PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Samples Needed

2chodi
03-12-2014, 09:25 AM
I got this from our local wildlife manager:

Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 15:00
To: Baccante, Nick FLNR:EX; Heard, Douglas FLNR:EX; Williams, Mark FLNR:EX; Burwash, Michael FLNR:EX; Krebs, John A FLNR:EX; Ashworth, Darrell ENV:EX; Ramsay, Mike K FLNR:EX
Cc: Rob Serrouya (rserrouya@telus.net); Scott McNay (Scott.mcnay@wildlifeinfometrics.com); Craig, Kate FLNR:EX; Nelson, Cait FLNR:EX
Subject: Wolf samples

Hi you all,
As some of you know we have identified a new tapeworm parasite in coyotes and wolves in BC and also other locations in western Canada. See http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8945973. It appears to be similar to the European strain that is rapidly expanding with changes in red fox distribution and has caused a very nasty health risk to humans.

I’ve been lucky enough to partner with a researcher in Saskatchewan and she is providing a summer student to help us understand better what the distribution of this parasite is - in our province. It seems to be fairly prevalent in western Canadian coyotes and wolves – see http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8945973

It is not an esoteric (AKA useless + academic) study as this tapeworm IS transmissible to humans and it DOES cause severe disease. So it is a good idea to know where it is and is not.

All I need is access to 6 – 12 adult wolf carcasses in each region. Can you help me? Frozen is fine. We will transport to Abbotsford and she can collect the intestines or we could move her to the carcasses. Its not for a month or two yet.

Please help?
Helen

Helen Schwantje DVM, MSc
Wildlife Veterinarian/Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch
Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources Operations
Ph 250-953-4285/

bc traper
03-12-2014, 09:44 AM
What region are you in Are you a trapper and is that why they sent it to you

2chodi
03-12-2014, 09:52 AM
What region are you in Are you a trapper and is that why they sent it to you

Im in 7B - specifically Fort St. John. I am not a trapper. It was sent to me because I am on the local wildlife manager's mailing list because of my history of committee work with them.

wrenchhead
03-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Tape worm eh maybe gods doing his job and bringing the dog numbers down the way the antis would rather see it! Wish I could help with some samples.

Sander
03-13-2014, 08:19 AM
I know a trapper that traps about a 100 miles west of Quesnel that gets a lot of wolves and coyotes,I will let him know about this asp.