Bob Loblaw's pigs.

Gateholio
03-21-2014, 04:44 PM

there is a huge difference between a European / Russian hog and "feral pig" - please don't get the two mixed up!

I've killed Russian boars and raised pigs so I'm pretty sure I know the difference.

Feral pigs are in cold states like michigan, Maine, NY. And there are some I. The prairie provinces too, enough for various wildlife managers to raise a concern. On this thread Bridger mentioned some in northern BC and while I've never seen one, he is a credible person.

srupp
03-21-2014, 04:45 PM
hmmm found out there is a small? amount of feral hogs west of Williams Lake also....yummm

steven

Beachcomber
03-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Cold weather does not seem to be an issue, nor does snow. Anyway, they are moving west. Just wait...

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/03/26/albertas-wild-boar-invasion-widening-says-top-exterminator

ru rancher
03-21-2014, 05:06 PM
hmmm found out there is a small? amount of feral hogs west of Williams Lake also....yummm

steven
really?!? now im interested haha

pnbrock
03-21-2014, 05:09 PM
C'mon tulips you have had to see that movie!!!!i cry everytime

squirrely
03-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Where are the pigs?? I need to know!!
lol

Papa Sasquatch
03-21-2014, 05:21 PM
I don't understand why "Amanda" would suggest replacing the word Pig with human. Eating humans is a despicable idea even with apple sauce!.

Surrey Boy
03-21-2014, 05:43 PM
What defines "feral" as opposed to "escaped" or "loose"?

Surrey Boy
03-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Is a greased hog loose in an educational institution covered by this?

Stresd
03-21-2014, 05:52 PM
What defines "feral" as opposed to "escaped" or "loose"?

Feral animal Is descended from domestic critters, but now living in the wild. Reverted to the wild state. (had an ex that did that):wink:

Wrayzer
03-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Feral animal Is descended from domestic critters, but now living in the wild. Reverted to the wild state. (had an ex that did that):wink:

Hopefully this diagram can help people out aswell.

http://jpegy.com/images/uploads/2012/12/Will-Ferrell-Will-Domesticated.jpg

steel_ram
03-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Can't imagine they'd be gooding eating, but then some eat coyotes and wormy bears. But we should kill'em just fr what the did to o'l Yellar.

srupp
03-21-2014, 06:29 PM
hmmm read a bunch on this a while back..with the epidemic explosion in the USA...aand that it doesn't take long for domesticated hogs once escaped or freed to revert to a wild state..growth of hair..tail hair changes...pretty quickly..If I recall well under 30 days to see a discernible physical change..

Going to go this spring to an area that some have been harvested West of the Pond..

srupp

Salty
03-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Pigs can't survive in cold weather? Not sure where that one came from but its false. I knew lots of people including family that kept pigs in Prince George and this is back in the 70s when stretches of 40 below and worse happened every winter for weeks some times. They had a bit of a hut with open sides that the wind whistled through and sure as hell no heat. Like Gate says they'll adapt big time I remember one old boar kept as kind of a lark for quite a few years that got humungous with quite long hair and big ass tusks was mean as hell too.

Walking Buffalo
03-21-2014, 09:40 PM

What is the huge difference between a European / Russian hog and "feral pig"? :confused:

Regardless of the breed, a Feral hog is "a pig of the genus Sus that is not in captivity or otherwise under a person’s control".

There are not anywhere near as many feral pigs in Alberta as people (including many Albertans) believe there to be. People whom know where Hogs are located tend to keep tight-lipped about it. Of course, a low to non-existant population is a fine thing.

It's great to see Hogs listed as Schedule C in BC... I sincerely hope this helps to insure populations of Pigs do not take hold in the Province!

