PDA

View Full Version : The new LEH synopsys is out.

BiG Boar
03-19-2014, 03:51 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/leh_14_15.pdf

Please discuss.

I see shared bison draws so far, and a spences bridge LEH for hopefully broomed rams.

Colinofthewoods
03-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Alright, I know what i'll be staring for the next while.

crazy green colour.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
03-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Cool thanks

coach
03-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Big Boar! I know a lot of people have been waiting for this.. New Sheep LEH for the Kamloops herd as well. Likely a couple of gaggers will be taken!

HCH
03-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Cool. Just downloading now. Super excited...

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
03-19-2014, 04:04 PM
I think the special sheep draw should be limited to 10 draws each to give everyone a fair chance? What to you think sheep guys? Maybe up the price a little so we don't shoot are selfs in the foot so we can still raise money?

Colinofthewoods
03-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Whats up with 30 ewe tags for kamloops lake ?

luckofthedraw
03-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks. I've been impatiently waiting.

Dusty Roads
03-19-2014, 04:16 PM
And the games begin!

Rackem
03-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Got the text from the gov at 3pm today...excited! LEH application are due at the Victoria address by
4:30 pm Friday May 23, 2014

albravo2
03-19-2014, 05:05 PM
I can't decide between lotto 6/49 and squamish valley elk... odds depressingly similar

375 ultramag
03-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Right on thanks

coach
03-19-2014, 05:06 PM

I'm sure the sheep guys can fill us in - but I'd assume there comes a point when the herd gets too big for it's own good..

Click to view video
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/Kamloops%20sheep%20videos/th_TheHerdabovethelake.jpg (http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/Kamloops%20sheep%20videos/TheHerdabovethelake.mp4)

ru rancher
03-19-2014, 05:46 PM
i got a question i see there is a spencis bridge draw now but then i go to the regulations site and it still says that that area is open for matures do you think this season will stay open?

gutpile
03-19-2014, 05:50 PM
how come i can't log on to the site ?

mike-juliet
03-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Everyone might as well just skip over the Pitt River Elk Draw, I got dibs on that one already.

Blainer
03-19-2014, 06:23 PM
i got a question i see there is a spencis bridge draw now but then i go to the regulations site and it still says that that area is open for matures do you think this season will stay open?I would assume yes. The leh is an opportunity to take an older broomed ram.

rcar
03-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Nice to see some new opportunities however many of the odds for previous hunts are much harder than years past.

hunter fisher
03-19-2014, 06:29 PM
great news!

mfarrally
03-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Ya I definitely don't know the science behind these things, but why would you kill 30 ewes or lambs in an area that has a "limited supply" of sheep.

dana
03-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Ya I definitely don't know the science behind these things, but why would you kill 30 ewes or lambs in an area that has a "limited supply" of sheep.

Because if you don't that herd will collapse. I would guess that they are above capacity. Many of the ewes are not carrying lambs to term and that isn't a result of not enough breeding rams. I personally observed a ewe group of 40-50 ewes with no lamb in the bunch meanwhile up in the escape terrain I saw about 30 each with a lamb that was a couple of weeks old. Something is wrong there. I would guess the increased ewe tags are trying to address that problem.

yama49
03-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Because if you don't that herd will collapse. I would guess that they are above capacity. Many of the ewes are not carrying lambs to term and that isn't a result of not enough breeding rams. I personally observed a ewe group of 40-50 ewes with no lamb in the bunch meanwhile up in the escape terrain I saw about 30 each with a lamb that was a couple of weeks old. Something is wrong there. I would guess the increased ewe tags are trying to address that problem.

Thats what was said @ wss this weekend

mfarrally
03-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Very interesting. Did they say at the wild sheep banquet what they thought might be the cause?

EvanG
03-19-2014, 07:53 PM
I Would rather see some of those ewes and lambs used to rebuild other depressed herds in the province, Im sure the junction would benefit from a transplant

moosinaround
03-19-2014, 07:54 PM
I Would rather see some of those ewes and lambs used to rebuild other depressed herds in the province, Im sure the junction would benefit from a transplant
bet the funding isn't there for a project like that? Just spitballing! Moosin

Rupert Retired
03-19-2014, 08:11 PM
I think I will put in for sheep, Kamloops Lake, 1496:1 odds. Hey, it only takes one to get lucky!

BCbillies
03-19-2014, 08:21 PM
I think I will put in for sheep, Kamloops Lake, 1496:1 odds. Hey, it only takes one to get lucky!

That's a long drive from Rupert . . . you sure you want to spend that kind of time and money on a sheep? I hear they taste like the sage (not so good)!

If you get the draw you can bunk at my place provided I can hunt with you! ;)

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
03-19-2014, 08:49 PM

Not sure but you could spread the problem? The reason for the cull...

