PDA

View Full Version : New to duck hunting looking for help

Christhegreat08
03-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Hey there folks my names chris, im 27 yrs old, this is going to be my first duck season this year hopefully im currently living in Revelstoke. I was wondering if there were any duck hunters out there around this area who would be willing to take a new guy out and show me the ropes. I've been working on my calling Skills and gonna be working on my Shotgunning Skills come Spring. well thanks and i hope i hear back from someone.

Kudu
03-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Hey there folks my names chris, im 27 yrs old, this is going to be my first duck season this year hopefully im currently living in Revelstoke. I was wondering if there were any duck hunters out there around this area who would be willing to take a new guy out and show me the ropes. I've been working on my calling Skills and gonna be working on my Shotgunning Skills come Spring. well thanks and i hope i hear back from someone.

Duck season is closed as I'm sure you are aware.....

You have the spring and summer to learn all you can about duck hunting - there are loads of really good books on the subject.

com summertime you can sit is a cool place and observe - by fall and duck opening - you should have them well patterned, just remember shooting ducks on their roost is really a stupid idea....

Good luck in your quest to become a duck commander.

Christhegreat08
03-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info Kudu i'll look into some of them books :)

Ryo
05-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Kudu, would you mind recommending one of the better book titles to seek out?

Kudu
05-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Kudu, would you mind recommending one of the better book titles to seek out?

There are scores of good books on waterfowling out there. Go to Amazon and type in "duck hunting".

Here are a few I like:

Duck Decoys, and how to rig them by Ralf Coykendall

Successful Duck Hunting by M.D. Johnson

Successful Waterfowling by Zack Taylor

And my absolute favourite - Misty Mornings and Moonless Nights by Norm Strung

...but there are many, many more.

Steelpulse
05-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Spend lots of time in the field this summer, find where the ducks spend there time, in kamloops we spent lots of time scouting lots of water bodies, most of which will have no ducks but once we found our spot, we came out with 63 ducks over the season, and every morning, like clock work a huge flock of teal would arrive over the exact same spot, when you find that spot keep it secret, it may take sometime to find it but you will get there, Google earth every body of water and go there see what's there, find blind locations, or jump shooting spots, you don't even need decoys for a lot of places, a great day can be had jump shooting 10 different pot holes with friends and you don't have to wait for the ducks to come to you

biggyun68
05-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Make sure your shotgun works: Join a Trap/Skeet club near you and put at least 500 rounds through your gun - Go out and pattern hunting loads to see which pattern is the best for your gun at the distance you feel most comfortable with - make sure you have really good rain gear and waders - if you do not have a dog figure out ahead of time what you are going to do if you have a cripple or a swimmer: scout your areas: get your outdoor passport: read all of the archived blogs and posts here: See if there is a waterfowl club you can join to learn the ropes:
Never forget you are as green as Vancouver Grass in May and will screw up -

limit time
05-21-2014, 08:10 AM
The Ducks Unlimited web site is also good for tips.