PDA

View Full Version : Help needed removing skunks - Kamloops area.

Rich_D
03-15-2014, 09:09 AM
I was contacted by someone who has skunks that are getting into his duck pen and wants the skunks gone.

He is, unfortunately, in an area where they cannot be shot and I don't have the equipment for this but if anyone would like to help the guy out, send me a PM and I'll forward his email address on.

Thanks

knighthunter
03-15-2014, 09:43 AM
I would suggest him spreading/scattering moth balls all around the perimeter of his pen. Always worked for me around out buildings.

bc traper
03-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Were is he located

M.Dean
03-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Jeez, you must have being a fly on my wall last evening, my Buddy came up, they own the Ranch down the road from here, and boy do they have a skunk problem! The best way we figgered out was to shoot them, but you guys can't do that, next best thing is a Live Trap, they will stink in the trap, but if it's small enough they won't spray because there tails down, and from what we'd heard, they can't spray that way? Then, take the trap out where you can either let the skunk go, or shoot it in the head, and make sure it's a brain shot! Moth balls work, so doe's Ammonia, either pour it all around the pen, or use a sprayer. And, I think the most important thing with getting rid of Skunks is let someone else do it! Don't go near the Duck place people, avoid there phone calls, and if possible, leave town when there planning on trapping them!!! If worse comes to worse, Move, far away from those people, you won't be sorry!

MB_Boy
03-15-2014, 11:46 AM
I think lovemywinchester is in this line of business? I could be way off base but I seem to recall he was in pest control?

Sniperdan
03-15-2014, 11:59 AM
If they know where the skunk is getting in and out, hang an oil soaked rag over the opening. Skunks are very clean like cats and they HATE the taste of oil when they try to clean it off their fur. They will change postal codes in a hurry!

mudduck
03-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Had two in a crawl space once.My exwife didn't like how i got rid of them. Note the term "exwife"

redthorn
03-15-2014, 02:27 PM
I have heard (and have tried once....) that if you live trap them and then get a cloth over the trap you can submerge and drown them and they won't stink.

We have tried this one time and it was 100% successful that time.... but more field data is needed.

Jagermeister
03-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Had two in a crawl space once.My exwife didn't like how i got rid of them. Note the term "exwife"I suppose you're the guy that as the story goes forced his wife to crawl into the hole and would not pull her out until she had them in hand.

Jagermeister
03-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Actually, there is a simple solution. Re-locate the ducks. No snacks; no sense staying.

Rich_D
03-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I think lovemywinchester is in this line of business? I could be way off base but I seem to recall he was in pest control?
I gave the guy his info that someone had PM'd me.

I don't even know the guy but I figured someone here would be able to point me in the right direction or help take care of it.

bc traper: He's in Pritchard.

Oddly enough I don't mind the smell of Skunk. Never been sprayed (might change my tune if I was) but have driven by ones that have been run over.

dgl1948
03-15-2014, 08:35 PM
An old beekeeper trick. Two aspirins in an egg. They just go away and have a long sleep.

B-rad
03-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Is it possible to fire a air rifle(high powered 900fps),,,,,if so pm me,,,,I live in barnhartvale

Pete
03-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Skunks are not difficult to deal with. Send me a post and I will forward you a name of a professional trapper in the Kamloops area.

BlacktailStalker
03-15-2014, 10:53 PM
I gave the guy his info that someone had PM'd me.

I don't even know the guy but I figured someone here would be able to point me in the right direction or help take care of it.

bc traper: He's in Pritchard.

Oddly enough I don't mind the smell of Skunk. Never been sprayed (might change my tune if I was) but have driven by ones that have been run over.

Me neither. The hounds have stretched a few... Whatever. lol
No worse than marten lure or some other trapping lures

Walksalot
03-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Jeez, you must have being a fly on my wall last evening, my Buddy came up, they own the Ranch down the road from here, and boy do they have a skunk problem! The best way we figgered out was to shoot them, but you guys can't do that, next best thing is a Live Trap, they will stink in the trap, but if it's small enough they won't spray because there tails down, and from what we'd heard, they can't spray that way? Then, take the trap out where you can either let the skunk go, or shoot it in the head, and make sure it's a brain shot! Moth balls work, so doe's Ammonia, either pour it all around the pen, or use a sprayer. And, I think the most important thing with getting rid of Skunks is let someone else do it! Don't go near the Duck place people, avoid there phone calls, and if possible, leave town when there planning on trapping them!!! If worse comes to worse, Move, far away from those people, you won't be sorry!