It's the other way around in Alberta. There are more Feral hogs in Alberta than are recognized by the hunting community and the Government. A new Pig eradication strategy is nearly complete, which will include professional trappers/hunters.

rides bike to work
03-21-2014, 11:19 PM
I have seen a wild boar.a family friend ours shot one about 16 years ago we went to his place and helped butcher it.it was black with big tusks my dad has a picture with it on a scale at over 300 pounds.they gave us a couple roasts and they were delicious.I called him a couple years back and he told me were he got it but when I tried to go there it was gated down low on the mountain.And he had told me he got it up high in the summer.it was in the lowermainland area

huff
03-21-2014, 11:42 PM
I've been to Buffets in most of these locations and I can affirm - there are a lot of Pigs at the trough. :mrgreen:

Oh! you mean the Liberal leadership conventions...

Ringo 7MM
03-21-2014, 11:56 PM

Crossing the border without a Passpork? What do they think they are.

edgy
03-22-2014, 07:25 AM
There have been reports of feral hogs around Harrison Lake for as long as I can remember, I have never seen one myself, but know 2 buddies who have seen them on more than one occasion . As a matter of fact, just last year we were discussing the possibility of getting a permit to hunt them, but never had the chance to look into it, lol, now we can go get em!

andrewscag
03-22-2014, 07:25 AM
It makes no sense to breed them for canned hunts. Escape is inevitable. Seems like shutting that down would be a reasonable start

finngun
03-22-2014, 09:45 AM
jep shoot the porkys....leave carcasses for wolves-bears-coyotes to eat.....save deer--elk--moose..etc..:mrgreen:
bellies full,,they don't need to hunt:wink:

Phreddy
03-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaannnn nnnnnnnnnnn!

without a passpork? :mrgreen:

Phreddy
03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
When I lived in Abbotsford, I had a friend who hunted them successfully up the Chilliwack River area. That was in the '80's. Had a few feeds of one of them and they were some tasty I'll tell you. Never seen one myself, but I can assure you they are there. Don't think we have any around the Princeton area. (sniff)

lip_ripper00
03-22-2014, 10:13 AM
their is a large population in the lower mainland, but they are up high, hard too reach places. This and the fact they are a favorite food of the sasquatch they are pretty much kept in check

Fred1
03-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Porkies!??!?!? Dang gum, Im gonna get a me a heli and a pile of dem AR's and set me up bonerfied Heli Hoggin operation!! Tell me dat aint fun huh Billy-Bob!?!?! YEEEEEEEHHAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!

Billyisgr8
03-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Sicamous closer to malakwa on the old cambie forestry road up Owlshead mtn. I have seen 5 - 8 pigs in a group 3 years ago. I have wondered about them many times. Word in town is that a farmer was going to have his heard taken for some reason by the ministry, so he let them go into the bushes instead. Now I have reason to go back to that side of the mountain. Bacon...yum..yum...

Pigs are here

50°52'56.68"N 118°52'35.00"W

Now I can't wait to get back out

hoocli
03-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Mark down any sightings at wildboarcanada.ca (http://wildboarcanada.ca) or your kills.

KodiakHntr
03-22-2014, 12:08 PM
PFairly positive that the domestic hogs I have out back have grown a bunch of hair this winter, and haven't stopped rooting under 4' of snow and down through 10" of frozen soil. I'd have zero doubt they'd survive anywhere if they can make it in FSJ.

Ringo 7MM
03-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaannnn nnnnnnnnnnn!

I thought it was a good one, thought of it all by myself. :mrgreen:

Loris1993
03-22-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm amazed they don't have a minimum bullet size and weight that has to be used on the Wall Lizards, like they do with Buffalo! I hit one a few years ago three times with my 300 Win Mag loaded with 220 gr Barnes X solid points, the first bullet simply bounced off the thick part of his head, it came just'a scream'in in at me, so I fired twice more and the bullets didn't even phase him!!! I'll tell you, I'll never Hunt those bloody things with anything smaller than a 375, I think a 416 Rigby would kill one, but I'm not going back to find out!

Thanks for the laugh. That was good!

cooter303
03-22-2014, 03:49 PM
i heard of a guy shooting a "wild hog" north of Mackenzie in the 90's. he broke truck broke down soon after and he hitched a ride to town with a local who lived out there near where he shot the hog. turns out his wild hog belonged to the guy who was giving him the ride to town. he lost his hunting privileges for awhile .

two-feet
03-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Wild boar live in Siberia. Siberia = cold. Think they will do alright here.

