PDA

View Full Version : First Time Turkey Hunt in Okanagan?

loarah
03-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Hey all!

I am a new user on this website and a new hunter as well. Some friends, my boyfriend and I are planning on going on a wild turkey and (hopefully) black bear hunt this April in the Okanagan. It is all our first hunting trip. We have been looking at 2 places so far for turkey. 1) Rock Creek: however, we have heard that although there may be many turkeys here there is also lots of private land to get around. 2) Christina Lake: only heard that there is less private land.

I have been reading past threads on here about turkey hunting in these areas specifically. Most of what I have read is that there are turkeys here and that our best bet for our first couple trips out is to just go for it.

My questions are:
- We have calls for the turkeys, do we need decoys?
- Just how good is their eyesight? Is it true they can "see you blink from 100 yards away"?
- Is it possible to get both black bear and turkey both in the same general area, or are bears not in the Christina Lake area?
- Since this is admittedly all of our first trip, is going for bear a okay idea? I'm shooting 30-06 as our two of my friends and my boyfriend shoots 303.

Sorry, if this is a lot to post for my first post! I am super excited for this trip and to be part of this community, and very eager for knowledge on how to make this trip as successful and enjoyable as possible.

Thanks!

GoatGuy
03-10-2014, 04:27 PM
1. No decoy not required although it will help them focus in on something
2. Good, just treat it like you're hunting wt's - have your background covered and don't move
3. Yes there are both black bears and turkeys around there
4. Yes, bears as an incidental is fine. The gilpin has some good spring bear hunting. Best to stick with one species however.

8-14 and 8-15 are probably the two best MUs in the Okanagan. If you go early enough the kettle fishes well before runoff really gets going.

Good luck.

Mulehahn
03-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Hi, Welcome to the forum. Decoys will certainly help, especially if you have scouted the areas and know where they are roosting or feeding. However, if you are going to be traveling around searching for them a decoy will not be of much use. And yes, turkeys have better eye sight then people, and can see 270 degrees. However, in low-light conditions their vision is hindered. All that being said, they are one of the few species I believe that camouflage can make a difference.

As fora turkey/bear combo hunt this is a great idea. Turkeys can be a challenge, and with the abundance of BBs in BC your chances of success grow significantly. You would be hard pressed to find and area in this province that does not hold black bears. At least, I haven't found one. That being said, they will not be everywhere. Focus on south facing slopes, search for scat on roads (bears are extremely lazy), seismic lines and any place that is greens up faster then others. They are a great species for a first time out, and the calibers you have mentioned are more then adequate.

The only issue I would have is I am not sure how much snow has fallen in the Okanagan this year. I am working in Central Alberta right now and can guarantee that this snow will be here til may at the earliest (still close to 3 feet after melting a lot). I would plan the trip for late April at the earliest. Good luck!

andrewscag
03-10-2014, 04:53 PM
To answer what I think was your last question, a bear is a fine first animal. Both calibers you mentioned are plenty with good shot placement. Read up on differences between males and females and only shoot if you're absolutely, positively sure there are no cubs with it. If you can't be 100% sure then wait for the next one. There will be a next one.

have fun!

Fisher-Dude
03-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Lots of bears in both of those areas. Look for the south-facing slopes and grassy roads. If there's no green grass, go lower until you find it. Bears will be following their stomachs at that time of year.

I've seen turkeys in 8-14 but they were in a farmer's field. Goat Guy is the turkey road hunting pro.

Good luck!

Brizz
03-11-2014, 02:46 PM
The only issue I would have is I am not sure how much snow has fallen in the Okanagan this year. I am working in Central Alberta right now and can guarantee that this snow will be here til may at the earliest (still close to 3 feet after melting a lot). I would plan the trip for late April at the earliest. Good luck!

The snow is melting FAST in 8-8 right now. By April you'll be able to get into the high mountain areas around here if this weather stays remotely similar.

300H&H
03-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Do a search her on HBC for "turkey".
Most questions will be answered.
Where are you coming from and for how long ?

loarah
03-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone.

300H&H, I have been searching on here at all the turkey and ball near specific posts. The ones that I found in relation to Christina Lake specifically didn't seem to be super recent. Maybe I just need to search better though.

We we will be coming from Vancouver, probably leaving on April 23 and staying for a week.

Thanks everyone!

loarah
03-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Eating my words, just found a thread that was last active yesterday with lots of good turkey info.

palmer
03-20-2014, 12:04 PM
If you guys are heading to 8-15 I am more than happy to put you on some Turkey and Bear spots. We still have lots of snow left so bears will get good around May. turkey number seem down but still have plenty. As I said let me know if you want any info on 8-15 Christina Lake Area.

loarah
03-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Hey Palmer!

That would be great! I will respond to your pm.

Thanks!
Lauren

300H&H
03-23-2014, 09:49 AM
If you want to go, I would be willing to "guide" you to a spot. The timing has to work for both of us.

.300WSMImpact!
03-23-2014, 12:00 PM
If you want to go, I would be willing to "guide" you to a spot. The timing has to work for both of us.

"guide" oh no that's illegal how dare you offer that, you may get reported, but um could you guide me to your honey hole?

300H&H
04-18-2014, 01:29 PM
"guide" oh no that's illegal how dare you offer that, you may get reported, but um could you guide me to your honey hole?

Sorry...my wife says "I" am the only one who gets to go there.

Ohhh...you said "honey hole"....I thought you said something else. :mrgreen:

knockturnal
04-18-2014, 02:50 PM
I still got some time off too!

.300WSMImpact!
04-18-2014, 08:36 PM
I was off on my trip tonight only to realize I forgot to insure the trailer, well I guess I will leave in the morning

300H&H
04-19-2014, 03:34 PM
I still got some time off too!

I am possibly going Monday to a "newish" spot. Are you off ? Pm or call me.

I was off on my trip tonight only to realize I forgot to insure the trailer, well I guess I will leave in the morning

I did that one year when hunting deer. I had to leave the quad & trailer behind. I did find "road hunting" to be somewhat pleasurable. Never spelt my beer once. ;-)