PDA

View Full Version : Last goose hunt of the season

biggyun68
03-10-2014, 08:25 AM
I turned up at a new door in at a strange neighborhood for me in the Valley at 5:30 am. I has been invited on a goose hunt by one of the old boys to one of his hallowed areas: The clocks had gone back and I was worried when my host did not answer the requested call upon arrival that he was still sleeping unaware of the change: Do I knock on his door, do I call again.... I do not want to blow this invite by being overly keen:
The appointed time to meet came and went and my anxiousness started to grow. It had been an unlucky hunting year for me: Mom dying, Hunting partner getting a job, work and weather being unpredictable .... it seemed to be not "my year" for hunting.

To keep calm I reflected back upon my start at water-fowling in January of last year: The partner and I made out to the beach 3 times at the end of duck season to "give a shot" no calls, no decoys, - just shotguns, waders and optimism. Oh and some sound advise from seasoned waterfowlers about ethics and etiquette. We ff had a blast froze our conjones and harvested zero ducks. We learned a lot and promised each other we would continue waterfowling.
And then I received a mysterious and cryptic PM on Hunting BC at the end of January....

edgy
03-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Come on, ya can't leave us hanging like that :) please feel free to continue your story

snow
03-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Mysterious and cryptic PM ... that sounds pretty exciting, hopefully it also contained a map? :-)

fowl language
03-10-2014, 08:31 PM
I would not look forward to a map , he has been schooled in the art of loose lips....fowl

martyonthewater
03-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Always nice to see a new hunter get a helpful nudge from the community. I take my hat off to whoever stepped up .

Foxton Gundogs
03-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Definitely nice to see someone has stepped to the plate hope there were no 'misfires' involved in the adventure.

fowl language
03-10-2014, 11:29 PM
I am glad you brought up the misfire addition. let us see how he squirms out of that one....fowl

biggyun68
03-11-2014, 08:47 AM
...2013 from a HBC member named Fowl Language: " I hear you want to learn about goose hunting." ... I replied "yes" ... Fowl Language replied "call me at .........." I called the number and in a slow gravely drawl I heard "Hello that you Biggyun?" "Yes I said: The conversation was short and direct asking about my efforts to waterfowl in the past months with some advice by Fowl Language thrown in.... And then the hook!

"You a BCWF member Biggyun?" "why yes" I replied " Well maybe you can make it to a region 2 executive meeting one day." came the crypic reply:

I asked where and when the meeting was and with enthusiasm I agreed to g too the next meeting and hung up.

It was then my brain caught up with my mouth and I realized I had a conflict... I had to attend a meeting at Broadway and Granville in Vancouver that finished 30 minutes before the Region 2 meeting started in South Surrey at 7 pm. Being an optimist I figured the distance and thought that I could slip out of the Vancouver meeting early and get to Surrey on time.
The day came for the meeting and I was able to slip out on time and made good time on the 99 despite the remains of rush hour traffic.

Now being a city boy coming out to the country to find a gun club on a dark and stormy night in February with out street lighting or a GPS turned into an minor adventure where I learned the back roads of South East Surrey and South West Langley very well and hopefully I will find a use for that knowledge in the future.

I walked into the Semiahmoo Gun Club 45 minutes late feeling embarrassed and flustered especially when I tried the door and it was locked: Well it looks like I am making an entrance now... I knocked on the door and the murmur of voices stopped... there was complete silence as the door opened and a bearded stern face asked me my business. I replied by asking if this was the region 2 meeting and that I had an invite: I was let in and offered a seat... A giant sagely bearded and bespectacled man observed me with a mirthful amused smirk as I awkwardly took my place at the table. The business at hand continued and the drone of voices, hot room and long day took their toll... "SO WHO IS YOUR SLEEPING BEAUTY FRIEND MR. CHAIR?" ripped me from my pleasant snooze ... "Well Biggyun you had better introduce yourself..." Which I did to the stern faces that surrounded the table. The business continued and this time I found the constitution to pay attention and therefore was not surprised when I was next put in the spot light: The new hunters course was on the agenda... and Fowl Language stated "Well we have a new hunter in attendance maybe we should ask him for his thoughts..."