We obviously need to transplant tigers, and maybe lions, into BC to keep the hogs in check.

xcaribooer
03-22-2014, 08:34 PM
one more thing I can add to my IF I ever see one -SHOOT IT! list, wolves sasquatches and now wild pigs. wolves cause the're bad, pigs cause they taste good and sasquatch cause id be famous!
I do know a fellow in Clinton that shot one(feral pig not sasquatch) with a bow just outside of town a couple years ago.

Wackman
03-22-2014, 10:09 PM

I used to raise European wild boar for some good lean meat up in Quesnel. Don't be mistaken, these were some incredibly hardy buggers and DID grow long hair in the winter.

Ringo 7MM
03-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Wild boar live in Siberia. Siberia = cold. Think they will do alright here.

We obviously need to transplant tigers, and maybe lions, into BC to keep the hogs in check.

We already have Lions.

Richardj
03-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Saw one 3 years ago at Christina Lake, feeding on a deer carcass. Reported to the CO. They weren't interested. Heard of more seen around there.

300H&H
03-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Turkeys are invasive too , but I don't see them on the list.

Could be because they do not destroy the ecosystem.

300H&H
03-23-2014, 09:30 AM
We already have Lions.

Ya...but they suck at football....bring back Joe Paopao

300H&H
03-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Mark down any sightings at wildboarcanada.ca (http://wildboarcanada.ca) or your kills.

It shows that one was spotted yesterday around Vernon...here piggy piggy

REMINGTON JIM
03-23-2014, 09:35 AM
It shows that one was spotted yesterday around Vernon...here piggy piggy

Yea But that one had LIPSTICK on ! :wink: RJ

BCKyle
03-23-2014, 09:40 AM

'Saskhuogs'. Those things are worth a lot of money.

BCKyle
03-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Yea But that one had LIPSTICK on ! :wink: RJ

BAHAHA! Ok I think someone's poking a bit of fun with that one... if you zoom way in the Vernon one was sighted right next to the Rythmic Gymnastics Club...

It's funny... but I hope that site doesn't get sidetracked with that stuff too much. I'd hate to see those hogs start doing what they're doing in Texas up here. If I spotted one I'd be bringing the bacon and chops...

Redneck Rocket
03-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Don't need to look too far South to see the potential pigs have to change an ecosystem. Pigs are often touted as being one of the most adaptable species on the planet, being able to subside on pretty much anything. I lived in Florida for 2 years and they estimated the feral pig population there at 500,000. Texas has huge problems with them, they can be extremely destructive to crop-land. In citrus groves in Florida, if they got in, they could destroy the groves virtually overnight, digging for food and disturbing the roots of the trees.

They are also present (although different species) in parts of Northern & Central Asia where it gets seriously cold in the winter, so I have no doubt they can adapt to living in BC if they are given a chance.

I'd bet there aren't many out there but the aim with this policy is to try and stop them even getting a sniff of getting started.

M.Dean
03-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Well, after hours and pain staking hours researching Pig's and weather they can survive in real cold temp's, I stand to be corrected! Pig's can live in cold conditions, what in hell they'd eat is still a mystery to me, but they can make it through a cold, northern B.C. winter! Seems I was misguided by basing all my "Piggy" info on Fred Ziffel's Pig, Arnold from the series "Green Acres"! Arnold lived in the house,he only went outside to take a crap! So it's not all my fault!!! Pig's can live in cold temperatures!!! There, I said it again! A lot of the blame here can be directed towards Eddie and Eva, mainly Eva, I was young, kept trying to look up her dress instead of taking notes on how Arnold coped with the chilly night air!!! So, again, I was wrong about Piggies and how well they can survive the cold!

