PDA

View Full Version : Hoover Lake behind Mission.

Big Lew
03-12-2014, 07:31 PM
It promised to be such a beautiful day so I took my dog, as well as a 'just in case' pack, and drove to the locked gate across the road from the Mission Garbage Dump, parked, and headed out. For those that haven't hiked to Hoover Lake, it is about an 1 to 1 1/2 hour hike up steep logging road grades, so if your legs are out of shape, be forewarned, and coming back down is even harder on them, especially if you're carrying a heavy pack. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't see very much sign of deer or bear, and none of cougars. Last year during my trips I saw several deer, a couple of bear, and 2 partly eaten deer carcasses with cougar tracks around them. For this reason I kept my dog close whenever going by possible ambush spots.
When I could see the lake from the road, I was again disappointed as it looked completely frozen over. I continued past the lake and hiked well above it to the end of the road and a great view of Stave Lake. On my way back I took the good trail (marked by a red ribbon) that parallels the swampy outlet from Hoover Lake. In short time I was at the lake and was happy to see that there were large parts of the lake free from ice. I continued along the west side of the lake on this trail and then continued following it back to the logging road. Someone(s) has done a pretty good job fixing this trail up recently, repairing or replacing some footbridges, and cutting out the numerous windfalls.
For those interested in fishing, I expect the lake will be mostly free of ice in another week or so. The lake shore around most of this lake is choked with drift logs, so it's pretty hard to get out for fishing unless you bring along a 'swede saw' (with a blade cover so as not to puncture your raft or float tube) The fishing early in the year is actually quite good, especially for a lake so close to the valley.
I wasn't in a hurry and the round trip, including the hike well past it, and circumnavigating the lake, took this 'a bit chubby' 68 yr old 4 hours.

SingleShot
03-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Great review for those in the area. I'm sure your dog enjoyed his day!

Buck
03-12-2014, 09:19 PM
I fished that lake a few years back with my floatube.It has descent sized Cutties in it.