Ok now I am concerned because their 20 sets of eyes watching to see if I am a donkey or not .... and I do not know what is braying ad what is not!

Well I must have said the right things because I was not roasted alive or scoffed at in fact those stern bearded faces held some nice and concerned gentlemen. (Oh and there was one young lady in the room too - she wasn't stern)
The meeting broke up with an impromptu too chat in the parking lot... Fowl Language walked me to my truck and said "Do you think you can find a Street corner in the Fraser Valley at 5:00 am and not be late? "Yes!" Fowl Language turned to leave with a almost dismissive parting comment of "... expect a call..."

biggyun68
03-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Mysterious and cryptic PM ... that sounds pretty exciting, hopefully it also contained a map? :-)

Map of where I hunt geese:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1214/docs/region_2.pdf

albravo2
03-11-2014, 09:04 AM
great story, good read. looking forward to next additions.

The Hermit
03-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Bass tardly link Haha!

field marshal
03-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Sounds like just another BULLSHIT story, unless some pics are forthcoming??? Why are you mainlanders so paranoid about posting pics of your success? It's ducks and geese not Blacktail or Big ears honey holes?? What kind of medication are you guys on for this affliction?? Jeeeze??
Cheers---Field Marshal.

biggyun68
03-11-2014, 12:38 PM
.... Brinnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg Brinnnnnnnnnnngggg:

The obnoxious ringer on my mobile was going off as I drove home from a long series of elevator renewal meetings in Whistler and Squamish:

"Hello Biggyun68 - how may I help you" -- long Pause -- and then the familiar gravelly drawl "Do you always answer the phone like that? You can help me by meeting me at oh dark hundred at the pull out between the Church and the School: I drive a green GMC with a blind on top" "And don't be late - Any questions" ---

Well hell ya: I guess the stress of the day and the difficult commute through the lashing rain was getting to me but before I started blabbing I remembered my late father's advice when opportunity knocks:

"Keep a faithful heart and a silent tongue..." "I checked myself thought about what I needed to know and asked can I get there from the #1?" Fowl Language said "Yes I am glad you asked..." and gave me the simple yet essential directions to the rendez vous: I had passed the first test:

I could not sleep that night and was easily out of bed and on the road to the Rendez-vous:

And a slight digression here- Those of us who live and drive in the LML and who wake up at such early hours realize how close we are to hunting areas when we can drive with no traffic - there is almost a peaceful meditative feeling to it:

The Weather after warm, heavy rain days had switched to partially cloudy and cool: Using the directions given I found the pick up by the pull out and got out of my truck: "Good morning Mr. Biggyun 68..." was the solicitous greeting couple with a cheeky grin. "We have to go over some ground rules before going any further and if you have a problem with any .... well you can get back in your truck and go back to bed - no hard feelings. And if you agree to them and break them you can do the same but with hard feelings. Any questions so far?"

I shook my head judging this was a good time to keep my mouth shut.

"Now rule number one you must ask me if you want to share any locations we hunt; number two you set up where I tell you too and you shoot when I say so." I nodded my head sounded reasonable as I would not be here if it were not Fowl Language and I knew nothing about geese hunting: "Finally if you do not know something you must ask questions - better you ask a stupid question than do a stupid thing? " I nodded again... "Last question..." says Fowl Language "cat got your tonque????" And again that cheeky grin: "Follow me and stay close because you will get lost if you do not."

We proceeded to drive down unmarked farm roads and fields opening and closing gates, crossing bridges until I was turned around so much I could find my way home if I lost the truck in front of me. We came to our destination and when we got out before we headed to the setting Fowl Language checked my gear, taking particular interest in my 870. He looked at the porting and asked "You get the forcing cones done too?" Starting to understand the situation better I answered yes - Bill Crosby did the work: I got a grunt and nod of approval from the big guy "I know Bill he's a good guy" Fowl Language said as he passed the pump back to me. "How long have you had that Remington?"

"Seventeen years." I answered

"Well Mr Biggyun 68 do you know what I just did?" Fortunately I knew the answer to this one: "You wanted to know if I had any real experience shooting the shotgun."