B-rad
03-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Woooohoooo,,,so stoked,,,,got me my numbers picked,,,,all in the roll of the dice lol

two-feet
03-19-2014, 09:14 PM
When was the results posted last year? Cant remember.

HarryToolips
03-19-2014, 09:55 PM
When was the results posted last year? Cant remember.
Early July?? I think

ru rancher
03-19-2014, 10:03 PM
i thought it was ushually mid june i always remeber talking about it at one of my cousins birthdays just if i could remeber witch one but i belive june some time haha

pg83
03-19-2014, 10:24 PM
Don't get excited until mid June.

Bear Brawler
03-19-2014, 11:59 PM
With a spring Grizz tag already in hand, if I get another 1-2 LEH this fall I'll be in for one hell of a year! Good luck every body!

f350ps
03-20-2014, 07:00 AM
It's sure nice to see that they fixed the lack of Moose problem in Reg.5 finally, 937 Bull draws in just 5-01 and 5-02. Thank christ that's all behind us! K

luckofthedraw
03-20-2014, 10:02 AM

Is this the draw that recently sold for 30,000$ or something like that.

papaken
03-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Should be better odds for the 2000 antlerless elk in 7-20 A.

Swamp mule
03-20-2014, 11:24 AM
I noticed for the sheep draw that the one last year for the Chasm area is not there this year. Hmmmmm can only wonder about that knowing that there is a considerable amount of sheep present there.

boxhitch
03-20-2014, 12:14 PM
can only wonder about that knowing that there WAS a considerable amount of sheep present there.fixed it for you , herd is down to ~ 25 ewes

russm
03-20-2014, 12:20 PM
So they have to be in Victoria by May 23, and we expect it to be drawn by the middle of June, somehow I do t think it's only going to take 3 weeks to get the results out, expect it to be done by September.

ducktoller
03-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Is this the draw that recently sold for 30,000$ or something like that.

Is this even close to legal, because if it is I would give that hunt up in a heartbeat for 30,000. Could still pay 10-15k for a guided hunt, and knock off my student loans.

markomoose
03-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Only want a moose draw or island elk.Is that too much to ask??

russm
03-20-2014, 07:47 PM
I'll be happy with a mulie doe, I've gotta break the rut I'm in!

bridger
03-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Is this even close to legal, because if it is I would give that hunt up in a heartbeat for 30,000. Could still pay 10-15k for a guided hunt, and knock off my student loans.

No it isn't legal

butcher
03-20-2014, 07:53 PM

Ummm..... No it doesn't quite work that way.

r106
03-20-2014, 07:53 PM
So they have to be in Victoria by May 23, and we expect it to be drawn by the middle of June, somehow I do t think it's only going to take 3 weeks to get the results out, expect it to be done by September.

we could help them out by not mailing them off last minute like so many people do, including myself.

Blainer
03-23-2014, 08:10 AM
we could help them out by not mailing them off last minute like so many people do, including myself.Already mailed.
I wonder how many apply for every species avail?

Witko
03-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Sheesh! Another slew of maps and tables and regs and deadlines and fees. Wee bit daunting for a newb! Well, I've been told that getting an island Elk is a once-in-a-lifetime thing so probably a good place to start.

300H&H
03-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Thanks, Big Boar! I know a lot of people have been waiting for this.. New Sheep LEH for the Kamloops herd as well. Likely a couple of gaggers will be taken!

That's the draw I will be getting this year...now if I only had someone who could video it....hummmm I wonder who ? Cody Robins perhaps or maybe ???

panhead
03-23-2014, 12:07 PM
It's sure nice to see that they fixed the lack of Moose problem in Reg.5 finally, 937 Bull draws in just 5-01 and 5-02. Thank christ that's all behind us! K

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Don't think it matters how mant draws they give out up there, from what I've seen there's nothing to shoot at. Sad.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
Don’t climax yet. It gets better.

Steelpulse
03-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Last year the draw was july 2nd im pretty sure? Was it not that late?

luckofthedraw
03-30-2014, 01:20 PM

I havent spent time hunting region 5 but I have been looking it over this morning. How can they put out such high tentative numbers in this region ? Doing a quick count of 5-15 alone, they release about 200 bulls between sept - nov.

