PDA

View Full Version : Goota Like It When...

IronNoggin
03-10-2014, 07:04 PM
A Fed Judge actually calls DFO Out for "Fudging The Numbers"!

KUDOS Judge Mandamin, for recognizing what so many of us have known for a very long time... http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/hangloose.gif

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/dfo-fudging-the-numbers-court-finds-bars-commercial-fishery-off-vancouver-island/article17391117/

Cheers,
Nog

longstonec
03-10-2014, 07:45 PM
"...solid fisheries science...." I am going to remember that line!

squeeze
03-10-2014, 08:12 PM
That's a fantastic decision!! Hopefully this a solid beginning for the protection and restoration of west coast fisheries!!

Thanks for sharing!!

ydouask
03-11-2014, 07:12 AM
Holy Moley... a decision based on the needs of the FISH, period. Amazing. Lets hope that this decision will get the attention of the DFO and be the beginning of some needed science based management on the West Coast.:-D

Ambush
03-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Holy Moley... a decision based on the needs of the FISH, period. Amazing. Lets hope that this decision will get the attention of the DFO and be the beginning of some needed science based management on the West Coast.:-D

Or just caving to Indian demands and further entrenching their "right" to regulate our wildlife resources.

squeeze
03-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Or just caving to Indian demands and further entrenching their "right" to regulate our wildlife resources.

What's the alternative to the effect you describe? "Progress" as envisioned by us development-crazed whiteys? More fish farms? Plow down, pave over and build up every last square inch of wilderness and claim that the extinction of every species along the way was just part of the price?

Canada's FN's are the only group, aside from enviro NGO's, that have the political clout to check the goofiness that is destroying Canada's wilderness. In short, FN's have constitutional priority to resources like wildlife, so I'd rather see them "regulate" it than lose it forever.

IronNoggin
03-13-2014, 06:08 AM
Page 8 of the Judge's Decision:

"The setting of the total allowable catch at 10% instead of 20% as a precautionary measure is, in my view, “fudging the numbers.” It is not science-based, but in effect a statement “there is a conservation concern here, but if the fishery is to be opened, take less.” Adoption of this approach is being used to sidestep the conservation assessment.
It seems to me once the Minister and the DFO depart from science-based assessments the integrity of fisheries management system is harmed. "

http://www.ratcliff.com/sites/default/files/news_articles/T-404-14%20Reasons%20for%20Order%20and%20Order%202014022 8.pdf

Cheers,
Nog

Ambush
03-13-2014, 06:44 AM
In short, FN's have constitutional priority to resources like wildlife, so I'd rather see them "regulate" it than lose it forever.

So stopping any and every employment opportunity in their area until enough money shows up is "regulating" the resource?

Sorry Sqeeze, but Indians get a total "Fail" on being stewards of the land and wildlife.

squeeze
03-14-2014, 11:48 AM
So stopping any and every employment opportunity in their area until enough money shows up is "regulating" the resource?

Sorry Sqeeze, but Indians get a total "Fail" on being stewards of the land and wildlife.

Ambush: don't be sorry, give me facts. Your argument is vague. How many employment opportunities have been scuttled and for what reasons?

Our government regulated free-market system has done far more damage to Canada's resources than any band, from the over-use of pesticides to careless forestry practices and land development. Did you know, for instance, that aquaculture is exempt from EA? How's that for resource management?

Blair
03-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Let's hope that people remember this at election time! Sadly, it is not likely.

Stresd
03-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Question that I didn't see answered, or must have missed in the article. Are the FN's going to do their part and halt their fishery as well??

IronNoggin
03-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Question that I didn't see answered, or must have missed in the article. Are the FN's going to do their part and halt their fishery as well??

FYI: Their version of a herring "fishery" is to lay out limbs and boughs into the water, and then collect the spawn (eggs) as the targeted product. Little interest amongst the vast majority of them in actually eating a herring. So the vast majority of the fish are given the chance to do it all over again.

And, Yes, they are not considering any "fishery" of any magnitude this season. Following in the footsteps of the last many years due to the commercial fleet basically wiping the herring off the map.

Cheers,
Nog

dryflyguy57
03-14-2014, 06:30 PM
FYI: Their version of a herring "fishery" is to lay out limbs and boughs into the water, and then collect the spawn (eggs) as the targeted product. Little interest amongst the vast majority of them in actually eating a herring. So the vast majority of the fish are given the chance to do it all over again.

And, Yes, they are not considering any "fishery" of any magnitude this season. Following in the footsteps of the last many years due to the commercial fleet basically wiping the herring off the map.

Cheers,
Nog
Did the Indians do away with roe on kelp licenses as they used to have ponds mainly in the past . Thought there were still roe on kelp licenses on the west coast being fishes by the bands . There is a bit of free spawning but not sure if that is just for their consumption as the big market is roe on kelp for Japan which does do harm to the stocks . Just curious as I have been out of touch for a few years .