"Your learning - I like that" was the reply

It was a moderate walk to the setting and Fowl Language asked me more questions about my shotgunning experience. The setting had sufficient cover to make a blind in place. Fowl Language explained to me that these geese had been scouted already and that the reports were they were not responding to decoys so the tactics were to call and pass shoot:

"This should work well for you Biggyun with all of your trap experience." I understood the implied meaning behind that comment - "You had better not be winding me up about your abilities... this made me more determined to take my first bird.

I did not have long to wait because Fowl put his right hand up, grabbed a call from his neck with his left hand and said get down here comes a flight fast: He called once, my head spinning around as I kneeled looking for the geese. there they were right behind us coming in 10 feet off the ground, the call made them swing over to us and before I knew Fowl was saying "take em" "BOOOM" They Geese had spotted us at the moment before Fowl shot and Pulled Up and Out with out a change in speed: I took aim but got rattled because I could not pick that one bird out because they were so close and I was aiming so fast:

I got my one shot off and the birds flew away:

It took me a few moments with all that adrenalin pumping in to realize Fowl was swearing next to me.

Oh no I thought I have screwed up....

BiG Boar
03-11-2014, 12:45 PM
If I could ask you to double space between paragraphs it would be read able. The way it is is too hard to read.

xfactor
03-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Wow! have you got Dale nailed down. he's exactly like that LOL!!!

Foxton Gundogs
03-11-2014, 06:30 PM
GAWD! Thanks for the heads up, good to know in case I ever find myself in a blind with the character you speak of.:wink:

xfactor
03-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Haha! You two spent so much time in the blind this year I thought you were roommates!

biggyun68
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
(Here comes the squirm!)
Fowl was bent over his swearing and trying to work the action of the Xtrema: "Damn thing miss fired!" As more cursing swearing and frustrated working of the action happened Fowl explained to me the finer points of Brant hunting and the dangers of salt spray on guns and their actions in particular! He explained to me that one of his hunting partners put his pump away after Branting and did not put enough lubricant on it. He pulled out the pump gun in September to find it rusted solid - fortunately the man some how cleaned and renewed the piece with super human like effort.

Fowl then showed me how to pull apart an Auto Shotgun and put it back together... clack clack clack and it still didn't work.

"Welllll --- (big sigh) that's my day over!" Fowl said:

Feeling completely selfish because I was scared Biggyun's day would be over to if I did not find a solution to the jammed gun. I then remembered I keep a cleaning kit in my pack... which included a can of G96.

"Would G96 and a rag help?" I said and this seemed to rip FL from his dour mood... "Huh--- you got some gun oil there Biggyun???"

"Yes, I do" I said more confidently

The Big guys face lit up and he said " Well maybe your not so useless after all..."

The G96 did the trick and it also won me over for the day at least... We settled in our make shift blind and waited for the next flight of geese. In that time FL shared a little History of the waterfowling community and his experience. He shared some commercial fishing stories, and we asked if we knew each others cousins (His worked in the healthcare facility management business like me and mine were Ladner Girls). Turns out his cousin new my cousins particularly well!

The FL did it again....

biggyun68
03-12-2014, 04:33 PM
He threw out his hands one on m chest and the other on his call: "Shhhhhhhh Do you hear that!" Old fowl stated "....Geese... they are to east of us in the those fields 500 or so yards away" He pointed behind us wagging his giant hands in the general direction of some Hay fields. I must have had a look of disappointment on my because old fowl looked at me with the look of concern that your pee wee sports coach has when you thought it was your turn to go into the game and it wasn't.

"Don't worry young feller when the wind changes they will come..." He drawled with confidence... "By the way how many rounds you got in that gun?"

"Three..." I was curious about why and knew at this point I was going to find out with out asking.

"Oh well ... we can't have that can we?" came the surprisingly higher pitched reply: "You look confused young Biggyun... Well I have a rule --- "

"Number 4?" I could not help asking

A sly grin and sagely reply: "... Why yes indeed it is - you are catching on. Rule number 4 is new hunters start with one round in their gun. I have found.... it helps them... focus and it saves them money." "Once you can kill birds with one round ---- You can have another."

Ok I thought it through especially the 200 rounds shot at the beach and no ducks to show for it. It made sense and hey... Its Fowls hunt. So I jacked two rounds out of the 870, checked to see I had one up the spout, and put the safety back on. I was definitely going to take a long bead on the next bird I could.

