PDA

View Full Version : Self made bows

hotshot
03-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Hey my friend and I have been building our own bows and are wondering what the rules are for using them hunting. One is 45# at 28" and the other is 60# at 29". We don't have a chrony but they shoot reasonably fast but no comparison to my compound.

Anyone hunt with their homemade bows?

Aaron Evans
03-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Everthing you need to know is in the regs

hunter1993ap
03-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Bow D
(Longbow, Recurve, Compound)
- Must have pull of no less than
18 kg (40 lbs) within the archer’s draw length. For big game, must have an
arrow with a broadhead at least 2.2 cm (7/8 in) at the widest point.
Bow E (Bison only)
- For bison, the bow (does not include compound
crossbow) must have a pull no less than 22.6 kg (50 lbs) within the archer’s
draw length, an arrow greater than 26 g (400 grains) in weight, and a
broadhead greater than 8.1 g in weight and 2.2 cm (7/8 in) at its widest
point.

J_T
03-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Hey my friend and I have been building our own bows and are wondering what the rules are for using them hunting. One is 45# at 28" and the other is 60# at 29". We don't have a chrony but they shoot reasonably fast but no comparison to my compound.

Anyone hunt with their homemade bows?
There are guys on this site that hunt with primitive gear. Self bows, arrows with stone hewn points. They don't talk a lot on here as their often concerned about the agressive tendencies of people on here. Kinetic energy and accuracy are probably two of the biggest needs to address. When hunting with a selfbow, you will be close. Consider treestands.

hotshot
03-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the quick replies I'll post some pics after work will use the bow on a whitey from a blind 15 yard shot range

hotshot
03-13-2014, 06:45 PM
as promised

Foxtail
03-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Cool looking bows... Nice bear compound too.

uraarchr
03-13-2014, 07:01 PM
nice looking bows.thats on my list to do one day

tailgate77
03-13-2014, 08:31 PM
I just built a maple board bow this winter. It has been a ton if fun learning to shoot it, making strings, and handling the wood. It draws #43 at 28", so I will take it out this fall, unless I build another one thats slightly heavier. If your interested in Trad hunting, download and listen to "The traditional bowhunting and wilderness podcast". It has been really helpful in my understanding of the sport, the ethics, and the simplicity of Trad. I am a lifer now lol

Lil Bow Pete
03-23-2014, 02:43 AM
Yea I hunt with bows I make myself. 4 deer in the last 4 seasons with 3 different bows. Be careful about building bows. Once you start it is impossible to stop. Its like crack addicts who are always chasing that first high. You will always be trying to make that perfect bow.Enjoy the addiction.

riflebuilder
03-23-2014, 06:07 AM
The first deer I shot with my longbow was a book mulie. I don't know who was more surprised me or the deer. He pilled up in 40 yrds. I have made a few bows over the years and if my shoulder would allow it I would still shoot them.

J_T
03-23-2014, 06:19 AM
It's nice to see there are more users on here (than perhaps believed) who have an appreciation for selfbows and the pursuit using more simplistic values.

NorfolkBoy
03-26-2014, 02:24 PM
I've been making bows of one sort or another since I was a kid. I've been recently impressed by bundle "survival bows", but to me, nothing is quite as sweet as well made traditional bow. I'm encouraged to see B.C. has anticipated the desire I think any hunter who tries to make their own bow will have.

I'm not sure how far regards weather proofing I'd trust my own skills as a bowyer, as a British winter was enough to Catastrophically fail my old warbow. On the other hand, I'd hope my skills have improved since then.

hardnocks
03-26-2014, 03:54 PM
i have been fooling around making yew wood bows. Nice bows but time is preventing a lot of hunting with one

hunter1993ap
03-26-2014, 04:36 PM
where do you guys get wood for making bows? I've had a hard time finding yew, and other hard woods that are recommended for bows.

OutWest
03-26-2014, 04:43 PM
where do you guys get wood for making bows? I've had a hard time finding yew, and other hard woods that are recommended for bows.

Might wanna look a little East of where you're at for Yew.

hotshot
03-26-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm a fan of hickory, you can get decent boards at local hardwood suppliers, I used Reimer out in Abbotsford but for yew I think you'd have to special order some.

hardnocks
03-26-2014, 08:41 PM
there is lots of yew wood around if you live in southern bc. only about 5% will be good enough for a bow

NorfolkBoy
03-27-2014, 12:02 PM
I was always told that the best yew comes from high altitudes in the NW of the Americas. the slow growth, with dense, tightly packed heart wood is what was desired most. English yes is very rarely suitable for even mediocre bows, due to it's quick growth and prevalent knots and imperfections.

hardnocks
03-27-2014, 03:41 PM
yew wood around the 1300 foot range works good . to make a bow you need both hartwood and sapwood.

The Hermit
03-28-2014, 08:42 PM
I signed up for this course coming up May 9 - 11 plus the arrow making day on the 12th. Only two spots left in the Victoria area. http://www.ravenbeak.com/standard-bow-workshop.html Really looking forward to this one and to having a nice self bow and dozen arrows at the end of the course! Everything supplied for the course and I have a couple extra staves that I hope will become bows in the next couple months.

BradB
03-28-2014, 09:00 PM
I signed up for this course coming up May 9 - 11 plus the arrow making day on the 12th. Only two spots left in the Victoria area. http://www.ravenbeak.com/standard-bow-workshop.html Really looking forward to this one and to having a nice self bow and dozen arrows at the end of the course! Everything supplied for the course and I have a couple extra staves that I hope will become bows in the next couple months.
Friend of mine did the course last year and really enjoyed it. She's working on making a couple bows on her own now.

BraveKnight
11-28-2014, 10:26 AM
My Red Oak Pyramid bow is getting closer to being complete. This is my first bow that I have made and have enjoyed the process. Right now the tiller looks good just have to cut the draw weight down by just over 1/2. Currently pulling at 100 lbs at 20 inches.