I have live trapped lots of skunks and they can and will spray from a live trap.

husky30-06
03-16-2014, 07:41 AM
i had my truck down wind about 75yrds when a skunk hammered my buddy's dog........... i managed to close up the camper but didn't make it to the truck, stunk for two weeks in my truck. We aired the thing out for the entire two weeks with absorbant sponges, air fresheners, and left the windows down............... IT WAS THE WORST SMELL I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED, and i'm a Dad
:???:

frase
03-16-2014, 08:02 AM
I had one under my garden shed years ago (in Kelowna) and I tried moth balls, etc but to no avail. I finally jacked up the shed and called the RCMP and asked if I could shoot it with a 22. Surprisingly, they said okay but be careful. Everything was fine: the neighbour was watching, one of my children was helping and took the shot (actually 5 shots), and then all hec broke loose with the smell and everyone took off running. A couple of days later I cut a hole in shed floor and talked my son into putting on some throw away clothes and putting it in a plastic bag which I then buried very deep. Quite an episode.

Blindeyes
03-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Like first poster said Mothballs work.

wiggy
03-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Put out some mouse traps. They hate them. If they are using a hole the oil trick will work.

Mouse traps also work good for deer and bears.

Fella
03-16-2014, 10:23 AM
I had one under my garden shed years ago (in Kelowna) and I tried moth balls, etc but to no avail. I finally jacked up the shed and called the RCMP and asked if I could shoot it with a 22. Surprisingly, they said okay but be careful. Everything was fine: the neighbour was watching, one of my children was helping and took the shot (actually 5 shots), and then all hec broke loose with the smell and everyone took off running. A couple of days later I cut a hole in shed floor and talked my son into putting on some throw away clothes and putting it in a plastic bag which I then buried very deep. Quite an episode.

Not going to lie I had a good laugh when you said you convinced your son to do the dirty work. Reminds me of my dad haha!

Pete
03-16-2014, 10:48 AM
In some years my company catches better than 100 skunks per year (our best was 143) in situations you could not even imagine. We do not shoot them, use mothballs, Oil on rags, bleach, Ammonia, aspirin (poison) or anti freeze (poison). Do they spray when we catch them.....not very often. We provide professional service and professional solutions to urban wildlife issues

eaglesnester
03-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Skunks are huge carriers of the rabies virus. U might want to call animal control, they just might do something for U because of the very fact that they commonly carry rabies. If a dog or a cat is bitten by one that is rabid it could become a serious public health problem.

Pete
03-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Do Not Panic....There has only out break of Rabies in BC concerning skunks in recent years. This was in Stanley Park a few years back. This turned out to be a strain of Bat Rabies. All the affect individuals were captured and euthanized. Since then there have been no further incidents in the skunk populations. If you were in the East I would have a concern but even then they do have a rabies program in effect.
Getting bitten by any wild animal is a concern

Rich_D
03-16-2014, 10:35 PM
I gave the gentleman Kamloops Pest Control info. As I said it is not someone I know, just someone who contacted me to see if I could help.

Never even seen a live skunk in my lifetime. Dead on the roadside yes, but never alive.

Blair
03-17-2014, 08:47 AM
RE: live trap and drown... I have done this. It works fine. I don't think they will spray when they are confined in a live trap.

Wild one
03-17-2014, 08:56 AM
RE: live trap and drown... I have done this. It works fine. I don't think they will spray when they are confined in a live trap.

Skunks will spray in a cage trap and when it happens it sucks :icon_frow

itsy bitsy xj
03-17-2014, 09:24 AM
............... IT WAS THE WORST SMELL I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED, and i'm a Dad
:???:

LOL

I just spat milk all over my laptop, but it was worth it!

lovemywinchester
03-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Just saw this thread. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I've had a few skunk calls in the last week. All from Pritchard! Looks like the skunks are moving west. I haven't had any skunk calls in Kamloops in the past three years so they are not a huge problem here at all....yet. PM me if anyone needs advice.

Maybe skunks are the answer to B-rad's mystery animal ID thread that was never revealed.

T300WSM
03-17-2014, 06:44 PM
I tried shooting one beside the house one time....that didn't work...worst thing ever...never did get rid of the smell. Next one I got a long wood pole....let the skunk climb up on the pole....picked up the pole with the skunk on it.....took it to a safe place and shot it from a distance...when the skunk is hanging onto the pole it cant spray...worked for me.

dabber
03-17-2014, 10:50 PM
We had problems with a skunk in our moose camp years ago. We tried chasing it away and it sprayed missing us but got out tent. Makes for a shitty trip. If I ever smell another skunk in this lifetime it will be too soon.

bandit
03-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Skunks will spray in a cage trap and when it happens it sucks :icon_frow

X2

and if you shoot them with a pellet gun there's a good chance they "relax" before they die.

Unless you you have a very big yard where you won't notice the smell it's best to call a pro!