"Now young man I need to relieve myself excuse me...." and Fowl wandered out of the blind and off about 10 metres. And that is when it happened...

The wind so slightly changed, Fowl did not notice it but he noticed his dog staring straight to the east. He looks up and sees about 7-8 geese headed straight our way at top speed. For some reason that will probably be never explained the flight of 7-8 broke into three: with two of the the three breaking north and south 100 metres from the blind. But the biggest of the bunch had it's head down and straight; it was coming like a missile, straight towards the blind about 30 yards to the right of it and about 12 feet off the ground. Dale gave a little beep on his call which seemed to make the bird even more focused on its flight path:

And how do I know this??? Because Fowl told me later because I was peeing too! I only looked up when I heard Dale's call and his voice now softly saying"Get ready - Single coming in on the North"

Well I do not know how I did it but I manged to get everything stowed away, myself into a good and concealed firing position and my shotgun at the ready. My Heart was racing as I waited for Fowl's call to shoot.

About 40 yards out I heard a soft but direct word.... "Takem!"

I mounted my gun, pushing it up into my cheek, pushed my right elbow up. My eyes locked on to the top of the rib out to the bead and through to the goose.
I didn't realize that my body was already moving with my eyes - the gun following the body as it supposed to.
I followed the goose with gun for 5 yards it was at about 1 o'clock:

"Takem!!!" this timed at little bit harsher

I kept following the goose flew through 12 o'clock and I was still leading

"Biggyun take that goose!!!" this time Fowl's words were harsh and direct. He was giving me an order.

My gun and the goose where connected and moving as one; the flight path and swing of the gun where waking up something familiar: The Goose passed through 10 o'clock and now I was at the gun club field trap station 2 taking a bead on a fade right: my favorite throw...

Biggyun are you going to shot that f#@k'n Bir..." Booooooooooooooooooom! "...d!"

The goose hit a wall... it just stopped and dropped:

stillwater
03-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Biggy great story. Fowl, all this one shell, elbow up,and concentrate, all sounds very fimiliar. but how does 1 shell help me, banging is money to my ears lol.

BiG Boar
03-13-2014, 06:24 AM
that was awesome. Very well done and more readable. Thanks for changing that.

lorneparker1
03-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Where are the pics!

biggyun68
03-14-2014, 10:37 AM
The dogs rushed in and fought over who was going to retrieve the Goose: Fowl Language was yelling at the dogs to behave; and feathers were flying.....

I noticed all this but was lost in the euphoria and elation of my first successful goose harvest. I had done it!

I looked up and there was Fowl Language one dog held at the collar and the other hand still holding his call with a huge smile! "Well Biggyun I guess we gotta call you goose Killer now!"

The other dog put the goose down at my feet and Fowl Language told me to hold it up and took some snaps with his mobile phone.

Fowl Language's mood had changed, I actually believe the big guy was happier than me! We chatted about hunting, family and business for the rest of the morning as a few more flights came through.

At 11:30 am Fowl said "Well Biggyun I think things are going to stay quiet for a couple hours and I have to go to the hunters show in Abbie."

At this point I had harvested 4 more geese and shot my first double and only used seven shells in total for the day. (I think Fowl finished off the second Bird and said he missed to make me feel better) I had learned about runners, and started to learn about retrievers... along with lots of things. I was happy to listen and not shoot anything but all good things must come to an end and I was being given a hint.

"Want to head back to the trucks?" I said "I think that's a good idea young man." FL drawled

Back at the trucks Fowl made sure I knew how to breast out the goose and keep going to get the wing and leg meat: He suggested making his Coq au Vin recipe (which I did and it was delicious) And we headed our separate ways... after I followed him out of the maze.

Later that day I got a call: "Is this Mr Biggyun68?" was the deep drawl and I had to smile

"Why Yes it is --- Is this Mr Fowl Language?" I replied

"Indeed it is --- What choke where you using today?" FL asked

"Modified..." I replied but asked "Why???"

"You shot very well and stay with the choke. Now I am not trying to bring you down here Biggyun so don't get me wrong but if you want some help over the summer improving your shooting, or help with GrandeJambon and your son let me know. I am only 10 minutes from the club and if you are going to hunt with me you got get better at shooting. The flights we were getting today were pretty easy."

