PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Boat with a Title from the States?

GoodPartner
03-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a used boat in B.C. but the seller is American and the title is from Utah. the boat has been in B.C. for 3 years. Does anyone know the rules on this or where I can look up information on it? Is it something that duty will need to be paid on?

Thanks,

-GP

RambleOn
03-15-2014, 09:54 PM
To the best of my knowledge. the trailer is the only issue if registered in the US. Needs to be registered in Canada which requires inspection. The boat is good to go.

Dannybuoy
03-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Yes , but if the boat has entered Canada without sales tax being paid I think that taxes would be due when you register it .

Foxton Gundogs
03-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Shouldn't be duty/import tax if the guy is a permanent resident and they were brought in as 'Settler's Effects"

GoodPartner
03-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys,

He is a U.S. resident. He left the boat in B.C. over the winter for some maintenance when he went home.

Sasquatch
03-16-2014, 09:49 AM
I think it's important to first ensure clear title on the boat, motor (if outboard) and trailer separately. Then you need to register the boat with the feds in Canada (hull registration number) and pay sales tax on it.
The trailer has to be inspected by an approved shop (Canadian Tire?) certified and then licensed in Canada. If the boat was produced in the US or Canada, there shouldn't be any duty on it.

I looked at bringing one in a couple of years ago and that was the process as far as I could determine.

03-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Did it a few years back. Make sure you have HIS GREEN Title paper on both Trailer and Boat. Yes Trailer needs its Ser # on it, sticket on frame near neck of trailer and stamped on right rear frame rail, and will need to pass an inspection at Canadian Tire ..... and yes you will pay Tax when you register and get your BC #'s on it..........

Good buys to be had down south

albravo2
03-16-2014, 10:23 AM
Did it a few years back. Make sure you have HIS GREEN Title paper on both Trailer and Boat. Yes Trailer needs its Ser # on it, sticket on frame near neck of trailer and stamped on right rear frame rail, and will need to pass an inspection at Canadian Tire ..... and yes you will pay Tax when you register and get your BC #'s on it..........

Good buys to be had down south

Did you register a boat/trailer that was already in Canada? I'm pretty sure that you can't just pay duty on something already here because it has to be checked OUT of the US before it can be checked IN to Canada.

OP, I strongly suggest calling customs and asking them your question.

GoodPartner
03-16-2014, 10:27 AM
I am interested in purchasing the boat only. Sounds like that might make things a little more straightforward? I am only interested in pursuing this if everything is above board. Neither the seller or I are experienced in this area. I can't call around on the weekend to ask question so thanks to you guys for helping kick start my research.

GoodPartner
03-16-2014, 10:28 AM
I strongly suggest calling customs and asking them your question.

Yes, I agree.

Sitkaspruce
03-16-2014, 10:48 AM
It does not matter where the boat is right now, it depends on where the boat is registered.

If a US boat, you will have to transfer licence and ownership. If you do buy the boat, make sure you get three bills of sale; one for the motor(s) and any extras (downriggers, sounders etc.), one for the trailer and one for the boat hull. Take the BoS for the hull to Service Canada when you register and in about 7-12 months, you will get a nice little bill from the BC tax man, but only for the hull. I have heard guys who get taxed for the whole thing wjen they reg the trailer and then again when the reg for the lic as they only have one BoS.

What make of boat??

Cheers

SS

Don't worry about duty etc as the motors are probably the only thing that is not made in NA/Mexico.

itsy bitsy xj
03-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Are you guys sure about the inspection? I have bought a couple of trailers out of the US, one was a tandem enclosed 14' wellscargo and I needed no inspection just went and registered it at an autoplan place. the others where small utility trailer and a single axle boat trailer none need an inspection

GoodPartner
03-16-2014, 08:03 PM
What make of boat??

Hewescraft

Sitkaspruce
03-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Nice boat, I owned a 2007 180 Searunner w/115 and 8HT Yammy. A couple things to check out with the Hewes is the soggy floatation under the floors and the dis-similar metal problems with respect the any canvas snaps on the boat and around the windows. There is lots of good info on the Hewes forum if you have any questions. Also, if you do buy the boat, let Hewes know as they hull needs to be re-registered for the 10 year warranty.

Good luck on the purchase

Cheers

SS