PDA

View Full Version : LEH Curtesy

Hunt-4-Life
03-15-2014, 06:43 PM
LEH's are fast approaching and we're all getting pretty stoked to try our luck again this year with the odds gods. I just want to touch on a point of curtesy to those who may not know. It's really important that any draw you apply for, you have some knowlede of the geography. If there is only a few draws to be had for a certain species and the odds look good in the paper, it could be due to difficult access. It drives me nuts to hear guys say that they didn't make their trip because they found out after they got their draw that they couldn't access the area they applied for. I'm all for exploring new area, but please, if you apply for a draw at the end of a big lake, make sure you have a boat. If on top of a mountian, make sure you can access it on foot/on horse/by ATV. Do the guys that are prepared and equipped a curtesy and RESEARCH your intended area to make sure you're not taking away someone else's opportunity. And really, you win a draw for an area where you can't access you haven't done yourself any favors.

Cheers and Best of luck everyone.

coach
03-15-2014, 06:45 PM
So you're in favour of having less draws available in each zone?

OutWest
03-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Nice to see the LEH police are out. What's a curtesy?

Hunt-4-Life
03-15-2014, 06:56 PM
How do you figure? I'm just saying it doesn't make sense that people put in for draws they cannot physically access without having first researched the area, thus lowering the odds for other people that can. I'm not sure how that correlates to less draws available...

Hunt-4-Life
03-15-2014, 07:02 PM
*courtesy, sorry.

coach
03-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Because success is factored in to the number of authorizations given out. If allowed harvest is (for example) 2 animals and hunter success is 30% there will be 6 authorizations. Maybe 2 people fill their tags, 2 hunt unsuccessfully and 2 don't go.

If hunter success was predictably 100% then only 2 authorizations would be given out.

pg83
03-15-2014, 07:21 PM
The odds won't change drastically because of someone applying and not hunting their tag. The odds you see in the LEH are from the previous year(s). The allotted tags for a given hunt are based on previous years success, changes in access to area etc.

I understand what you are trying to get at, but it's not a battle you will win by posting a thread.

Hunt-4-Life
03-15-2014, 07:39 PM
I know you're right pg83. And I do realize that future LEH alottments are based on previous success vs target harvest, it just burns to see wasted opportunity. But like Coach said, if they've built in a margin in LEH allotments that allows for a few no shows, I suppose it equals out.

All the same, best of luck to everyone with your LEH attempts.

coach
03-15-2014, 07:46 PM
best of luck to everyone with your LEH attempts.

Well said!

leadpillproductions
03-15-2014, 09:27 PM
What gets me is get a draw and don't even go for the hunt. Takes away from people that will actually use leh.

moosecaller
03-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Freedom of choice! Mine to make.

rides bike to work
03-15-2014, 11:07 PM
I totally get what the op is getting at. You would be doing yourself a courtesy as well by doing some research it would suck if you couldn't access the draw you applied for when you could have got drawn in a area that was accessable to you. I don't think anyone applies for these hunts with absolutely no intention on going. Drawing a hunt that isn't accessable to you equates to things like locking your keys in the car or going on your hunt and forget your gun.

But yes doing something stupid is your choice.

I thank the op for the good advice. Sharing his experience in the leh system will surely help a couple rookies out there .

Caribou_lou
03-15-2014, 11:12 PM
I'm doing research right now for fall of 2015. I'm not going to waste a draw, and when we do go we'll be more than enough prepared! I suggest people try the same. Makes the hunt much more enjoyable.

ru rancher
03-16-2014, 02:19 AM
haha wow guys take things alittle less serious i totally agree if you dont plan on spending big bucks on a plane ride into an area then dont apply for those areas simple as that doesnt mean you need it all planned out before you even apply just know the basics

Fisher-Dude
03-16-2014, 06:10 AM
I'm putting in all my draws around 108 Mile. Hope and I can get holidays and afford the gas to go.

Anyone know the area and can they post up where I can get a moose and a deer? Thanks in advance.

Rackem
03-16-2014, 06:42 AM
I understand what the OP is saying, just know what you are in for. But I am willing to do what it takes to get into an area, unless it involves a plane.

I think the reason it makes me bristle a bit is because it sounds a bit like the territorial "my LEH area" bullshit. The areas are posted publicly, this is OUR province and no one hunter "owns" a honey hole. They get all sour when someone else wins the lotto.

It would be like someone living in Langley being pissed off that someone else bought lottery tickets and won "his" prize....

