PDA

View Full Version : Narrow Foot Mountain Boots

mike-juliet
03-16-2014, 01:23 PM
I currently have 2 seasons on a pair of Lowa Hunter Extreme GTX boots in a regular width, unfortunately I find them just too wide and have had a few blisters in the past because of them. I am looking to replace them this summer but am having a hard time finding a pair of boots with very similar features (gore-tex, 400g insulation, STIFF, and 10in height.)

I tried on a pair of kenntreks at the outdoor show in a medium and they fit like a glove, a few of my friends have them and seem to really love them, however i seem to recall reading a few reviews on there recently with less than favourable results.

Anyone else plauged with the same problem I seem to be having?

BearStump
03-16-2014, 02:26 PM
do a search on the kenetrecks on here. I read up on a whole whack of boots last night. all the info you want is already on this site. learned lots about boots that I've never even heard of too.

BiG Boar
03-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Try on the hanwag GtX. They fit your description almost. Very narrow boot, I sold mine because of it. Not sure on insulation.

300rum700
03-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Meindl makalu pro should work. Fishers hardware in vernon has them.

Farmer John
03-16-2014, 04:10 PM
X2 on hanwags.

Skull Hunter
03-16-2014, 04:17 PM
I've found meindl's work well... I've been looking at the Cabelas Alaska hunter by meindl on cabelas.com but it's so hard to commit to boots without trying them on first.

itsy bitsy xj
03-16-2014, 04:48 PM
I would never by boots on line I need to try them on in person before I'll lay down my money. I've had boots with wierd presure points but another pair of the exact same boots that are tottaly different. Plus my left foot is a little longer than my right, but my right is the stronger foot.

mike-juliet
03-16-2014, 06:55 PM
I would never by boots on line I need to try them on in person before I'll lay down my money. I've had boots with wierd presure points but another pair of the exact same boots that are tottaly different. Plus my left foot is a little longer than my right, but my right is the stronger foot.

Exactly, I am not afraid of buying another pair of extremely high end boots again but I need more time to try them on before I buy, a quick stroll around Wholesale wasn't enough to really tell me that I was not going to be happy with them.

Maybe I'll drive down to cabelas and try on some menials although they only list a medium and wide, my Lowa's are a Medium and I still have heel lift due to the width of the boot.

snow
03-16-2014, 07:02 PM
have you considered other boots not primarily meant for hunting .... perhaps mountaineering boots? i don't mean double plastics Everest type of boots, but something with what you are looking for: gore-tex, stiff and good insulation. mountaineering boots are built for even more abuse and extreme conditions.... and your selection might expand a bit.

GoatGuy
03-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Scarpas aren't tall but they're narrow and they will stand up to abuse. Have a set of the same boots (Lowas) 2 hunts and they had to be stretched. Never been dissapointed with Scarpas.

Skull Hunter
03-17-2014, 12:05 PM
I understand your concern with ordering boots online and I wouldn't order boots from any online retailer unless they had exceptional customer service. I've found Cabelas has this. It's really not hard to return/exchange something from Cabelas, and usually if you ask for a return shipping label, they'll just send one along with your order.

The other thing I like about Cabelas branded stuff (in this case the boots by meindl), is they carry a lifetime warranty. Not sure how they'll honor it, but I just sent back a pair of Perfekt hiker's that I've had since 2011 because the stitching was coming out, and somehow a hole developed in the leather. If they honor their stated lifetime warranty, and it goes through without any headaches, I wont be buying boots anywhere, than through cabelas.ca. Of course if I lived nearer a retail store I'd buy them in person, but that's just not possible for me.

BigSlapper
03-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Take a look at Lathrop & Sons (Robinson, Illinois) www.lathropandsons.com (http://www.lathropandsons.com) . Ask to speak with Stephen Lathrop ... he's an elk hunter and, with his brother, runs the 50 year old family business.
They specialize in feet & high end boots for hunters - custom fit foot beds, etc. Stephen recommended the new Lowa Cevedale GTX Tech Light Hunter with custom fitted synergy footbeds. I took his recommendation and placed an order. I have a relatively narrow foot and had not tried them on until I received them. Stephen had me send him my footbed measurements - he asked me to measure all the footbeds in all of my boots (some 14 pairs). Funny thing was, having never done this exercise, all of the footbeds were exactly the same size, in spite of the actual posted size of the boot (those of you using European boots will know that your 44 in a La Sportiva, may be a 44.5 in a Hanwag or a 43.5 in a Meindl, etc.) .... he shipped the boots to my post box in Blaine, WA. Fit like a glove. Customer service is phenomenal. Stone sheep here we come.

Ryan R
03-17-2014, 04:49 PM
I have a narrow feet and my Asolo's fit great. Have never had a blister or soreness. They are not as durable as some of the others mentioned though.

mike-juliet
03-17-2014, 05:22 PM
I have a narrow feet and my Asolo's fit great. Have never had a blister or soreness. They are not as durable as some of the others mentioned though.

Asolo boots hands down are one of the most comfortable boots I have ever tried on, unfortunately they are to low and no insulation which is a shame.

Brew
03-17-2014, 08:00 PM
I have the same boots as you and find them great for my narrow feet. I also have a pair of Mendles and they are made for fat feet so I caulked them and where thick socks for work.

xcaribooer
03-18-2014, 05:52 AM
just to add that many boot makers will offer each size in a couple different widths, I just picked up a pair of danners , the 8 1/2 D was too tight but the 8 1/2 EE was perfect( I have the opposite problem of a short fat foot)

mike-juliet
03-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Even for my foot the D width can be slightly too wide, my irish setters are soft enough that i can lace them up and get rid of any extra room but the stiffness of the Lowa's prevents me from sinching them up tight enough to get rid of a small amount of heel lift.

Anyone besides Kennetrek make a "narrow" width size offering? a medium seems to be too wide for my foot most of the time.

VLD43
03-18-2014, 08:33 AM
I understand your concerns regarding narrow feet. I got a pair of Hanwag Trapper GTX from "Track N Trail" in Alberta. Put a set of synergy foot beds in them. Most comfortable boot I have work. Used them for sheep hunting last two years with no problems. very stable and rugged in my experience. Would buy another pair in a heart beat.

kitnayakwa77
03-18-2014, 02:31 PM
I had the Lowa Cevedale Pro GTX (the mountaineering version of the Cevedale Hunter GTX - only difference is color) last season and they lasted from March until September until 3-4" gashes opened up on the back of each heel where the seam gave out on both boots. Sent them back to Lowa Canada and they would not warranty them but would offer 25% off my next pair of Lowas?! Needless to say I have now gone back to tried and true La Sportivas for my narrow feet. However most La Sportivas are stiff, which I like. I believe Zamberlan makes boots on a narrow last and they are generally not as stiff - have heard good things about their boots.

OutWest
03-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Scarpas aren't tall but they're narrow and they will stand up to abuse. Have a set of the same boots (Lowas) 2 hunts and they had to be stretched. Never been dissapointed with Scarpas.

Which model did you go with? Have been looking at them recently.

OutWest
03-18-2014, 09:08 PM

Which model are you wearing? Have been looking at them (Scarpas) recently.