Cookie1965
03-23-2014, 05:16 PM
According to http://wildboarcanada.ca/#sthash.z9Q0Yczw.dpbs there was a kill reported just south of Castlegar about 13 minutes ago

J_T
03-23-2014, 06:17 PM
For what it's worth, I raised pigs for a few years a while back. Used to trade for beef, chickens, fish etc. At that time, a number of my bowhunting buddies would head over to Alberta to hunt wild pigs. What I learned from that, is that the best eating pig is one that keeps his nose in the apple slop, corn and cantelope, and isn't running around worried about survival. Those pigs the boys arrowed, tasted like $hit.

boxhitch
03-23-2014, 06:28 PM
BAHAHA! Ok I think someone's poking a bit of fun with that one... if you zoom way in the Vernon one was sighted right next to the Rythmic Gymnastics Club... Plausible . A friend back in the 80's lived between there and the Lodge City Disco , and had an outside access to his basement bedroom. He used it for the 2 a.m. beauties that he was too embarrassed to bring in the front door , which was frequent. ) RIP Dale

TexasWalker
03-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Yaaaawwwnnnn,everybody has a story but no pictures??

Ringo 7MM
03-24-2014, 01:47 PM

What no story or pics from you Bob Loblaw?

skibum
03-24-2014, 02:28 PM

No, I have a buddy who saw a picture, from someone who heard from someones cousin that they saw one and will I will post the pictures once he emails them to me.

M.Dean
03-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Yaaaawwwnnnn,everybody has a story but no pictures?? Hey, I seen 5 Pig's up here last year! Yes, Five!!! I got two with my Ruger Mini 14, first one, no problem, waited until he started to feed, gave it a pop just above the eyes, didn't even scream! Second one, well you had to be there! Was just squeezing the trigger, I was leaning over the fence, rifle in one hand, cane in the other, when I pulled the trigger the dam thing lifted his head up just a bit, bullet didn't hit the brain, and all hell broke lose! My buddy was going to jump on it with his Pig Stabber, I told him get back, and I fired again, and we had two Pig's down!!! We got five that day, but the other ones just fell down dead, not much of a story there! We plan on Hunting them again this fall, but this year were planning on shooting about ten!!! I'll get some pictures of our "Spot and Stock Pig Hunt" this fall!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
03-24-2014, 04:24 PM

I had a pic sent to me a couple yrs ago with some houndsmen and a dead european wild boar in the Christina Lk area. Pic is loooong gone.....of course.

SSS

OutWest
03-24-2014, 05:16 PM
I had a pic sent to me a couple yrs ago with some houndsmen and a dead european wild boar in the Christina Lk area. Pic is loooong gone.....of course.

SSS

x2. Saw our first ones turkey hunting in Christina Lake about 3-4 years ago. Seems like sightings are becoming common occurrence around there now.

Rupert Retired
03-24-2014, 05:53 PM
I'm already developing a call - Sooweeee!!

goatdancer
03-24-2014, 06:00 PM
A report today in the Kelowna Courier indicated that a guy out for a walk on Dilworth Mountain ran across one very recently. Since most of Kelowna is off limits to hunting, the CO said the pig was probably safe.

keoke
03-24-2014, 06:34 PM
At least we are not over run with them like in the south. This is my wife's cousin haul in florida, they trap them down there.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1395141_10151969304136167_2083011165_n.jpg

dennisb370
03-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the laugh. That was good!
I haven`t laughed that hard for a while Thanks

M.Dean
03-27-2014, 06:52 AM
I was hunting north of pinitan lake 2 years ago around hayas lake area with my ex wife and we seen 3 pigs(2 where black and white and 1 was tan and white,,,,but we kinda thought they somewhat free ranging,,,or just got outa pen,,,closest house was 20-25 min drive away,,,,,,,,,maybe they where feral pigs after all!!! I would hate to see one out there and shoot it if it was only one that got outa pen,,,,,next time I'm up there I'm gonna bang on some doors and see if anyone's pigs got out,,,,,if not,,,,then I have a general idea of possible ferals!! I was talking to a buddy yesterday about Feral Pigs in and around the Hyas lake area, he said the same thing as I did, how in hell can they live under 6 feet of snow all winter? I told him about someone seeing Feral Pigs up Hyas way, running around wild, he laughed and said those are my friends Pig's, they run all around his farm, just like any other farm animal and they come back each night right at supper time to eat and sleep in his barn! So, if your out Feral Pig hunting, and your driving through a area where theirs houses or a barn, or just general sign that you maybe close to a Ranch or Farm, I don't think shooting someones Pigs on there property will turn out the way you expected! If your driving down some country lane, and there in a clearing are two or three Pigs root'in around, make bloody sure there's not a Farm house just around the bend, not only is that dangerous, it's illegal to fire a Gun any where near a house, I can't remember the exact distance, I think a quarter mile? I bet theirs going to be a few problems with our new " Take home the Bacon" laws! I think a guy should take B-rads advise and bang on a few doors before shooting any Pig's in a Farming area, if there is a problem with Feral Pig's, who knows, the Farmer might tell you where they are, and if there on his property he may let you go shoot a few! Good Luck!