Rackem
03-16-2014, 06:48 AM
Curtsy is a traditional gesture of greeting, in which a girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl) or woman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman) bends her knees while bowing her head. It is the female equivalent of male bowing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowing_%28social%29) in Western cultures

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Animal_locomotion._Plate_199_%28Boston_Public_Libr ary%29_-_animated.gif

http://peggyorenstein.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/curtsey.jpg

hunter fisher
03-16-2014, 07:21 AM
Close your eyes and pick random hunt codes

husky30-06
03-16-2014, 07:26 AM
lets all chill children!!!!!!!! OP is stating a good point............. if you plan to put in for an LEH draw (which most of us will) keep in mind that you should be aware of the required time, access, weather patterns, required gear, and other such items BEFORE putting in for that draw. if you don't............ your hunt MAY go for waste and it will have taken away from those who did plan and are prepared for that geographical area. This even goes for new or new-to-area hunters, they will loose out on a new area that could turn out to be their new "honey hole".

Ambush
03-16-2014, 07:49 AM
Let's immediately assume that the OP is a selfish, childish, game hog, hunting douche idiot that wants it all for himself, so hammer him with insults.

Or maybe he's just interested in exploring other people's opinions? Many hunters don't know how the LEH tag numbers are arrived at. It would seem that about half the hunters out there can't even read the reg's correctly.

So maybe relax a little.

Blainer
03-16-2014, 08:12 AM
I understand what the OP is saying, just know what you are in for. But I am willing to do what it takes to get into an area, unless it involves a plane.

I think the reason it makes me bristle a bit is because it sounds a bit like the territorial "my LEH area" bullshit. The areas are posted publicly, this is OUR province and no one hunter "owns" a honey hole. They get all sour when someone else wins the lotto.

It would be like someone living in Langley being pissed off that someone else bought lottery tickets and won "his" prize....That would be me
Buggers!!
:evil:

Skull Hunter
03-16-2014, 08:16 AM
I'll be putting in for area's that I've never hunted, but with every intention to go. If I get drawn I'll rely on friends to help me gather some info, in an effort to make my trip a success. If I realized I wasn't going to be able to make the hunt for whatever reason I'd be returning the tag so it can be re-issued (I think they do that).

I think part of the problem is guys who just copy other peoples LEH cards. I know I've asked a few guys over the years what they've put in for, and their response is, oh I don't know I just put in the same as so-and-so. In my opinion it's just lazy.

SingleShot
03-16-2014, 08:22 AM
The only returnable LEH is Bison and it must be returned to Victoria at least 30 days prior to start of hunt dates. I understand the OP's point and agree that one should only apply for a hunt they intend to take part in. I put in for two new areas last year and made both trips. Found some great places completely new to me.

hunter1993ap
03-16-2014, 08:24 AM
i don't understand the thought process of some?? a guy puts in for leh in an area he has never been and he gets drilled by the hbc saints for not knowing the area when he applied. and then a guy goes out and says "guys try to at least know you can make it in to an area you try to draw" so the tag is used, and he gets grilled for it. man this site is sure petty some times.

SingleShot
03-16-2014, 08:35 AM
I think the OP's point was people getting draws and not taking part in them. Not so much because they don't know the area but because they simply don't have the funds or equipment to make the hunt happen. What is the point in entering a draw if you are not fully prepared to make the trip, last minute situations excluded ?

I guess it is a good thing if you want to feed the coffers.

coach
03-16-2014, 08:47 AM
I'm putting in all my draws around 108 Mile. Hope and I can get holidays and afford the gas to go.

Anyone know the area and can they post up where I can get a moose and a deer? Thanks in advance.

I grew up there and know the area quite well, FD. Tons of moose around there. Pretty much a guaranteed tag if you get drawn. :wink:

r106
03-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Cranky much? I think the OP was making the fair point that some people put in for LEH without doing proper research first, then squander the lottery win because its too tough, or at the wrong end of a lake, or other such nonsense.

I fail to see his sin.

lol. Ya it was a little harsh but there is nothing wrong with putting in for new areas. New hunters have to start somewhere. Most people I know can't take the time off work to spend a week or 2 scouting a new area 5-10 hour drive away. Not going on the hunt because of lack of knowledge of area or lack of commitment would be annoying though.

Ferenc
03-16-2014, 08:57 AM
I am sure any one of the thousand or so that put in for the 3 29 sheep draw have done their homework and have all their ducks in a row.

Shade Tree
03-16-2014, 08:57 AM
When you receive a draw that you have no intention of using, no one wins...this year only about half the people who drew grizzly tags will even buy a license, while serious guys,, like myself sit at home....

quadrakid
03-16-2014, 09:00 AM
trying to make simple point.O
OP tries to make simple point.Not simple enough as others take it the wrong way.His point,please don.t apply if your not willing to do what it takes to access area.Makes sense to me.

mark
03-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Im hoping everyone will have the courtesty to "not apply" for the kammy lake sheep draw so i can win it!

