PDA

View Full Version : re. give your head a shake co's

NitwiT
03-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Hey mods,

no one told me, so I'm curious, why was the thread locked. My post was last, was it to insulting??

Mark

yamadirt 426
03-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Back from the dead hahaha

limit time
03-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Hey mods,

no one told me, so I'm curious, why was the thread locked. My post was last, was it to insulting??

Mark
I'm curious also?

NitwiT
03-12-2014, 10:23 PM
usually they are good to explain why a thread is being locked. Not so much this time....

BimmerBob
03-12-2014, 10:57 PM
If it was something you did, they will let you know quite promptly, my guess is it was for some reason other than you.

BiG Boar
03-13-2014, 12:20 AM
It wasn't going anywhere that thread. It was bashing the CO's and was negative. It had a fair run. But wasn't helping the hunting community.

huntcoop
03-13-2014, 08:27 AM
I think that it was somewhat educational, I bet there are lots on here that never knew duck punts needed all that safety equipment.

03-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Yep everything with a motor...
and there is a bunch of us that dont follow it..... myself included. 12 aluminum on a lake with the 8hp....

Im sure we all have great stories about them regulations....
i know a guy with his 60 tonne,, legal to run a dragger with crew,,, got busted for not having his little card that the government wants for his 16' fiberglass on elk lake....
he can run a dragger in the middle of the night in a hurricane 80 knotical miles off shore with a crew of 5 but he wasnt legal to run a 16' with his kids on elk lake.... lol

Glenny
03-13-2014, 09:29 AM
usually they are good to explain why a thread is being locked. Not so much this time....

It dint need a splanation.

huntcoop
03-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Yep everything with a motor........

12' inflatable with an electric?

03-13-2014, 09:45 AM
lol ok,,, maybe i was toooo general for some people.......

Gateholio
03-13-2014, 11:18 AM
I think that it was somewhat educational, I bet there are lots on here that never knew duck punts needed all that safety equipment.

Mildly educational. Mostly combative. :)

BRvalley
03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
12' inflatable with an electric?

if it floats and has any type of motor, need the card

BRvalley
03-13-2014, 11:53 AM
only exception is rental boats, provided the renter did the checklist with you, the checklist apparently proves you are competent lol

NitwiT
03-13-2014, 12:05 PM
if it floats, i requires safety equipment, if it has a motor, you need an operators certificate, and if the motor is 10 hp or over, it needs to be licenced or registered.

to the guy that posted about the dragger, if can operate the dragger, the same permits allow him to operate anything smaller, maybe he didn't have it with him??

Thanks for explaining why the other thread was closed, it was not my intention to bash the CO's, those who know me know that I support law enforcement.

Crazy_Farmer
03-13-2014, 12:29 PM
The truth hurts sometimes. And sheeple can't handle it

Foxton Gundogs
03-13-2014, 01:02 PM
if it floats, i requires safety equipment, if it has a motor, you need an operators certificate, and if the motor is 10 hp or over, it needs to be licenced or registered.

to the guy that posted about the dragger, if can operate the dragger, the same permits allow him to operate anything smaller, maybe he didn't have it with him??

Thanks for explaining why the other thread was closed, it was not my intention to bash the CO's, those who know me know that I support law enforcement.

Apparently not true, I personally have a friend who hold (I believe a) 500T Masters Ticket and he is not legally allowed to operate a duck punt and has been cautioned about it by the authorities.

NitwiT
03-13-2014, 01:40 PM
interesting... something to look into. I would assume to that get to his 500T Masters Ticket he took the normal stepping stones of SVOP, 50T, etc.? or did he get one of those grandfathered things.

Mark

03-13-2014, 01:42 PM
he went to court for the ticket, he did win in a way.... they grandfathered him his Tin boat ticket and did not fine him. But told him h ehad to have the ticket with him next time.

03-13-2014, 01:49 PM
interesting... something to look into. I would assume to that get to his 500T Masters Ticket he took the normal stepping stones of SVOP, 50T, etc.? or did he get one of those grandfathered things.

Mark

I tryed googling it to be correct in my info but couldnt find it....
When the pleasure craft ticket first came out it was not brought out in the same department as these REAL tickets.... in order to get yout "Tonnage" tickets you need sea time in different positions on the vessel,, you earn the right to take the test. You would have thought that the government would have put the Tin boat ticket as the bottom rung but they did not, it was a seporate thing. Hence the ferry captain would not be legal to run a 16' fiberglass unless he had his pleasurecraft liscense.....

in my google search i may have found that they got that all figured out now and the tin boat ticket may fall below a 60 ton.... i dunno..... i have my Small craft masters,,, real long time ago .... been a while since i needed anything like that..

f350ps
03-13-2014, 02:44 PM
What I did learn through all of this is if you took a boater safety course prior to April 99', ie: Power Squadron etc. you are not required to have the small boater card as long as you have a card showing what you took. As a side note, the other guy that got pinched for not having his boat registration paper produced it and his charge was dropped also. I think we were dealing with an over zealous CO that was a little too eager to write tickets, but that's just my opinion. K

