PDA

View Full Version : Boston Bar Spring Bear Hunt

ads7
03-18-2014, 07:15 PM
So me and a couple friends are fairly new to hunting and were thinking of heading up to the Boston Bar area for spring bears. Last year we went up there for mule deer but only saw a young 2 point during 4 point season. we covered the Anderson river and Uztilus Creek fairly well and know of some decent open field areas. Was just wondering if its a generally good area for Bears or should we try somewhere else. As well any pointers would be appreciated. We all use 30-06 btw.

bc_buckshot
03-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Boston bar is alright there are some bears in that area you said but i would suggest tuleemeen or merritt for my first choice. Why i say that better area with glassing and spoting/stalk. That area you said in boston bar is ment for road hunter and my opinion with all the bears i seen when they see your truck your already too close and they run. If they run there small anyways. Big ones will just look then turn away saying " ya right"

GotaGun
03-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Went up that area twice last year, saw one small bear in middle of road,he was only at the 1km mark. Can't remember which road ..but anyways he must be a bit bigger this year...
Never seen alot of animals in that area . and yes lots of road hunters.

Wild one
03-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Boston bar is probably the most commonly hunted spot for lower mainland bear hunters. Yes, there are BB and even some nice ones but not a spot I will hunt anymore.

My advice is drive a little farther. Pick an area with water even a creek drainage and look for green veg. Find water and food you will find black bears in the spring.

There are lots of places not far from Boston bar that see very few bear hunters and hold good numbers of bears. Personally when it comes to black bear if I hear about people hunting an area I won't go there.

You will not find me hunting bear in Boston bar, Merritt, tuleemeen, or any other commonly mentioned spot. There are tons of better spots that are over looked.

No joke pick an area on the map with good access, and some form of water. Anywhere 3 1/2+hrs north of the lower mainland spring black bear are easy to find

bc_buckshot
03-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Boston bar is probably the most commonly hunted spot for lower mainland bear hunters. Yes, there are BB and even some nice ones but not a spot I will hunt anymore.

My advice is drive a little farther. Pick an area with water even a creek drainage and look for green veg. Find water and food you will find black bears in the spring.

There are lots of places not far from Boston bar that see very few bear hunters and hold good numbers of bears. Personally when it comes to black bear if I hear about people hunting an area I won't go there.

You will not find me hunting bear in Boston bar, Merritt, tuleemeen, or any other commonly mentioned spot. There are tons of better spots that are over looked.

No joke pick an area on the map with good access, and some form of water. Anywhere 3 1/2+hrs north of the lower mainland spring black bear are easy to find

Well said, and I couldnt agree more. There are some good older post about bears if you look

Ferenc
03-20-2014, 10:26 AM
They started to twin the power lines so the spur roads have been opened up...you may still run into alot of snow at the junction where Anderson main takes off....Its a nice area..lots of vantage points for glassing...and the area does hold a good population of them..nice area to explore...some big ones do hang out there...large cuts at the far end of Anderson..have at er can always follow uztilius creek up past the swamps and come out in merrit...lots of area to cover...good luck !!!

skuntor
03-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Can you connect up to Murray Lake area from Anderson? Probably the same power line being twinned. Backroads seem to change so fast from the book.

Ferenc
03-20-2014, 12:16 PM
I am sure you can...as you come up to the swamps I have always gone left to Merrit ..have not checked the roads to the right...take a rod and drop a line by the beaver house..you will be surprised !..... not to sure about reaching it from Anderson...more so from Uztilius I would think.

GrandA
03-21-2014, 02:59 PM
how far are you willing to travel -

sarg
03-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Can you connect up to Murray Lake area from Anderson? Probably the same power line being twinned. Backroads seem to change so fast from the book.

yes u can, its being a few year since I've done it (like 8 year) but it can be done, its a good day trip drive

Surrey Boy
03-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Chilliwack Valley, past Foley Lake was good to me. Another was between Borden Creek and the DND reserve between the river and 49th Parallel. Walking makes a big difference, as the critters seem to know cars mean death.

bigredchev
03-22-2014, 05:43 PM
A lot of people and dirt bikers around chilliwack lake lately and its only getting more populated, be real cafeul shooting.Its turning into a stave lake deal, slowly but surely.

Hunt-4-Life
03-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Not sure if you're looking strictly at Boston Bar area, but a good idea if you wanted to get away for a couple days over a weekend or something is the Canim Lake area in Region 5. I would suggest getting a cabin at a resort on one of the local lakes and hunt the area between Canim Lake and the Interlakes (Deka, Sulfurous, Hathaway and Higgins). There's a good trunk road the connects them and many side roads and cuts off that trunk. Bring your fly rods and fish the morning, hunt the warmer afternoon. Only about 3.5 hours further north than Boston Bar.