PDA

View Full Version : Relocated to Sparwood.

CodyJ
03-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Hello all,

My wife and I decided to pull the trigger on this one, to good of a job opportunity to pass up, and the area is just amazing.
We are both very excited to call the Elk Valley home, after spending my whole life on Vancouver Island, as well as Quebec, this is a drastic change indeed.

New area to explore, mountains to climb, beautiful rivers to fish, and some brand new country and species to hunt. I am so stoked to get out and find places to hunt, learn about the game here, and experience hunting in the Rocky Mountains!

I will never ask anyone for their hunting spots or "general area", only the occasional pointer on chasing a species of animal I have no experience with. I have never really hunted serious mountain country before, and will be learning as I go.

looking forward to a new adeventure.

Cody

bridger
03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Happy for you. Moving from the island to the Kootenay's next best thing to the Peace Country!

2chodi
03-14-2014, 04:51 PM
There a bunch of really good guys involved in the local clubs and BCWF in Sparwood and Fernie. You might want to join one of the clubs.

North49
03-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Welcome to the Elk Valley! I just moved to Sparwood last month, after living in the lower mainland for 7 years. I recommend joining the Fernie Rod and Gun Club. They have a pretty nice range and membership is very cheap http://www.ferniergc.com . If you love the outdoors you're going to love it here, there is so much to do. I can't wait to start exploring the backcountry. I assume you got a job as pit utility at one of the mines?

Mikey Rafiki
03-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Born and raised in the Elk Valley. I would be happy to get you pointed in the right direction. As long as you can access the bush you are in a honey hole. Just PM me.

quadrakid
03-14-2014, 06:21 PM
I hunted around Sparwood twice,found the local hunters to be stand up kinda guys.Least the ones I met. Whitetails,mulies moose elk,bears,sheep,whats not to like about the area?

CodyJ
03-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Yep, Pit Utility at Fording River.
I will be checking out the Fernie Rod and Gun club pretty soon.

Thank you for the offer Mikey Rafiki, I might take you up on that one of these days.

Cody

North49
03-14-2014, 07:32 PM

Thank you for the offer Mikey Rafiki, I might take you up on that one of these days.

Cody

Well maybe I will see your around then, I'm on H-shift.

Brew
03-14-2014, 07:35 PM
You will like it there. My brother lives in sparwood and works at the line creek mine. I've thought many times to take a mine job to live out there. But most of my family lives in maple ridge so I'm going to stay. Great hunting. I go once a year for elk or goats.

Rackmastr
03-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the Kootenays!

j270wsm
03-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Cody

What shift are you on? Im on I shift and know lots of guys on the other shifts. Born and raised in elkford and know the area really well.

CodyJ
03-15-2014, 09:39 PM
@j270wsm,

I am on F shift, starting on monday. Quite the intense orientation process, I like to see that in a company, shows that they are willing to invest in their employees.

Seeing as how there arent any gun shops in the area, I went into Cranbrook today to look at rifles. Looking for a new piece, but that will be for a different thread. On they way, we encountered the herd of highway sheep just outside Fernie, totally added fuel to my growing obsession with chasing a sheep. Loving the area thus far.

Cody

E.V.B.H.
03-15-2014, 10:07 PM
@j270wsm,

I am on F shift, starting on monday. Quite the intense orientation process, I like to see that in a company, shows that they are willing to invest in their employees.

Seeing as how there arent any gun shops in the area, I went into Cranbrook today to look at rifles. Looking for a new piece, but that will be for a different thread. On they way, we encountered the herd of highway sheep just outside Fernie, totally added fuel to my growing obsession with chasing a sheep. Loving the area thus far.

Cody

Just so you know there are three places in the elk valley for guns. Canadian tire in Fernie, not a huge selection but some, gear hub also in Fernie only carry a few at a time but can order whatever you want and elk valley precision in the industrial area in Sparwood. They usually have a good selection of new and used and can also order what you want.

North49
03-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Just so you know there are three places in the elk valley for guns. Canadian tire in Fernie, not a huge selection but some, gear hub also in Fernie only carry a few at a time but can order whatever you want and elk valley precision in the industrial area in Sparwood. They usually have a good selection of new and used and can also order what you want.

And home hardware carries Winchester ammo as well.

E.V.B.H.
03-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Thanks forgot about that. Home hardware in the pass has some guns and scopes as well.

pete_k
03-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Dont' forget Wayne. Hunter1947 on here. I'd say howdy if I were ever in the East Koots.
Honestly, drop him a note on here.
I had to admit it but 25 year ago, I went on a day hunt for goats out of Elkford. Very nice area.

grizzlydueck
03-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Welcome fellow islander! The best place in bc followed by the piece country! lol You will enjoy the lack of rain....

SPEYMAN
03-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Cody,

The dry fly fishing for westslope cuthroat can't be beat on the Elk river.Bushwacking the river above Elkford is fantastic.Good luck in your new home.

Wayne

03-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Cody,

The dry fly fishing for westslope cuthroat can't be beat on the Elk river.Bushwacking the river above Elkford is fantastic.Good luck in your new home.

Wayne

have done that for five straight years ...... it is absolutly awesome.... we stay in the big field above elkford.

Buddy ,,,,, you just moved to paradise

EDIT... The dry fly fishing on the Elk can be beat though...... Wigwam..... it beats the Elk.. just a harder river to access... But it had huge Bulls to make up for that.

J_T
03-18-2014, 06:25 PM
One other thing I appreciate about the Elk Valley/Flathead Sparwood/Fernie/Elkford hunters is when the second person up a road by vehicle finds you parked there, they turn around and go find somewhere else to hunt. Gotta love hunters who respect other hunters. Not the same in most other places.

Always find it interesting that the best world class fisheries are downstream of some pretty impressive coal mines. I love that.