PDA

View Full Version : Argentina Hunting

BCRiverBoater
03-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Looking for information and tips for a good outfit in Argentina. I am looking into a two-three week trip to Argentina with the wife where I can hunt and enjoy good wine. Looking for a nice lodge that she would enjoy where they keep her busy and tour her around. I am wanting to spend about 10 days chasing a good stag. Also would like a blackbuck for sure which looks easy. Tossing around buffalo and puma. Not really looking for deer species or any of the sheep. Will take in one day of dove hunting for sure. Other then that some good sight seeing and some good food and great wine. I am a big Malbec fan so can't wait to tour some winery's and just relax.

Any good outfits and references will be appreciated. The nicer the lodge and the better the food, the easier to convince the wife it is a great idea for 2015.

Bear Chaser
03-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Scout it for me Trent. Been thinking I need the same type of holiday.

BCHunterFSJ
03-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Been there done that!
Will post some info for you guys when I get home...

Vic

BiG Boar
03-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Do you want a free range stag or is high fenced okay? In my opinion its one of the nicest places to travel to with the wife. It is incredible. I would plan for minimum 2 days of dove hunting. I did 4 days, and it was awesome.

trapntrav
03-14-2014, 02:39 PM
My wife and I went with these guys last year. http://www.tgboutfitters.com/v2/en/index_en.html and highly recommend them. We hunted the high fenced area mostly but I knew that going into it, it was still challenging and fun. They had free range hunting as well but not the stag quality I was looking for. Ended up shooting a Red Stag, Blackbuck, Asian Water Buffalo, fallow deer and a hybrid sheep ( didn't connect on a Axis deer, so even a high fenced hunt isnt a "given")

we did a week of hunting and a week of travelling the country (Buenos Aires and Iguacu falls).PM me if you have any questions

BCHunterFSJ
03-15-2014, 10:34 AM
As mentioned above, Argentina is a great place to visit with your wife. Buenos Aires and Iguacu Falls are "must-see"!
I went with outfitter J.J Caceria after having seen a show on Wild TV with "Colorado Buck". You can probably save money by booking directly with Alfredo Perez Safaris (he is in charge of Caceria's operation where we were hunting) . Caceria has territories in a number of different areas, depending on what you want to hunt.
PM or phone me here in FSJ for more details...

Vic

BCRiverBoater
03-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks Vic. That was the lodge I was looking at as well. I also saw it on Wild TV. I was talking with a consultant named Layne out of the US. He is advertised all over their site. Looks like a very nice lodge as that is key if taking the wife.

I am okay with high fence as I am looking for a good quality stag. But for other species I am looking for some free range for sure. I am also looking for buffalo and or a cat along with a black buck. Not sure if I would go for any deer or sheep on this hunt.

russm
03-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Do you want a free range stag or is high fenced okay? In my opinion its one of the nicest places to travel to with the wife. It is incredible. I would plan for minimum 2 days of dove hunting. I did 4 days, and it was awesome.

whats it cost to hunt doves if you don't mind me asking, do you have to stay with whoever you hunt with at a lodge or something or can you get your own accommodations? The girlfriend is a travel agent so flight and accommodations would be minimal if I didn't have to stay with whoever you do your hunting through.

Argali
03-16-2014, 09:47 AM
There are some dove-hunting lodges in Cordoba that cater to South American hunters that are somewhat cheaper than lodges that cater primarily to Americans. Last year, I went with ArroyoLosLeones.com.ar.

The cost for 2 nights, 4 shootings sessions, 1000 shells is US$895, including 2 nights accomodation, all food (excellent), beverages, and delivery to and from the airport in Cordoba (about 1 hour drive). Believe it or not, it is hard to ration yourself to only 1000 shells, so I had to pay for extra shells plus a tip for the guide. I was the only guy at the lodge at the time and the hunting is located about 5 mintue drive from the lodge. I thought it was great value. I hadn't done much bird shooting and was pretty bad the first day but started to get a lot better ... after about 800 shots!

There are now cheap, direct flights from Santiago, Chile to Cordoba, so that is something to keep in mind because sometimes it is cheaper to get to Santiago than to Buenos Aires.

In terms of big game hunting, the hunting areas in the provinces of Cordoba and La Pampa are mostly large fenced ranches with stocked game. If you want to hunt red stag under more free range conditions, you would need to hunt the Rio Negro province near Bariloche or San Martin de los Andes. The terrain there is beautiful moutains and foot hills not unlike parts of Alberta, Montana, or the southern EK. River trout fishing is also excellent if you use a guide or get some good advice. If you want more of a hunting than shooting experience, then the free range mountain areas of Rio Negro would be more preferable than the flat-land game ranches of Cordoba and La Pampa. Bariloche and San Martin are Banff-like tourist areas with beautiful views, lakes, lodging, restaurants, and cool people from all over. Women will absolutely love the area. Scenery in the other flat-land areas is decent for hunting, but mediocre from the typical woman's point of view.

BCHunterFSJ
03-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks Vic. That was the lodge I was looking at as well. I also saw it on Wild TV. I was talking with a consultant named Layne out of the US. He is advertised all over their site. Looks like a very nice lodge as that is key if taking the wife.

I am okay with high fence as I am looking for a good quality stag. But for other species I am looking for some free range for sure. I am also looking for buffalo and or a cat along with a black buck. Not sure if I would go for any deer or sheep on this hunt.

I had problems with Layne Balke and eventually dealt directly with JJ...
I shot a blackbuck and a buffalo on my trip. Blackbucks are incredibly beautiful and the buffalo can be quite nasty...
Unfortunately, due to Argentinian bureaucracy, it took forever to get my trophies back to Canada. However, they have now been mounted and are in my trophy room. Drop by one day and take a look.
After the hunt we boarded a cruise ship that sailed around the horn of South America (Tierra de la Fuego) and up the coast of Chile to Valparaiso and then flew home from Santiago.
Expensive but quite worth it! (Wives love cruises...)

BCRiverBoater
03-30-2014, 02:59 PM
You bet Vic. When things slow down a bit I would like to see the tophies. I really want a blackbuck for sure. Still not sure about the buffalo but thing I would regret not shooting one if there.