PDA

View Full Version : bison......for the love of the meat!!

Junmity
03-17-2014, 11:00 AM
I love bison meat but at $15lb.... im looking for alternatives.

Preferably close to the mainland but I did call up to the Rhyason ranch north of FJ where I read they let you pick out a yearling for about 500 bucks but they dont do that anymore.

I like the idea of shooting and dressing my own, not cause of the shooting, but cause I dont mind the work and it drops the cost!

Any ideas or push in the right direction would be much appreciated!!

Actual experience or contacts are preferred.

Thanks!!!

BiG Boar
03-17-2014, 11:05 AM
LEH? It's only $5.

How bout ducks?

Kudu
03-17-2014, 02:10 PM
You can hunt them in Southern Alberta K5 for the trophy -add guide fees etc on top of that.

I heard somewhere you can hunt them in the Yukon as well,

One Shot
03-17-2014, 07:29 PM
I believe in the Yukon you have to be a permanent resident of the Yukon for a year or two before you qualify to hunt Bison.

Check out livestock auctions..................

t-rexer
03-17-2014, 09:03 PM
My dad got one at a ranch in Hudson's hope. Not sure of their names but they were a family of Russians or Amish or something. Nice kids, tough as nails. My dad shot his with an exomax, nothing sporting about it but pretty crazy to see the rest of the heard attack it after it was down, they had to chase them off I think we paid 800 but that was a few years ago

Junmity
03-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Wow! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Did you dress it yourself or did they help?

how much meat do you figure you got out of it?

If you recall any more info it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Long bow
03-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Junmity...i was thinking of doing the same, and was goin to call Ryason...did they say they were out of the Bison shooting business completey...?
Thanks

rides bike to work
03-18-2014, 11:56 AM
They raise bison at the Fraser river lodge in aggassi.

bridger
03-18-2014, 12:01 PM
A few years ago the bottom dropped out of the bison market and some of the local peace river bison ranchers were selling bison on the hoof for $500/$600 and dressing them out for you. Prices are really up now and most are shipping Direct to market. You might still buy one on the hoof, but not for those old prices. With travel and everything probably not economically viable.

Rhyno
03-18-2014, 07:38 PM
A few years ago the bottom dropped out of the bison market and some of the local peace river bison ranchers were selling bison on the hoof for $500/$600 and dressing them out for you. Prices are really up now and most are shipping Direct to market. You might still buy one on the hoof, but not for those old prices. With travel and everything probably not economically viable.

What he said. I used to hunt up in the Peace and stayed on a bison farmers property....pretty sure they were going for closer to $2000. Don't quote me on that though!

srupp
03-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Hmmm helped on a bison ranch shoot years ago..500 dollars for a pretty decent sized meat bison...around DAwson creek..was exellent eats..

Steven

Junmity
03-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Long Bow,

I sent emails to all the bison farmers there were listed in the BC bison association. So far two folks got back to me and one said they wouldn't the other said they sell for 3.75 lb plus slaughter and packing....

Bridger, you were right! they are pretty pricy....

Now i'm thinking of grabbing one from an auction or there is actually a few for sale on classifieds.

Junmity
03-18-2014, 08:55 PM
One person had several mature bison cows for 1300 each. I'm so out of my depth with this stuff that I don't know if I'd be buying a tough old gal or if it would be as tasty as a big one in the wild....

Thoughts?

Junmity
03-18-2014, 09:05 PM
The lady I spoke with at Ryason said they don't do Bison anymore.....

t-rexer
03-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Talked to my dad today. He went back 2 yrs ago and it was 800 for a hanging half at that time. The one he shot there was about 7 yrs ago I guess. Time really does fly. After he shot it with his exomax ( I think they were fairly new at that time) they picked it up with a loader, skinned it, then we cut it into quarters so it would fit into the truck.
we gave the hide to a buddy that lives there and I am looking at the skull right now on my wall.
More art then a trophy but a great convo piece for sure.

ianwuzhere
03-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Ya bison is back up to couple grand in the peace country farms.

There is a bison farm south of Prince George you could check out also..

CaribooBC
03-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Try this http://www.xhbuffaloranch.com/ just east of 70 Mile House, at Green Lake.