ru rancher
03-30-2014, 01:26 PM
I havent spent time hunting region 5 but I have been looking it over this morning. How can they put out such high tentative numbers in this region ? Doing a quick count of 5-15 alone, they release about 200 bulls between sept - nov.
plenty of moose in region 5 in areas that are a decent ways from an indian reserve closer you get to the reserve the fewer the moose through my experiance. also in 5-15 they are trying to drasticly decrese the moose population to try and help the strugling mountian caribou there are toons of moose in 5-15 but its also a very limited access region the raeson there trying to decrese the moose there is to limit the food for the wolves to decrese there population the idea behind it is that sure the wolve may mostly be looking for moose but if there numbers are really high they will also get the caribou

luckofthedraw
03-30-2014, 01:37 PM
plenty of moose in region 5 in areas that are a decent ways from an indian reserve closer you get to the reserve the fewer the moose through my experiance. also in 5-15 they are trying to drasticly decrese the moose population to try and help the strugling mountian caribou there are toons of moose in 5-15 but its also a very limited access region the raeson there trying to decrese the moose there is to limit the food for the wolves to decrese there population the idea behind it is that sure the wolve may mostly be looking for moose but if there numbers are really high they will also get the caribou

Thanks. This must be the same for most of region 5 by the looks of it. Makes you wonder what the sucsess rate is with that many numbers being released.

f350ps
03-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Okay thanks , it all makes sense now, there's must be no reserves in 5-01 and 5-02 hence the huge numbers of draws? Why didn't I think of that!!! K

Darksith
03-30-2014, 04:22 PM
fixed it for you , herd is down to ~ 25 ewes

what happened?

bruin
03-30-2014, 05:57 PM
what happened?

No absolute conclusions yet but all signs point toward contact with domestic sheep. It is an ongoing, high profile project., ground breaking in a lot of ways. We got a good update at the wild sheep convention 2 weeks ago from Jeremy Ayott. Hopefully we will be feeding more news through WSSBC magazine and website.

bruin
03-30-2014, 06:03 PM
I think the special sheep draw should be limited to 10 draws each to give everyone a fair chance? What to you think sheep guys? Maybe up the price a little so we don't shoot are selfs in the foot so we can still raise money?

Limit tickets to increase revenue? Increase ticket price and risk excluding people with less $? Could be a slippery slope. I'd rather see 2 draws, one for bighorn, one for thinhorn.

bruin
03-30-2014, 06:07 PM
i got a question i see there is a spencis bridge draw now but then i go to the regulations site and it still says that that area is open for matures do you think this season will stay open?

The hope is that a few of the older broomed rams that will never reach full curl (and will never be legal under GOS) will be taken under these tags. It's a tough one because the tag holder may not choose to be selective and will harvest younger rams that have not had an opportunity to grow and breed. It's in our hands to some extent.

bruin
03-30-2014, 06:11 PM

When a population passes carrying capacity for their area there is a greater risk of disease and sickness as well as environmental conditions like a bad winter could lead to catastrophic die off of a herd.
I don't think there's much point in attempting to re-populate the Junction until it's discovered what is causing the dieoff. We could just be spending $ feeding wolves or parasites with healthy sheep.

bruin
03-30-2014, 06:17 PM

Its a tight fit between spring inventories and hunting season. They've got lots to do between general reg changes this year, inventory, setting Leh #'s and issuing the synopsis, plus all the other stuff like consultation. We have to have a little patience with the gov't guys, they're strapped for $ and short on time!

ru rancher
03-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Okay thanks , it all makes sense now, there's must be no reserves in 5-01 and 5-02 hence the huge numbers of draws? Why didn't I think of that!!! K
you obviously have never hunted region 5 much eh? for starters 5-2 is a massive sub region it covers a huge amount of area so maybe look at the map before you post something stupid and dont know what your talking about!! also sure there are reserves on them but they are alot smaller and for the most part there in the areas that there isnt the magority of the moose like i had said in my post! also would say success rates are decent but i wouldnt say they are outstanding in 5-2 i do know people that live here and they didnt fill there tag but if your willing to pack a moose out from along ways then im sure you would have success in this region

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
03-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Limit tickets to increase revenue? Increase ticket price and risk excluding people with less $? Could be a slippery slope. I'd rather see 2 draws, one for bighorn, one for thinhorn.

2500 sheep hunters last? year if we made the draw so you could not buy it I think we could generate more $$$ ? Maybe the average sheep hunter would spend more then just 16$

boxhitch
03-30-2014, 08:00 PM

3-17 C: Harvest opportunities in the current GOS at Spence's Bridge, particularly on older rams, were restricted in 2012 by eliminating the age criteria portion of the previous regulation. This LEH hunt is proposed to increase sheep hunting opportunity, especially for older rams, and to restore opportunity to previous levels without the challenges associated with managing sheep through GOS on horn curl and age restrictions. The LEH hunt will maintain some opportunity to harvest older broomed rams that do not meet the horn curl restriction with GOS.The GOS is on thin ice , if enforcement issues keep coming up it could disappear . No problems from last year , lets hope it stays that way .
Threats of and actual litigation over short sheep could be enough to kill it for everyone.

boxhitch
03-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Ya I definitely don't know the science behind these things, but why would you kill 30 ewes or lambs in an area that has a "limited supply" of sheep.the 'limited supply' doesn't apply to the whole region. MU's can be handled differently.