Rackem
03-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Yeah I hope no one applies to the goat, elk, sheep and grizz LEHs that I am applying for...I'd tell you where--but then I'd have to kill ya...

Ferenc
03-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Im hoping everyone will have the courtesty to "not apply" for the kammy lake sheep draw so i can win it!
I am hoping that too...good luck to you!!! P.S no train track pics !

Argali
03-16-2014, 10:02 AM
I think a lot of guys use their second choice to select zones with good-odds but generally difficult access. It is futile to select a popular hunt with the second choice, so people will tend to select something they have a chance of getting. On the other hand, if somebody gets an LEH with their second choice it doesn't really affect those that select that area with their first choice.

M.Dean
03-16-2014, 10:49 AM
The point this gentlemen is trying to get across is this, lets say your 67 years young, you had one lung removed when you were 51 because you started smoking when you were 11, they had to cut your right arm and leg off due to that horrible logging accident when you were 47, and just lately you found out both your kidneys are shutting down because you drank rot gut Whiskey for 60 years, and, if the only "Alpine" you ever heard about was that Stereo you bought "Hot" from the neighbor Kid a few years back, Please Refrain From putting in for "Sheep, Goats and Rosie Elk!!! Chances of you living until the draws come out would be a Miracle for Christ Sakes, never mind going on a Hunt for these critters!!! I don't put in for Goat or Sheep anymore because it seems everyone get's pissie when I rip up a bit of moss and fungus way up the mountains where the tree's don't even grow!!! Hell, I made some nice deep trails up in the Alpine so other Hunters won't get lost! Anyways, maybe Now you will get this guys point, if your burnt out brain figgers you can still do a 10 day back pack Hunt, but when you look down at your feet, you can't see them cuz your belly's in the way, take up Quad hunt'in like me!!!

Ferenc
03-16-2014, 11:21 AM
WHEN YOU THINK YOUR OLD... THEN YOU ARE OLD !...never ever give up !

M.Dean
03-16-2014, 12:05 PM
WHEN YOU THINK YOUR OLD... THEN YOU ARE OLD !...never ever give up ! Hey, I spent the last 30 years living like I was still 18!!! That's what got me in this Shape!!! So, my new motto is: When you think your Old, Slow down a bit, catch your breath, then giv'er Shit like your still 18, or until you get sever Chest Pains!!! Jeez, wonder if I'll make it till Hunt'in Season?

Rackem
03-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Hahahaha! reminds me of a recent conversation I had with a portly fella, who was wheezing and puffing just walking a few steps, that an Alpine sheep hunt was on his "bucket list"...I was thinking, man, the first half hour would BE your bucket...unless of course he made some drastic life changes..I hope he does.

Sniperdan
03-16-2014, 02:08 PM

Well, since you asked nicely. I won't apply for that sheep draw this year. No guarantees for next year though! :wink:

markomoose
03-16-2014, 06:17 PM
YOU will all curtsey to me when I get all my draws heheheheh!

moosinaround
03-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah I hope no one applies to the goat, elk, sheep and grizz LEHs that I am applying for...I'd tell you where--but then I'd have to kill ya...
Elk LEH? do you remember where you live? Silly lady!!!;)moosin

OutWest
03-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Hunter success is factored in when determining the number of authorizations given out. Whether someone uses the tag and is unsuccessful or doesn't go at all makes no difference, the result is the same.

curt
03-16-2014, 07:22 PM
I think i understand what he is getting at atleast partially anyway i laugh every year count how many times you see a post that sounds something like " hey I got an leh for this area but Ive never been there can someone please help me out and blah blah blah"

boxhitch
03-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Nothing wrong with that , the dream has to start somewhere
and there can always be a hope or dream that the hunt will somehow materialize right up to the final hour of the last day.
I might not have a hope in hades to go on my Dall hunt , but if I win again and get the lotto , I sure will go. (hypothetical of course , no I didn't get on to burn)

albravo2
03-16-2014, 08:00 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but if I get an LEH I will damn well be hunting it. I might not be able to scout it ahead of time but I won't be backing off because the terrain is too tough.

bridger
03-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Hunter success is factored in when determining the number of authorizations given out. Whether someone uses the tag and is unsuccessful or doesn't go at all makes no difference, the result is the same.

Can you explain that? Not sure how that works. Thanks.

OutWest
03-16-2014, 08:23 PM
Can you explain that? Not sure how that works. Thanks.