Foxton Gundogs
03-13-2014, 03:05 PM
What I did learn through all of this is if you took a boater safety course prior to April 99', ie: Power Squadron etc. you are not required to have the small boater card as long as you have a card showing what you took. As a side note, the other guy that got pinched for not having his boat registration paper produced it and his charge was dropped also. I think we were dealing with an over zealous CO that was a little too eager to write tickets, but that's just my opinion. K

Probably should be brought to the head COs attention by both of you though Kelly, if he is writing tickets only to have the charges dropped or dismissed he is not doing any service to the outdoor community OR the CO service. JMO

fuzzybiscuit
03-13-2014, 03:05 PM
I'll have to watch over my shoulder next time I'm out on a pond in my Argo. I'd have to mortgage the house to pay all the fines I'd be getting.

fowl language
03-13-2014, 04:02 PM
jim, just to set the record straight, it is a 350 t0n ticket. this allows me to run a bc ferry but apparently not a 14 ft. duck punt. I have put the officer in question notice of this and told him to be prepared to see me in court. I have not seen him since ,unfortunately....dale

pescado
03-13-2014, 05:23 PM
I have a certificate of competency that supersede an SVOP. The idea of having to get the SVOP to run my own pleasure boat to go personnel fishing, duck hunting, wouldn't surprise me. We are dealing with Transport Canada Marine. That said a "vessel" is a "vessel" and laws do apply that we all have to follow. If you only use the boat one day of the year, or every day of the year, the rules still apply if you are sailing. Some rules seem out of line but this is what we have to have if we want to fish, hunt, float....easier to follow the rules than fight them IMO.

rocksteady
03-13-2014, 06:05 PM
I have a certificate of competency that supersede an SVOP. The idea of having to get the SVOP to run my own pleasure boat to go personnel fishing, duck hunting, wouldn't surprise me. We are dealing with Transport Canada Marine. That said a "vessel" is a "vessel" and laws do apply that we all have to follow. If you only use the boat one day of the year, or every day of the year, the rules still apply if you are sailing. Some rules seem out of line but this is what we have to have if we want to fish, hunt, float....easier to follow the rules than fight them IMO.

Very well put.

.330 Dakota
03-13-2014, 08:05 PM
only exception is rental boats, provided the renter did the checklist with you, the checklist apparently proves you are competent lol

This proves its nothing more than a cash grab,,,you cant rent a car without a drivers license, or borrow a gun without a POL/PAL, so why can you rent a boat without a license...hhhmmm cash grab

Dutch
03-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Your right Pescado I have a home trade master UNLIMITED had to get an operators card ,but, if you bring in your masters certificate they will "give" you one Dale hows that eh ,for free no exam wow what a great world lol

pescado
03-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Good to know we can do that Dutch. I will drop by to get my SVOP. I wonder if we will ever receive our hard copies from Transport Canada or if we will have to live on our temporary SVOP certificates. Last time I was in to renew my masters certificate it took over two years to get the hard copy. Things don't move too fast at TC as you know. Lol.

TPK
03-14-2014, 08:37 AM
The more I read the more I realize I was out of line jumping on folks for having been fined and offer an apology to those folks. I guess I am a little naïve, my first thought was if you got fined you must have deserved it, but hearing some of the stories ... , I have to admit I was wrong. Sorry guys, instead of focusing on the pictures and successful hunt my halo slipped down over my eyes and I missed the real story.

Foxton Gundogs
03-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Good on you TPK that shows class.

Dutch
03-14-2014, 05:50 PM
I will relate a "good" story stopped a few years ago on the last day of the duck season by 1 RCMP and 1 CO .checked all my stuff i had 2 pintail CO pointed out I had not filled in my license with my adress etc. wow 9 in morning last day, ok my fault apologised said man never even seen that in fact never opened the license all year, both CO and the Mountie laughed said ok I was the only one they had seen all morning in the blinding snowstorm and they were calling it a day ,don't forget next year .....

f350ps
03-14-2014, 06:33 PM
I will relate a "good" story stopped a few years ago on the last day of the duck season by 1 RCMP and 1 CO .checked all my stuff i had 2 pintail CO pointed out I had not filled in my license with my adress etc. wow 9 in morning last day, ok my fault apologised said man never even seen that in fact never opened the license all year, both CO and the Mountie laughed said ok I was the only one they had seen all morning in the blinding snowstorm and they were calling it a day ,don't forget next year .....
And that's how it should be!! K

Mike_R
03-14-2014, 10:42 PM
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-courses-pcoc-list-marine-safety-certif-1323.htm

You don't need a svop if you have one the certificates of competency listed on this website that "made in bc" posted a link to earlier. You do have to carry a copy of your certificate though.

wicket
04-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Yep good and bad folks in all power ppositions whether it be police,MOL inspectors COs or feds. I always put myself in their shoes. They spend most of their careers being lied to in some fashion or another. The experienced people can be reasonable nd know if you are feeding them a line of bs. Being in the public works field my ass tightens enough to crack walnuts when ministry of labour inspectors show up on my job sites. A lot are young and despite best efforts to comply, if they want to get you they will. Moral is to do your best to comply with the law.

Now everyone head on over to the buy sell area im looking to trade a case of 20g tungsten matrix for something

cannotsin1
06-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Perhaps the COS trolling the site and bashing and or shut down anything truth full or not in their favor.