I was ecstatic because the implied message was I had passed the "Test" and not found wanting. I would be invited back to hunt again. "Hey no offence taken I am always happy to learn."
"Can you also send me the pictures you took today?"

"Well Biggyun I have no idea how to send those pictures to you. I am thinking we should go back out on a hunt in a couple weeks - I have some Branting to do - and you can show me how to send them pictures then. OK???"

"Yes certainly" I said and Fowl said his farewells and hung up.

It was like the two weeks before Christmas waiting to hear back from Fowl but the call came.....

heyblast
03-16-2014, 05:58 PM
The call came and?

lorneparker1
03-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Still no pics eh? this is dumb

biggyun68
03-17-2014, 11:39 AM
The whining from the Island has worn me down - I searched and found some pictures. My career as an international man of mystery is over!
(Thank-you Coach for your signature)

Picture #1 My first Goose - you can see the tear on the leg from the dogs fighting over it:

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af180/colinredfern/Colinsfirstgeese4_zpsb8ea3d4e.jpg (http://s1005.photobucket.com/user/colinredfern/media/Colinsfirstgeese4_zpsb8ea3d4e.jpg.html)

biggyun68
03-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Sorry Head!!!

biggyun68
03-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Picture #2:
Three of the geese on Big BOARs Black Walnut:
http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af180/colinredfern/Colinsfirstgeese1_zps14be45d1.jpg (http://s1005.photobucket.com/user/colinredfern/media/Colinsfirstgeese1_zps14be45d1.jpg.html)

biggyun68
03-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Picture #3: On the way to be processed:

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af180/colinredfern/Colinsfirstgeese7_zps25789725.jpg (http://s1005.photobucket.com/user/colinredfern/media/Colinsfirstgeese7_zps25789725.jpg.html)

biggyun68
03-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Picture #4: The kids and I processing:

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af180/colinredfern/IMG_15841_zps1ff8b952.jpg (http://s1005.photobucket.com/user/colinredfern/media/IMG_15841_zps1ff8b952.jpg.html)

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af180/colinredfern/IMG_15851_zps36a003ee.jpg (http://s1005.photobucket.com/user/colinredfern/media/IMG_15851_zps36a003ee.jpg.html)

biggyun68
03-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Picture #5: Finished product: Coq au Vin du Vidilich: Very Tasty!!!

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af180/colinredfern/IMG_15941_zpscca2cc03.jpg (http://s1005.photobucket.com/user/colinredfern/media/IMG_15941_zpscca2cc03.jpg.html)

biggyun68
03-17-2014, 11:54 AM
We used the leg and wing meat for the Coq au Vin and BBQ'd the breasts

biggyun68
03-18-2014, 07:49 AM
..."Is this Mr. Biggyun68??? It is Mr. Fowl Language calling." Came the nasally and mirth filled drawl.
"Hi Fowl how are you?" was my chuckling reply "What can I do for you?"

"I will come to that later? I have some Gentlemen who would like to meet you formally and request your presence on a hunt this Sunday: Are you interested?" Was that a hint of British accent from the big guy???

(To my gain I was to learn that Fowl's sense of humour was as big as the man: I also already knew if he had a problem with you it would not be expressed subtly or passive aggressively!)

"Why yes." was my equally haughty reply

Fowl Language replied laughingly' Good - see you the same place same time on Sunday. You can bring your hunting buddy Squamish Neil too. And Biggyun68 make sure old Squamish Neil knows the rules.”

The last part had no laughter and the implied caveat was clear to me not only would Squamish Neil's reputation be on the line so would mine!

“I will not bring SN unless he fully understands the rules.” I replied

“I know and Young man these gentlemen have hunted with me for a very long time. You will probably recognize them. There are many decades of hunting experience there.”

The last sentence hanging in which I now understood as Fowl's way of making a point and I should be listening to what he was implying – which was listen and learn and let SN know the lay of the land on this hunt. We would be assessed by a group and not by just Fowl.

I called my close friend and hunting buddy Squamish Neil. He was not in and I left a message to call me... leaving a cryptic enough message to tweak his interest. I needed him to call me back soon because it was Thursday evening.

Neil called back Friday....