Sorry, explained that poorly. Whether one goes on the hunt and is unsuccessful in harvesting an animal or doesn't go hunting at all, the result is the same - no animal taken. The number of authorizations handed out are partially tied to hunter success (which I'm sure you know).

Fisher-Dude
03-16-2014, 08:29 PM
I grew up there and know the area quite well, FD. Tons of moose around there. Pretty much a guaranteed tag if you get drawn. :wink:

Thanks coach I'll take you up on that, about 8 or 9 of us guys from work plus wives and kids, should get some draws eh? :D

srupp
03-16-2014, 08:41 PM
FD..108 mile...as in Lac La Hache...?..some great deer and moose as well as some incredible fall fly fishing..if this is the correct area and you want any intel please contact me....deer numbers are waaaaaaay up, as is size..

Srupp

bridger
03-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Sorry, explained that poorly. Whether one goes on the hunt and is unsuccessful in harvesting an animal or doesn't go hunting at all, the result is the same - no animal taken. The number of authorizations handed out are partially tied to hunter success (which I'm sure you know).

Thanks. I do understand that tag numbers are based on the historic success rate of a given hunt and not using the tag won't have a great affect on overall harvest rates. But it does deny opportunity. I thought the op's point was when you apply for a hunt more or less on whim with out researching it and then don't use it you are denying someone else the chance. I agree it doesn't make a whole lot of difference on a hunt with lots of tags, but others it does. Case in point the TAT sheep draw. I know a guy locally that has drawn the TAT twice in the last five years and hasn't gone. His first excuse was that "I decided it is too far", the second time " going elk hunting instead". He applied because he thought it would be a neat trip, but hadn't put any real thought into it.
In the mean time there are lots of serious sheep hunters that would die for one of those tags. I think that was the op's point! Nothing illegal or immorale, but maybe a tad bit inconsiderate.

OutWest
03-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks. I do understand that tag numbers are based on the historic success rate of a given hunt and not using the tag won't have a great affect on overall harvest rates. But it does deny opportunity. I thought the op's point was when you apply for a hunt more or less on whim with out researching it and then don't use it you are denying someone else the chance. I agree it doesn't make a whole lot of difference on a hunt with lots of tags, but others it does. Case in point the TAT sheep draw. I know a guy locally that has drawn the TAT twice in the last five years and hasn't gone. His first excuse was that "I decided it is too far", the second time " going elk hunting instead". He applied because he thought it would be a neat trip, but hadn't put any real thought into it.
In the mean time there are lots of serious sheep hunters that would die for one of those tags. I think that was the op's point! Nothing illegal or immorale, but maybe a tad bit inconsiderate.

Yes, and I completely agree with that. Personally, don't have much time for those kinds of attitudes. Stories like that are a tough pill to swallow for a lot of guys who would make the most of the opportunity. On the other hand, circumstances can change at any time which end even the most well planned hunt.

The Hermit
03-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Key point - If resident hunters don't harvest their quota under LEH those tags may go to the guide outfitters in the next allocation go around! If you have no intention of going don't put in.

burger
03-17-2014, 01:09 AM

That's how I read it as well.

junkyard_g
03-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Stopped checking 'substitute hunt' on grizz lehs for this reason. Somebody in our group would get the tag for our intended area so the trip would be a go, but then one of us would also get a substitute hunt for 600km away. We'd still hunt together in our favored area but wouldn't go for the second 'timbuctu' tag. Even though substitute tag areas are under-applied for, I still felt guilty holding a tag I wasn't going to use. last case was we put in for 7-17/7-18 and my bro got a substitute for 7-40. measure that one out in google earth.

bridger
03-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Key point - If resident hunters don't harvest their quota under LEH those tags may go to the guide outfitters in the next allocation go around! If you have no intention of going don't put in.

very good point!

BigfishCanada
03-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Sorry, but is the 14/15 out?

Wild one
03-17-2014, 09:26 AM
I was taught if you draw an LEH you go on the hunt. Only thing that should stop you is health, unexpected $ issues ext.

As long as an honest effort is made I could careless if the tag is filled or not it is hunting not shooting.

Applying for an area you have never been to is not an issue to me as long as you go.

Yes, access should be considered before applying.

Lots of guys apply for tags they never plan on using or really do not have the time or the means to do the hunt. Sheep and goat tags are probably the most common ones guys apply for and don't consider what it takes to do the hunt.

Seen guys first hand trying to road hunt goats and know of 2 sheep tags that went to waste last year. 1 tag the guy could not physically do the hunt the other thought the area did not hold any 3/4 rams so decided not to go. Both were good areas and 1 I apply for most years

I agree with only applying for LEH hunts you are willing to go on. If you are not willing to go on the hunt why even apply?