3-29C and D: Both lambs and ewes need to be managed when sheep population densities become high. Estimated sheep densities in spring 2013 by zone were 1.8 and 13.9 sheep/km² for 3-29C & D, respectively. There has been significant effort to capture and translocate sheep in proposed zone D to manage sheep density at healthy level. However, it has become increasingly difficult to find acceptable release sites in the province. Based on the number of applicants (2010-12 average of 238 applicants applying for 5 licenses annually) that apply for LEH ewe hunts in the region in recent years, there appears to be demand. Sheep populations in this area have been trending upward in recent years. Currently there are 425 sheep estimated to occur in the Kamloops Lake unit. In the proposed zones, there were 250 sheep estimated during spring 2013, including one group of sheep of over 100 individuals. Lamb ratios have been very low over the last 2 years. In 2013, the lamb ratio was estimated to be 13 lambs/100 ewes. Anecdotal observations during 2012 indicated similarly low recruitment.

blindcast
03-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Has anybody been able to find LEH entries? Wholesale Sports in Langley has none ("ran out and not even Service BC has any available"), Wholesale Sports in 'Loops hasn't received any yet and the Powder Keg in 'Loops says they're not available yet. What gives?

.300WSMImpact!
03-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Has anybody been able to find LEH entries? Wholesale Sports in Langley has none ("ran out and not even Service BC has any available"), Wholesale Sports in 'Loops hasn't received any yet and the Powder Keg in 'Loops says they're not available yet. What gives?

they are all over kelowna, have you tried your service BC office?

f350ps
03-31-2014, 10:33 AM
you obviously have never hunted region 5 much eh? for starters 5-2 is a massive sub region it covers a huge amount of area so maybe look at the map before you post something stupid and dont know what your talking about!! also sure there are reserves on them but they are alot smaller and for the most part there in the areas that there isnt the magority of the moose like i had said in my post! also would say success rates are decent but i wouldnt say they are outstanding in 5-2 i do know people that live here and they didnt fill there tag but if your willing to pack a moose out from along ways then im sure you would have success in this region
Ya sorry, I've only hunted it for about 35 years, so what would I know?? My post was more in reference to all the talking about pops. decline in Reg.5 and the crying and whining we all hear from everybody that's unsuccessful, I guess we should just ask you where the Moose all went! K

ru rancher
03-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Ya sorry, I've only hunted it for about 35 years, so what would I know?? My post was more in reference to all the talking about pops. decline in Reg.5 and the crying and whining we all hear from everybody that's unsuccessful, I guess we should just ask you where the Moose all went! K
what do you hunt up there one weekend each year? i see your from the LML i grew up in region 5-2 and have spent all my life in its forests sure i havent hunted all the region because it is a big sub region. also all the whining as you say is all from the chilcotin not east of the fraser and thats because the chilcotin is full of reserves where they shoot piles of cow moose witch is a proven way to decline a population correct??? and with that said even out there you can still be succes full if you get off the open roads 2012 i got a bull out there was 36 inch my first one ever that same year my brother got a 52 inch and last year my brother got the tag again out there and got a 48 inch moose. but sure the succes may be down but thats what goes with walk in hunts just like sheep hunting the succes will be less with a hunt like that then with mule deer which are easy to find on the sides of roads if you put your time in. so yes in short i do think you have no clue what your talking about when it comes to region 5. and sure i dont know all of it but the stuff i did pipe up on was the 5-15 stats and what they where trying to do there and the reson they give out so many tags and if you have the right get up and go in that region you could easily be succesful!

sawmill
03-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Nothing I`m interested in here in Kimberley area.Good,saves some money.

f350ps
03-31-2014, 02:57 PM
"quote" what do you hunt up there one weekend each year? i see your from the LML i grew up in region 5-2 and have spent all my life in its forests
Well, that settles it then, you win! K

blindcast
03-31-2014, 03:16 PM
they are all over kelowna, have you tried your service BC office?

Thanks. At least now I know that they have been distributed. I'm in the LML so I'll try the office in Maple Ridge or Squamish.

blindcast
03-31-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks. At least now I know that they have been distributed. I'm in the LML so I'll try the office in Maple Ridge or Squamish.

Just got back from Highwater Tackle on Lonsdale in North Vancouver with a bunch of LEH entries. Great service as always, friendly too!

scttcanuck
04-16-2014, 10:57 AM
When is the regular synopsis for 2014/-16 out? Any word?

Moosehunter64
04-17-2014, 12:32 AM
The regular synopsis usually come out the first part of july.

s0ylentgreen
04-17-2014, 07:47 AM
although two years ago the 2012/2014 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/) was out May 28, 2012 online.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/news/