squamishhunter
03-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Anyone else heard the rumor of feral pigs around lillooet area?

biggyun68
03-28-2014, 11:20 AM
A buddy just texted me and said he heard on the radio that we have some wild pigs in the lower mainland. Ive never seen any in my journeys has anyone else?

Have you looked in the Cobalt or Biltmore Hotel's bar?

Oliver2780
04-03-2014, 11:52 PM
So has anyone got a bead on where to hunt pigs?

TexasWalker
04-04-2014, 02:09 AM
He said she said blah blah blah
there are no wild pigs it's a fairy tale
everybodies cousins neighbor shot one but there isn't one pic!
No phantom pigs on trail cams!

Its BS!!

Oliver2780
04-04-2014, 08:52 AM
The lack of pics is strange to me! Sad, guess I'm gonna have to head east to hunt 'em!

bc-toy
04-08-2014, 02:42 PM
I saw one on march 29, 2014 in chilliwack just off the chilliwack lk road up chipmunk creek. It was directly across from the new chipmunk creek bc rec staging area. I hadn't been up there in a few years so three of us went up there for a drive. It was on an old side road and when we saw it we drove in after it not knowing what it was exactly and it ran around a pile of brush. When we came around the pile it took off through the bush towards the main road and we lost it. It was pure black and about the size of a coyote with skinny legs and I couldnt see a tail. So when I got home I googled feral pig and its was exactly what I saw. Shitty I didnt have time to get a pic as we were to excited just seeing wildlife out there. Anyway thats my story and I now believe they do exist!

Oliver2780
04-15-2014, 10:59 PM
Go to www.wildboarcanada.ca and mark the location of your sighting.

Ringo 7MM
04-16-2014, 12:15 AM
He said she said blah blah blah
there are no wild pigs it's a fairy tale
everybodies cousins neighbor shot one but there isn't one pic!
No phantom pigs on trail cams!

Its BS!!

Hey, Bob Loblaw the pigs are everywhere, you have to open your eyes, open your mind, and you will see bacon for miles and miles and miles..........

czechsanchez
04-23-2014, 12:13 AM
I love all the rednecks losing their shit about the pigs being a myth.

Why are isolated populations of escaped pigs so implausible? The things go full on razorback mode in like 2-3 generations and breed like rabbits.

They're made schedule C so you can pop some rounds in to them if you see one and have the opportunity to kill it. Its not as if they're declaring some kind of common thing.

Scrody
04-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Go to www.wildboarcanada.ca (http://www.wildboarcanada.ca) and mark the location of your sighting.

I saw one on march 29, 2014 in chilliwack just off the chilliwack lk road up chipmunk creek. It was directly across from the new chipmunk creek bc rec staging area. I hadn't been up there in a few years so three of us went up there for a drive. It was on an old side road and when we saw it we drove in after it not knowing what it was exactly and it ran around a pile of brush. When we came around the pile it took off through the bush towards the main road and we lost it. It was pure black and about the size of a coyote with skinny legs and I couldnt see a tail. So when I got home I googled feral pig and its was exactly what I saw. Shitty I didnt have time to get a pic as we were to excited just seeing wildlife out there. Anyway thats my story and I now believe they do exist!

That's worth a drive for me, I'm just up the road.